Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Studebaker Dealers

President Member
    Kliment Brothers Forest Hills Pgh. Pa. jimmijim

In a discussion with the former Studebaker Dealer here in Fayetteville, NC, I found out about two more dealerships here that preceded R & W Motors established by his father in 1939. In the 1920's and early 1930's there was [u]Rowan Studebaker</u>. Then there was [u]Bowles Motors</u> that came after Rowan Studebaker but went out of business in 1939.

I also learned of [u]Taylor Motors</u> in Lumberton, North Carolina. I spoke with Mr. Taylor a couple of years ago and learned that not only did he sell Studebakers, but also Simca. Later this became a Toyota dealership. Mr. Taylor was quite a track star at the University of North Carolina and has donated much money to the university. Mr. Taylor now runs a very successful insurance company.

There was also [u]John Emory Studebaker</u> in Durham, North Carolina.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Editor of "The Down Easterner"
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

From R.L.Polk & Co.(publishers) city directory of Washington, Pa.

1907- Washington Automobile Company, D.H.Swart Proprietor, Automobile Agents, Repairing, Storing and a Full Line of Supplies, 67-69 E. Maiden St., Bell Phone 75. (No brand mentioned)

1917- S.M.Byers, Studebaker Motor Car Agency, Studebaker Motor Cars and Trucks, 122 S. Main St., Bell Phone 190.

1926- George Washington Garage,(F. Donald Wehn), Studebaker Sales and Service, 26-38 E. Maiden St., Phone 238.

Also, McClelland Motor Co, Studebaker Mercedes dealer, also had the Hudson franchise.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Silver Hawk Member
    I found this check in a 1930 Dictator parts book.

By the way, where is Randy? I haven't seen him post for a while.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leonard,

If it were a blank check, your restoration problems would be over.

Unfortunately, it's a blank receipt.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

quote:Originally posted by lstude

I found this check in a 1930 Dictator parts book.
    I have never heard of this dealership (perhaps the Depression took them out). I will ask around to see if anyone knows of them.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Speedster Member
    Randy G.

I just want to THANK YOU for this site!!!

Steve

While going thru the junk yard in Plant City, FL, I found the following decal on a scrap '64 Challenger...

So I looked up Carr's Import Motors at the local library. I found that in 1958, Carr's was located at 807 S. Collins in Plant City. I don't know why the dealership moved one block over, but there is a recent Internation House of Pancakes there now.

In 1964, this dealer's address was 715 S. Collins (one block to the north). This building still stands as a pawn shop. It should be noted that at the time, S. Collins was a 2 lane road and not a 5 lane as it is now.

Like most import stores at the time, it appears that the service department was no more than a large garage. It's still there.

Carr's Import Motors
    715 S. Collins St.
    Plant City, FL

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Mulberry, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2125.60)

President Member
    I didn't see this in the topic (I may have missed it) - what was Frost and French's original address (when they were near Wilshire and Western)? I live a block from there and I never knew anything about them...

Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    '60 Lark HT
    '63 Wagonaire

I went to the nearby town of Tulare, California yesterday. As I was leaving town, I spied the city library and thought I'd have a look. The main reason I wanted to stop was to find out if they had a file of old newspapers on microfiche as does Visalia's library. I'd never seen mention of Studebaker dealer in Tulare, but had always assumed there must've been one.
    Well, the nice ladies in the reference section of the library were all too happy to help. In a hearbeat I had old city directories and phone books laid out in front of me. There were dealerships for every other make of car and truck listed, but none for Studebaker IN Tulare. There were Stude dealers listed that were in Visalia, Porterville and Hanford, but none in Tulare.
    I thanked the gals for their help and said that this venture had answered my question as to who had been the Stude dealer (no one)in their town. One gal said: "Hold on a minute, will ya?" She was punching numbers into the library's phone. After someone answered, she explained (to this someone) that she was trying to find an answer to a patron's questions. Then she handed the phone to me while saying: "This is my husband. He's lived here his whole life and ought to know if there was ever a Studebaker dealer in this town."
    So, I explained to the guy that I was trying to find out whether or not there'd been a Stude dealer here during the last years of Studebaker's manufacture. "Noooo..." came his thoughtful reply. "I don't recall any Studebaker dealers in Tulare after the war."
    "I see." I answered. But before I could ask about BEFORE the war, he offered: "Of course, my dad and a friend of his sold them from their place before WWII. The place was called The City Garage, I think. Anyway, they dissolved the business and both joined the service - didn't pick it back up after they got out."

