No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schroller Motor Co. Marysville, Kansas sold Packards until 1954 or 55.
    Ronnie Scheller
    Marysville, Kansas

Comment

• Alan, does the building (Covert's Garage) still stand? Big old building, that's for sure!

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1

Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

• Hi Bill,

Yes, the Covert building is still there and in use by someone selling Buick parts -- mainly 60s and 70s stuff.

Alan
        Kindest regards,

Alan Mende
        Grantville, PA

I'm not a mechanic; I don't even play one on TV.

Comment

• Here are a couple pics of Kliment Brothers Studebaker in Forest Hills, PA.

The first photo is obviously from 1938-39, when it was still called Peter Kliment Studebaker (the brothers' father, who started the business in 1902 as a Chandler dealer, pictured in the foreground). The second pic is of the building around 2000. The truck in the picture is my '49, which was formerly Kliment Brothers' shop truck. Pete Kliment bought it in 1957 for $20 from George Frank Studebaker Packard in Turtle Creek. I believe that was when George Frank was closing down. The truck had been Frank's since new, then Kliments' until 1998 when a huge tree crushed it and I got it from Pete. I still have the truck, the wooden letter sign which read "STUDEBAKER GENUINE PARTS APPROVED ACCESSORIES, and the large metal sign from the roof of the building. Each letter is about 1-1/2 feet tall and was formerly lighted by neon. It's hanging in my game room now. Pete said he had bought it from a dealer in Coraopolis, PA that closed up in the '60's.

Comment

• EDIT: I forgot to mention that the George Frank Studebaker building in Turtle Creek, PA no longer exists. There is now a 7/11 store there, which has itself been rebuilt once.

Comment

• Neat photos PsychoBob! But what is that I see in the showroom that at first look appears to be a light colored '62-'64 GT Hawk from the roofline, but the more I look at it, the body resembles a '47-'52 Convertible! Is that in the showroom, or a reflection of a car across the street and WHAT is it? [?][?]

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Ah, that was the legendary (to the area) '52 Commander business coupe. Which was never actually produced. The car was actually a '50, which was "restored" in the '60's by someone other than the Kliments. The guy who did it didn't like the bulletnose front end, so he used a '52 front clip, engine/trans, and rearend. The local "legend" stated that the car had sat in that window since it was new, and never sold. It had no miles, was never titled, blah blah. It had 85,000 miles on it, the wrong front end and drivetrain, and was put in the showroom in 1972. When the building was sold, I helped Pete get it running for the first time in 30 years. I believe he ended up selling it to one of the carpenters working on converting the building into the restaurant it is now.

There was a '62 GT Hawk, a black one, in the other bay of the building. There was also a '55 wrecker, rotted to hell, a '41 champion coupe that I bought, and a 1941 Diamond T model 969 6X6 tank retriever that I am still kicking myself for not buying. He quoted me $700, I passed because it had sat for 35 years. The guy who ended up with it put batteries in it, cleaned up the points and plugs, put new gas in it, and it fired right up.

Comment

• Seen on the side of the 'Family Ford' building across the street from Staples Center in downtown Los Angeles
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

• THESE ARE AWESOME PICTURES!!!!!Keep 'em coming!!!![]

Comment

• There is a picture of a Studebaker Dealership in New Paris, IN on eBay now.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

• Kliment Brothers Forest Hills Pgh. Pa. jimmijim
                        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

• In a discussion with the former Studebaker Dealer here in Fayetteville, NC, I found out about two more dealerships here that preceded R & W Motors established by his father in 1939. In the 1920's and early 1930's there was [u]Rowan Studebaker</u>. Then there was [u]Bowles Motors</u> that came after Rowan Studebaker but went out of business in 1939.

I also learned of [u]Taylor Motors</u> in Lumberton, North Carolina. I spoke with Mr. Taylor a couple of years ago and learned that not only did he sell Studebakers, but also Simca. Later this became a Toyota dealership. Mr. Taylor was quite a track star at the University of North Carolina and has donated much money to the university. Mr. Taylor now runs a very successful insurance company.

There was also [u]John Emory Studebaker</u> in Durham, North Carolina.

Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                          Joe Roberts
                          '61 R1 Champ
                          '65 Cruiser
                          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

• From R.L.Polk & Co.(publishers) city directory of Washington, Pa.

1907- Washington Automobile Company, D.H.Swart Proprietor, Automobile Agents, Repairing, Storing and a Full Line of Supplies, 67-69 E. Maiden St., Bell Phone 75. (No brand mentioned)

1917- S.M.Byers, Studebaker Motor Car Agency, Studebaker Motor Cars and Trucks, 122 S. Main St., Bell Phone 190.

1926- George Washington Garage,(F. Donald Wehn), Studebaker Sales and Service, 26-38 E. Maiden St., Phone 238.

Also, McClelland Motor Co, Studebaker Mercedes dealer, also had the Hudson franchise.

Brad Johnson
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                            Brad Johnson,
                            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

• I found this check in a 1930 Dictator parts book.

By the way, where is Randy? I haven't seen him post for a while.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

• Leonard,

If it were a blank check, your restoration problems would be over.

Unfortunately, it's a blank receipt.

Brad Johnson
                                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
                                Brad Johnson,
                                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                                X