frame thickness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: frame thickness

Hi there first post for me . I would like to know if there is a different size thickness in frame of a 61 or 62 hawk and how much work to install in a 53/2dr.ht. ? Thanks in advance Rick.

Hello Richard, welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum!

It may take you a while to learn to navigate all the neat options on the SDC Website and on the Forum, but you will enjoy "hanging out" here.
    One of these is the Search Engine up in the upper Right corner, there have been several recent posts from Members doing exactly that!

Yes from a 53 "K" Body to a '62 "K" body is the best option.
    Starting in 1962 the Frames were 11 Ga. so it would be best to use the '62 for the "Hardtop" Frame as well as the 11 Gauge Frame Rails.

Of course ANY Body off of the Frame job is not for the light of heart.

UPDATED 08/10/17
    Last edited by StudeRich; 08-10-2017, 11:03 AM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, OP wants to install a 61 or 62 frame under a '53.
      Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
      '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
      '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
      '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Howard, That is what I am doing right now. Putting a 62 GT Hawk frame under a 53K body. The 62 frame is .110" and the 53 frame was .074". It is pretty straight forward, but he will have to change to later torque boxes and a 1 piece drive shaft. The torque boxes are probably shot from that wet and cold north anyway.

Comment

re: 61 frame under a 53.
          You'll need some mounting hardware under the A post to connect to the bat wing that was not on a 53.
          Will there be problems with the one piece drive shaft being close to the floor?
          Are the rear bumper bolt bracket holes in the frame in the same place on both frames?
          Bill
          http://www.rustyrestorations.org/index.php
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
            Rich, OP wants to install a 61 or 62 frame under a '53.
            Right Howard, I got all tangled up in that '61-'62 statement and ignored the '53 part, Duh!

I'll try to fix it, thanks.
            StudeRich
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

JMHO, but I don't like the one-piece late driveshaft in the early tunnel. Since the OP will have the center bearing support bracket from his '53 frame, why not install it in the '62 frame?

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

So Thank you all for the Warm welcome I look forward to many more forum request and input in the future. So what I`m looking for is a little information between a 61 and 62 hawk frame to fit under a 53 ht. I would like know if there is a thickness difference between the two 61/62 also is there a difference in suspension and brakes between the two? Also which one you would recommend for this project ? The drive train I have selected 5.3 700r4 with a 8.8 diff. and so I think the stock frame for the 53 would be a little weak and I have a line on a 61 hawk frame or possibly a 62. Which one would you suggest the better of the two? Richard

Comment

Post Number 2 answers that completely.

That 8.8 Diff. is no better than the Dana 44 that would be in the '62 Hawk, and it may have Twin Traction.
                  Moser Flanged Axles are available for the 44.
                  Modifying the track is lot of work and expensive.

All Suspension and Brakes for the most part from 1954 to 1966 is the same, with finned drums on '56 to '66 289 & 283 Cars.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

[QUOTE=StudeRich;1068714]Post Number 2 answers that completely.

That 8.8 Diff. is no better than the Dana 44 that would be in the '62 Hawk, and it may have Twin Traction.

All Suspension and Brakes for the most part from 1954 to 1966 is the same, with finned drums on '56 to '66 289 & 283 Cars.[/QUOTE

Hi Richard... Rear leafs ARE different. The GT Hawk leaf is shorter in front of the axle than on a 54, the front mount moved back. Just finishing up a modified 62 chassis for my 54.

Also note that a 95-01 Explorer 8.8 rear axle (3.73 is most common) is a posi, and comes with 11 inch discs. I'd agree that a flanged axle posi Dana 44 is probably as good, and I'd use one on a stock resto, but I priced out the rebuild/axle upgrade/brake upgrade and went with an 8.8. Plus it narrows easily. Left axle insert is just under 3" shorter than right, so shorten the left housing and install 2 rights. You do have to change the spring pad locations whether using as is or narrowing. Also the Explorer rear sway bar is stout, and I think fairly easy to incorporate.

