42 President 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 42 President 8

Hi all, can anyone help with how I find out the model of car I have ? as I am confused between the Presidents and the Commanders. My car is a 1942 ? straight 8, 124 inch wheelbase, has suicide rear doors. But it has some smaller lights in the grill below the main front head lights, yet the wiring diagrams for a President don't show these lights or any indicators, is this correct ? Also how can I tell what size engine I have and if it is correct for the car ?

If it has a straight eight from the factory it has to be a President. What is the serial number?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

The engine number is B 54004 on drivers side of block midway front to back just below the head gasket. Numbers on the engine firewall are 8CW-7 455

Comment

Both the engine number and body number say 1942 President.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Rear hinged, rear doors (with additional small [sliding?] windows in the rear roof pillar) mean its a Cruising Sedan, as opposed to Land Cruisers which had the more modern style front hinged doors (and hinged rear vent windows incorporated into the doors themselves).
          In addition to the chevron shaped clear parking lights incorporated into the bottom of the head light surrounds, the '42s's also had the provision for fog lights (4 or 5 inch diameter? with yellow lenses) built into the grill below the headlights. Cars without the fog lights had small covers over the holes.
          Engine 250 cubic inch I think.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, when I get a chance I will post some pics of the car, but for the moment can you all suggest what all the knobs would do inside the car as they are not connected to anything ? Does the dash look correct for the car ? the knob just above the fresh air knob with the C on it is the hood release is this the correct position ? does the ignition key switch go in that position ? Oh and what about turn signals where would the switch go for them ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170816_184349.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1715931

Name:	20170816_184359.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1715932

Name:	20170816_184806.jpg
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1715933

Comment

Diameter of the engine turnings look a little "large" to me, but I've not seen a '42 dash in a few years & can't imagine anyone redoing those.
              Knob up top just inside the windshield is for the wipers.
              Also, thought that the Presidents had a starter button somewhere up on the dash as opposed to the one that I think I see in your second photo on the floorboard underneath the clutch pedal. Commanders and Champions did have the floor mounted starter switch.

Comment

The dash looks right as far as I remember. I'll get some pictures of the '42 President here and post them tomorrow.

Comment

The ignition switch appears to be in the right location. It was placed further over on the M series trucks and cars of that era to make a shorter run for the armored cable to the coil. The cable was a form of thief protection.
                  Here is a picture I Googled. Lots of pictures out there.
                  Attached Files
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Agree with both #'s 8 & 9, but where should the starter button be? Dash or Floor?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                      Agree with both #'s 8 & 9, but where should the starter button be? Dash or Floor?
                      I drove the '42 Pres once, but I can't remember where the starter button was.. I think it was under the clutch.

Comment

'42 President Skyway Sedan Coupe. Starter button is under the clutch pedal.

Name:	ForumRunner_20170818_085913.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	1715951

Name:	ForumRunner_20170818_085923.jpg
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1715952

Name:	ForumRunner_20170818_085933.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1715953

Name:	ForumRunner_20170818_085947.jpg
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	1715954

Comment

Sorry for my mistake re starter button.

Comment

From a '42 Commander owner's guide.........

Name:	42dash.jpg
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1715960
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

wow guys thanks for all the pics, a real help. Could I ask for a close up of the windscreen wiper switch, headlight switch, ignition switch and the direction turn signal leaver on the steering column.

So as the last post has given a pic of a Commander whats the difference between a Commander and a President ?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X