I thanked him for the information and that was it. I handed the phone back to his wife and as I did so, she asked: "Well?"
    I said, "Appearantly, your father-in-law was a Studebaker dealer before world war two!"
    "Oh gosh! That's right! I'd forgotten all about that. Of course, that was some years before we got married."

Miscreant Studebaker nut in California's central valley.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

I have been researching Studebaker Dealers in my town of Fayetteville, North Carolina. I spent some time looking through city directories a our main library yesterday found some interesting stuff. I am very lucky in that the last dealership in town was at least partly owned by a member of our chapter! He has given me some names of dealerships prior to his father establishing his dealership in the late '30's! I also accidentally ran across the name of a company that was an "agent for Studebaker cars." The pamphlet in which this was found was published in 1919. I even have a copy of an advertisement for this establishment and a photo of it! No photos of the later dealers but one of the oldest, kinda cool I thought. Sometimes you just stumble upon this stuff as Mr. Biggs has found.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Yeah, as I've mentioned before, I lucked into a copy of the centennial edition of the local newspaper a few years ago. It was dated June of 1960 (this town had incorporated in 1852!). In that paper was an ad from the dealer at that time - Switzer & Jordan. The neat thing about finding that old paper and ad was the footnote to the ad. It said: "Studebaker - the one product name that has appeared in the Times-Delta for 100 years."
    I don't know when the first Studebaker auto was offered here, but I'm guessing it was almost as soon as they were built with the the Studebaker name (maybe even when badged as EMFs). I need to spend more time going thru the papers of that era.
    The earliest dealership I've read about so far is one that was operated sort of as a satellite dealership by the dealer operating out of Fresno at the time. And that particular dealer was a real promoter of the marque - organizing a "Studebaker Driver's Club" and putting on all sorts of endurance and obstacle runs to prove the Studebaker's worth. Heh - they did a Visalia to Los Angeles run in 1917 that if true, was done faster than you can do that trek today![:0]

Edit: BTW, at the same local swap meet where I found that old newspaper some years ago, I just found (last Sunday) a Studebaker Tire Carrier wrench such as was supplied with 2R (and maybe M?) trucks. It was laying on a table with a bunch of other wrenches and pliers. For a buck, I gave it a home![^]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

How about the Ansonia Garage in Ansonia CT or Eliason Motors in Hamden CT?

Chip

Champion Member
    Kerr Motor Company in Lubbock TX.
    New 1952 police cars arrive for the Lubbock Police Department.

Loy Daniel
    High Plains Chapter SDC

President Member
    Hey Loy! Good to see you post here. Hope you become a regular, and am looking forward to meeting you and the other club members at the next meeting. Give me lots of notice!

'50 Champion, 1 family owner

Did you drive one of those, Loy?[:I] Nice to see you here. Keepingt up your correspondence with Buford?[:0]

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President two door

Champion Member Hanson Motor Co.'s Avatar
    This is a photo of the Harry Stephens Studebaker/Oldsmobile/GMC Trucks dealership on the 300 block of South Walnut Street in Bloomington, Indiana. Stephens is still in business in Bloomington selling Honda automobiles. I don't remember there being a Studebaker dealership in Bloomington in my youth during the 60's. Stephens was selling only Oldsmobile at that time.
    This building housed the Honda motorcycle dealer during the 60's and early 70's. It later was used as storage for a nearby Dry Cleaners.
    The building was torn down in 2006.
    [img][/img]

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    quote:Originally posted by Hanson Motor Co.