I wound up going with tri bar 4 link suspension with coilovers but dropping an 8.8 onto leafs is an easy mod. I could have saved months. Yes I'm sticking with Stude power.

-John Deprey

Comment

[QUOTE=retrostude;1137965]
                      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Post Number 2 answers that completely.

All Suspension and Brakes for the most part from 1954 to 1966 is the same, with finned drums on '56 to '66 289 & 283 Cars.[/QUOTE

Hi Richard... Rear leafs ARE different. The GT Hawk leaf is shorter in front of the axle than on a 54, the front mount moved back. Just finishing up a modified 62 chassis for my 54.

Also note that a 95-01 Explorer 8.8 rear axle (3.73 is most common) is a posi, and comes with 11 inch discs. I'd agree that a flanged axle posi Dana 44 is probably as good, and I'd use one on a stock resto, but I priced out the rebuild/axle upgrade/brake upgrade and went with an 8.8. Plus it narrows easily. Left axle insert is just under 3" shorter than right, so shorten the left housing and install 2 rights. You do have to change the spring pad locations whether using as is or narrowing. Also the Explorer rear sway bar is stout, and I think fairly easy to incorporate.

I wound up going with tri bar 4 link suspension with coilovers but dropping an 8.8 onto leafs is an easy mod. I could have saved months. Yes I'm sticking with Stude power.

-John Deprey
                      The Stude Dana 44 has the pinion offset 1" to the right of the axle centerline. Your 8.8 should be built the same. By the way, the Ford 8.8 is a near copy of the GM 12 bolt. The 8.8 ring gear is bigger and the assembly stronger than a 8.5" Dana 44. The Dana is still a good axle assembly especially the later Avanti II units with 30 spline axles and 2.750 tubes.
                      james r pepper

Comment

FWIW, I've never broken a Dana 44 housing or gearset behind a Stude V8. There are one or two here who have, but only after subjecting those sixty-year-old parts to hundreds of full-throttle drag strip starts.

But yes, flanged axles should be included in the price of upgrading the Dana 44 versus swapping in the Ford 8.8.

And yes, it's nice to get the rear disc brakes for free, but I'd never be able to cost-justify adding them to a Dana 44. The rear wheels of an Avanti are barely still touching the pavement on a full hard stop. The last thing it needs is more rear brake. On a C/K, the rear wheels carry a bit more weight, but again rear discs aren't really required.

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

And yes, it's nice to get the rear disc brakes for free, but I'd never be able to cost-justify adding them to a Dana 44. The rear wheels of an Avanti are barely still touching the pavement on a full hard stop. The last thing it needs is more rear brake. On a C/K, the rear wheels carry a bit more weight, but again rear discs aren't really required.

jack vines
                          Adding rear disk brakes to a Dana 44 is super easy and cheap. It'll just cost the price of a piece of 3/8" steel plate and a couple Mustang calipers, rotors and hoses; $75 at a wrecker, (get all the bolts and lug bolts too while you're at it). It will also cost a little of your time, drilling holes in the plate and bolting it all together.

Mustang disk brake pads are 1/8th the cost of Stude brake shoes. The difference pays for the Mustang parts. It still costs your time; not needing to adjust brake shoes every few hundred miles more than pays for that.
                          Last edited by bensherb; 12-10-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                            Adding rear disk brakes to a Dana 44 is super easy and cheap. It'll just cost the price of a piece of 3/8" steel plate and a couple Mustang calipers, rotors and hoses; $75 at a wrecker, (get all the bolts and lug bolts too while you're at it). It will also cost a little of your time, drilling holes in the plate and bolting it all together.

Mustang disk brake pads are 1/8th the cost of Stude brake shoes. The difference pays for the Mustang parts. It still costs your time; not needing to adjust brake shoes every few hundred miles more than pays for that.

A thread on using the 04 mustang brakes on the Dana tapered axles..

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                              A thread on using the 04 mustang brakes on the Dana tapered axles..

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ake-Conversion
                              I did pretty much the same thing but didn't use the stock Mustang housing mount. I just made my own from a 3/8" plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X