Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mch View Post
    I have a 63 GT Hawk that was bought new in 1962 in Red Bank, N.J., I have a photo of Lees Garage in Long Branch NJ with my 64 Avanti R2 and a previous 1973 Avanti II in front of Lees Garage with faded paint showing sales/services.
    The Studebaker 3 story building in Asbury Park N.J. just sold for $1.2M and has a large concrete sign up top of the Studebaker S
    Here's a pic of a promo... http://www.studebaker-info.org/Deale...genj1960e1.jpg Trade ya for your pic?
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
      This picture was hanging up with some others in the back of a retirement home in South Holland , IL where my parents were staying for about a month.
      It's Kickert Auto Sales when they were a Willys Knight dealer. Later they were Packard, then Studebaker, and then used cars.
      Sorry it's not very good quality. They probably got it from the historical society in town.

My Mom found this in the centennial book they had for our town in 1994.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
        You have his dealership information already, but my friend and former Studebaker-Packard-Mercedes dealer Ed Filer passed away this week at age 89 in central Ohio. He and his parents owned the Carl E. Filer Co. in my hometown of Greenville, PA and were affiliated with Studebaker for 42 years (1926-68). When they closed, they were Greenville's oldest auto dealer. Ed was a modest guy with a dry sense of humor and was a Greenville guy even after having moved a few hours away with work almost 40 years ago.

For a small-town dealer, they did well. In fact, I attribute my interest in Studebakers to seeing them around town when I was a kid. They sold a new '56 Packard Caribbean convertible, an R2 '64 full-Super-package Cruiser to their head mechanic, and also sold a new '64 Daytona convertible, 4-speed. Some nice merchandise for a small dealer.

RIP, Ed.
        Ed's family sent me some of Ed's personal Studebaker stuff, including the 1952 "A Century On Wheels" book with Ed's youthful signature in front. I love all these things.

Although the family had lived in central OH for about 40 years, their hearts remained in the Greenville area, and Ed's wishes were that his ashes be spread over Conneaut Lake, about 18 miles north of Greenville. I was invited to go out on the "Barbara J" tour boat while the family spread Ed's ashes. It was a beautiful sunny day and we were on the boat about two hours in total, touring the lake as well.

I was reminded that Ed sold two (!) '64 R2 Cruisers, about a month or so apart. Astonishingly, only nine R2 '64 Cruisers were built and my hometown's small dealer sold two of them and they were both black! One was a HD Flightomatic with blue split reclining bench seats; the other a complete "Super" car with red cloth buckets and Powershift. Both were ordered units (of course).

A little research online, and the fellow who bought the HD Flightomatic one was born in 1888 (!) and traded in a '59 Mercedes-Benz. The other one was sold to a dealership mechanic.
        Last edited by Bill Pressler; 10-18-2018, 10:31 AM.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

• Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
          Update on a previous post

Maier's Garage Studebaker Sales and Service
          105 S. Bridge St, Yorkville, IL
          Phone 100
          Est 1936-1951
          William C. Maier, proprietor

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75583[/ATTACH]
          Many Thanks/ great photo
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Not a problem! The Yorkville dealership or the Studebaker Auto Agency, came from Kendall County's historical archives. They saved the owners and the deed transfers over the years, and the Studebaker franchise came up. There's some additional information to the place in that it was an old saloon from the 1850's, before they knocked it down in the 1930's, and put up that modern big brick building, which would have a full service and sales station. The Studebaker dealership was then combined with an implement dealership in the other half of the building, and renamed the Homer G. Dickson Implement and Heating and Cooling building. The empty spot next to the building was the Nading Hotel, which was there up until a couple years ago when they widened Illinois Rt. 47 to four lanes, and had been there probably since the 1880's.
            1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

• The actual name of this dealership was Ideal Auto Sales and Service which was located on Lakeview Avenue in Rockville Center, NY They sold Studebaker vehicles from the 1930's forward, only taking on MB when Studebaker made that deal to distribute MB in the USA
              Originally posted by raprice View Post
              Here's a couple of dealerships from Long Island:

F.E.H. Motors on Main St., Hempstead, NY

Lakeview Motors on Lakeview Ave, Lynbrook, NY

Lakeview Motors took on the Mercedes line when Studebaker became the Mercedes distributor in the '50s.
              Lakeview is now a Mercedes Benz dealer on Sunrise H'way, Lynbrook, NY.

Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

Comment

• Earlier this month on facebook I helped an enquiry whose grand father was a Studebaker Dealer here in Sydney Australia back in the twenties. I identified the 5 year plaque & frame awarded to the SPIES BROS & advised the award period as the late twenties due to the images of both Studebaker & Erskine. The owner was delighted.
                I was also delighted as this was my first knowledge of one of these plaques being awarded to an Australian Dealer & also it still survives. Do any of the Forum members know if there is any data listing of early Studebaker Dealers so I can check out this Dealer or other Australian Dealers that received such plaques from the Studebaker Corporation?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                MELBOURNE.

Comment

• Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
                  ..... is any data listing of early Studebaker Dealers so I can check out this Dealer or other Australian Dealers that received such plaques from the Studebaker Corporation?
                  Thanks for your contribution / You can see other listings here..

64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Originally posted by Hawklover View Post
                    The actual name of this dealership was Ideal Auto Sales and Service which was located on Lakeview Avenue in Rockville Center, NY
                    Thanks for the correction. It was mis-labeled on one entry.. http://www.studebaker-info.org/Deale...alers.html#nyi
                    64 GT Hawk (K7)
                    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Hillsboro , Ohio Baker auto sales
                      Attached Files
                      Randy Wilkin
                      1946 M5 Streetrod
                      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

• Here is a 1953 Ad
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the info. Would you have an address or dates of ownership?
                          64 GT Hawk (K7)
                          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Millis Brothers

The Millis Brothers had a Studebaker dealership in Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Later they became a Ford dealer and then left the auto business to be in the Trucking business and you may see their trucks across the US. The trailer feature a maroon "Millis Brothers Logo.

Husband of Lark VIII girl
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lark8girl View Post
                              The Millis Brothers had a Studebaker dealership in Black River Falls, Wisconsin. Later they became a Ford dealer and then left the auto business to be in the Trucking business and you may see their trucks across the US. The trailer feature a maroon "Millis Brothers Logo.

Husband of Lark VIII girl
                              Thx again, I had some stuff and noticed their website changed, regarding my history link. Had to chase down the old one on Webarchive...
                              64 GT Hawk (K7)
                              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

• Has anyone tried to organize any of this data? Maybe develop a spread sheet by either location, name or both. Maybe I missed it, but if it has been done it would be nice to see.

Comment

Working...
                                X