This is a photo of the Harry Stephens Studebaker/Oldsmobile/GMC Trucks dealership on the 300 block of South Walnut Street in Bloomington, Indiana.
    Nice to see you posting here, Tim. Welcome to The Stude Forum! (You'll like the August Co-Operator coming up; photo of me & Ralph with his '50 Pace Coupe at Bean Blossom, emphasizing the Studebaker connection!) BP

Champion Member Hanson Motor Co.'s Avatar
    Thanks Bob, I look forward to my August Turning Wheels!
    Sorry I didn't get all four of these pictures I posted lined up vertical instead of horizontal. Thought all four pictures were pretty cool, notice the lazy S on the parts counter.

Speedster Member
    Check out the Studebaker sign in the Hanson Motor post(top right corner). Never seen one like that before

George o

Tim,
    You can edit your post to get the pictures appearing vertically.
    Use the edit icon in your original post. Then just put your cursor between each photo post and hit the enter key. Hit it twice if you want a white space between each picture.

I don't have any dealers to add, but my black plate Lark from SoCal came with frames that say "D and G Motors - Santa Ana"
    They don't say Studebaker or have a lazy S, so my guess is that it was a used car lot. Anybody heard of them? Google shows D and G Motors, but in Anaheim.
    Thanks!
    JohnP

Reviving an early Lark

Silver Hawk Member
    This is from the book called Floyd Clymer's Post-War Studebaker cars. Floyd Clymer wrote many automobile books and bought a 47 Studebaker new from Vernon C. Short Studebaker as he says in his book.

Leonard Shepherd

Here are two additional dealers that were brought to my attention this afternoon by the son of the former owner. They wre both located in New York, mr. Barns

1. G. W. Hinman, Madison, NY

2. Howard Motors, Williamson, NY

Some additional dealers in Fayetteville, North Carolina

Fayetteville Motor Company -- Studebaker (1917)

Hubert Ramsaur -- Briscoe & Studebaker Cars Federal Trucks (1917)

Bowels Studebaker Company -- Studebaker (1928)

North State Motor Company -- Packard and Hillman (1948)

Carr Motor Company -- Packard (1957)

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Champion Member
    Anyone remember Partex Motors on 144 E.Ridgewood Ave. Ridgewood, NJ
    The building is still there And the Service Dept. garages are still
    behind it Was a Studebaker Mercedes-Benz dealership Panico Salon is there now...(I am going by what long-time
    Ridgewood residents have told me...
    Chris

Champion Member
    anyone have any info on HM Williams Studebaker 1751 Broadway NY NY ?
    Thanks Mark

There was Ruit and Sibley in New Milford CT. Paul

50 champion 2dr sedan

Speedster Member
    Another Stude dealer in CA.- Van Nuys, CA- Allington Studebaker

Dennis Maxfield ( Boomer)
    Lancaster,CA
    1957 Silver Hawk (finless)

Randy, had a great Studebaker Dealer hunt last week and discovered five more for your list

Virginia

Poteet Motors Bristol, VA
    Koop Motors, Powatan, VA

Tennessee

Kyle Motors Bristol, TN
    Freeman Motors, Johnson City, TN
    Model City Motors, Kingsport, TN
    Amos-Robertson Motors, Kingsport, TN

Pennsylvania

Lou Block Motors, Philadelphia, PA

I'll post a 1939 Invoice from this dealer later.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Silver Hawk Member
    quote: Randy, had a great Studebaker Dealer hunt last week and discovered five more for your list

Virginia

Poteet Motors Bristol, VA
    Koop Motors, Powatan, VA
    Here is a picture of the Koop Motors building. I think the building is gone now.

Leonard Shepherd

Leonard you are amazing or maybe your collection is. i got the name from a Bristol Hearld Courier who happened to interview John Kelly and me this past week in bristol. He knew the family. I guess it's like they always say "It's a really samll world we live in."

See you in the future as I write about our past

Warren-Proctor Studebaker, Louisville, KY. Late '61?

