No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHMYGOSH!! that's where I lived up until 1998, and that's the local dealer on Hawthorne Blvd. that I bought out the parts dept. of!!
    Also known later as G&M Studebaker.

I have not seen one of their lic. frames in 30 years. And it appears to be attached to a South Bay area of So. Calif. Lark bumper, is that in Chuck Collins' South Gate, CA Stude. yard sale?

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Here is another. Not sure where Lawndale is.

Leonard Shepherd

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Just click on "my profile" and change it!

Several people are shown living there, someone must have figured out some of our passwords & messed with us!

quote:Originally posted by bubbahawk

By the way,I am not in Uzbekistan,where ever that is,I am in Greenwood,SC
      StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

• Studebaker dealership plus others in Dewitt IA

Comment

• quote:I have not seen one of their lic. frames in 30 years. And it appears to be attached to a South Bay area of So. Calif. Lark bumper, is that in Chuck Collins' South Gate, CA Stude. yard sale?
          That license plate frame is on a Lark that is on a used car lot in Richmond, VA that I posted pictures of. I think the dealer got most of the cars from Southern California.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

• Hopefully this link will work. Nice photos of a Studebaker dealership in New Jersey on the historic registrar.

Comment

• This is cool!!! This old Studebaker dealership in Milwaukee is now an upscale residence. Man, I'd love to live there.

Hazard KY Studebaker dealership underwater during the Flood of 57

Comment

• Haven't seen it mentioned, so: The Studebaker Dealer in my hometown of Rochester, IN was Barkman Motors. The dealership went on to carry Lincoln-Mercury into the late 1970's when it was then purchased and merged with the local Ford Store.

We purchased a used Cub Cadet tractor from the Barkman family when I was in High School (1977-81). We went to their farm to pick it up, and the elder Mr. Barkman took me into his garage to see the last Studebaker he kept. It was a black 60 Lark Sedan with less than 10,000 miles on the odometer. I had recently bought my 55 at the time, so we talked for about a half hour about his dealer days. Since then, both he and his son have passed on. His son was a local elementary school principal, and his daughter in law was my third grade teacher. Mr. Barkman's only remark that I remember is that he dropped Studebaker immediately after South Bend closed. Being 40 miles from the closed plant, he felt he'd never sell anyone in Rochester a car from Canada.

Kevin Wolford
                Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                60 Lark VI Conv.
                63 Avanti R1

Comment

• Here are some more dealers with their names on items I've purchased through the years. Sorry for any duplications:

Myrick Motors, Inc.
                  1715 N. Akard St.
                  Dallas 1, TX
                  Phone ST-2104 (Stamped on 1955 brochure)

Buck Motor Co.
                  North Dixie
                  Troy, Ohio (Stamped on 1963 brochure)

Swampscott Standard Garage
                  Swampscott, Mass. (1955 Warranty form)

All the following were mentioned in the Dec. 1959 Spotlight:

Frank H Afton Co., Inc. - Inglewood California
                  Post Motor Co. - Marshall, Texas.
                  Piedmont Motor Sales - Winston-Salem, North Carolina
                  Ed Lane's Auto Sales, Inc. - Miami Springs, Fla.
                  Dixie Motor Co. - Collinsville, Virginia
                  L.W. Hooker - Hornell, NY (39 years association)
                  Murphy Motor Sales - Detroit, MI
                  Northwestern Motor Bus Co. - 123-125 West Aurora St, Ironwood, Michigan
                  Parkins Motors, Inc. - Charleston, W. Va.
                  Marks Motors - Portland, Oregon (10 years)
                  Schneider Auto Co. - McCook, Nebraska (20 yrs.)
                  McNeer Motor Co. - Portsmouth, Ohio (25 yrs.)
                  Gulf Coast Co. - Mobile, Alabama (20 yrs.)
                  Phyne Motor Co. - Brazil, Indiana (30 years)
                  A.C. Motors - Cincinatti, Ohio (20 yrs.)
                  Campbell Motors - Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Back page article dediacated to 70th year of operation for oldest continuous dealer of Highway Transportation - Atran's Garage - Arbuckle, Calif - which began representing Studebaker as a wagon dealer in 1889.

New Franchises 12/59 -

Richards Buick - M-B - Studebaker Sales - Augusta, GA
                  Bennett Motor Sales - Cincinatti, Ohio

Kevin Wolford
                  Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                  60 Lark VI Conv.
                  63 Avanti R1

Comment

• OK, I'm tapped out after this:

Swampscott Standard Garage was located at 460 Humphrey St. in Swampscott, Mass.

The ship to dealer for my Avanti:

Randy's Auto Sales
                    3165 S. Main St.
                    Salt Lake City, Utah

Stamped on a 1960 Brochure:

Frank K. Bradford
                    143 State St.
                    Newburyport, Mass.
                    Phone HO 5-3261

Kevin Wolford
                    Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
                    60 Lark VI Conv.
                    63 Avanti R1

Comment

• Studebaker-Packard dealer in Winston Salem,NC (check out the phone number)

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Lewisville,NC
                      (formerly chevpartsman)
                      1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                      Lewisville,NC

Comment

• My love for Studebaker started when I was three years old. The first car I remember was our 41 Champion 2 door and we had eight others until the company went out of business.

I was a car read Stude nut as a kid and went to any dealer I could find to see the new Studebakers. One of the largest dealers in Minnesota was Central Motors, 225 University Ave in St. Paul MN. It was advertised as covering an entire block and it did plus another block for used cars. They were in business from 1947 until mid fifties. I remember waiting in long lines to see the 53 models. The building was a Ford dealer until two years ago and other than a new facade was the same building.

Brian Millette

Our 51 Commander Starlight came from Al Mergen's Motor Co on Grand Ave in St. Paul. He was in business until the late 50's.

One of my Studebakers a 63 2 door hardtop was bought at Joy Bros. Motor Car Co which is listed as a Packard dealer but did dual up and sell Studebakers starting in 58.

Comment

• Here is another long time dealer in Minnesota.

Elmer Lueck Motor Sales in Danube Minnesota.

He was the only auto dealer in this small town. He was in business from 1936 till the end and then serviced Studebakers after that. The vast majority of vehicles in the town were Studebakers. My 57 President Classic came from this dealer.

B Millette

Comment

• Randy: You can ad the following two Washingtion State Studebaker Dealerships to your listing:

The Studebaker Center, Seattle WA (Probably the largest in Washingtion State)

Doxon & Sons Motors, Auburn WA

Dean Croft
                            Roseburg,OR

CLEM
                            Dean

CLEM

Comment

• In the late fifties many dealers in St. Paul and Minneapolis changed makes of autos or went out of business. Two of the large Minneapolis dealers went with Edsel and eventually came back with Studebaker. Here are some of the late smaller Studebaker dealers in the Twin Cities that, with one exception lasted for just a couple of years.

Rauschnot's Studebaker in St. Paul MN. 1956 until the end and he serviced and sold used Studebakers well into the 80s. I lived two miles from the dealership and often had my dad stop there for gas so I could see the cars he had in stock.

F.C Gamalgard Motors Inc. Minneapolis Studebaker from 59-61

River Lake Motors Minneapolis Studebaker from 60-62

Downtown Studebaker St. Paul MN 56-58 Another Studebaker dealer I would have my Dad drive by. They had a great showroom.

B Millette

Comment

• Here is a picture of Johnson Motors in Owatanna MN. They also sold Mercedes for years after I966.

B Millette

Comment

Working...
                                X