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

President Member
    Hmmmmmmmm....I wonder if the "Vernon C. Short" became Claude Short Dodge in Santa Monica, Ca?
    How about Kovac Motors, Woodbridge, N.J.- Studebaker & Packard (former Kaiser dealer too)
    J.Arthur Applegate, Perth Amboy, N.J. - Studebaker
    Kovac Motors was run by William "Bill" Kovac & I mean run! Sales, service & parts & a real nice man too. I remember going there & seeing this black 30's Pierce-Arrow in the back. His son, Brian was a good friend of mine & he one day ran up to me all excited about the "new car Studebaker was gonna make". I took one look at the picture he showed & was knocked off my feet. I said, "Its a show car only. Nobody would have the guts to build something that radical." It was the Avanti. I will never forget that moment in the hallway of Woodbridge Jr. High on my was to my spainish class.

60 Lark convertible
    61 Champ
    62 Daytona convertible
    63 G.T. R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2)
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan

Warren, too bad you don't live on the right coast these days as you could bring a car to the largest all Studebaker Meet ever held in Lancaster this fall.

Here's an Invoice for a 1939 Studebaker from Block Motors in Philadelphia. The car still lives in a barn in Hamburg, PA and is for sale but will need total restoration. If interested let me know.

[img][/img]

quote:Originally posted by lstude
    Here is a picture of the Koop Motors building. I think the building is gone now.
    I understand that there are still some cars from that dealership in the woods off either Huguenot Springs or Three Bridges Roads.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful" and real Studebaker horsepower lives

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/GuidoSalvage

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Speedster Member
    Victoria Motor Sales
    13505 Jos. Campau Ave
    Detroit 12, Michigan

I have a brochure for 1962 with their name stamped on the cover

Don

President Member
    What a fabulous thread.

Two more from my hunt for info relevant to my Hamilton-built '62 Lark...

Adams Service Centre, 103 Doxsee Avenue, Campbellford, Ontario; this is where my Lark was sold new in May or June of '62...the street name is misspelled "Doxee" on the PO. Ironically there was an SDC roadtrip this past spring through Campbellford...but the Lark wasn't (and isn't) ready for any jaunt that lengthy yet...

And out of curiosity, went to the Hamilton library to check a '62 city directory to see who was selling Studes here at the time my car was built. An old suspicion proved correct: the main Stude vendor in Hamilton was Gulliver Motors on Cannon Street East. I knew Gullivers as a Volvo/Mercedes/Subaru dealer in the 70s and early 80s; they once handled Jaguar and even Rolls-Royce as well. Most recently (late 80s) the dealership was VW, with a different name. The building was still standing last time I went by there. Sometime I'll get a shot of my Lark alongside...

Keep all the wonderful nostalgia coming!

S.

President Member
    quote:Originally posted by Steve T

What a fabulous thread.

Two more from my hunt for info relevant to my Hamilton-built '62 Lark...

Adams Service Centre, 103 Doxsee Avenue, Campbellford, Ontario; this is where my Lark was sold new in May or June of '62...the street name is misspelled "Doxee" on the PO. Ironically there was an SDC roadtrip this past spring through Campbellford...but the Lark wasn't (and isn't) ready for any jaunt that lengthy yet...

And out of curiosity, went to the Hamilton library to check a '62 city directory to see who was selling Studes here at the time my car was built. An old suspicion proved correct: the main Stude vendor in Hamilton was Gulliver Motors on Cannon Street East. I knew Gullivers as a Volvo/Mercedes/Subaru dealer in the 70s and early 80s; they once handled Jaguar and even Rolls-Royce as well. Most recently (late 80s) the dealership was VW, with a different name. The building was still standing last time I went by there. Sometime I'll get a shot of my Lark alongside...

Keep all the wonderful nostalgia coming!

S.
    I agree what a fabulous thread![8D] Keep the names and pictures coming! Hope all is well with everyone.

Randy_G
    1959 Lark Sedan
    www.AutomotiveHistoryOnline.com