No announcement yet.

Studebaker Dealers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jake Rose Laporte Indiana. My family got several from there.

Comment

McClellend Motors-Studebaker, Mercedes Benz
      Owned by Deik McClelland
      80 E. Wylie Ave.
      Washington, Pa

Randy,
      If you want to read through this earlier thread you'll find some more.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      33 Rockne 10
      51 Commander Starlight
      53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Amarillo, Texas:
        Bob Crudginton Motors
        and later on, Economy Motors

steve blake
        steve blake...roaming the Texas Panhandle in my trusty Champ pickup
        http://tinyurl.com/kr3gt

Comment

Here in central California:

Switzer & Jordan which eventually bacame Switzer motors 1937 to 1965

Porterville sales and service.- Porterville CA

Reedly Studebaker - Reedly CA

Slavich Bros Studebaker - Fresno CA

Ricker Motors - Whittier CA (Was primarily an AMC dealer for many, many years and picked up Studebaker when the Lark debuted. Even was an outlet for Avanti IIs for years afterwards.

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have gotten alot of e-mails and have searched old posts ( thanks to Brad) I think I have got all of the dealers up that I have recieved in the last week, Check it out and let me know if anything comes to mind. All photos are credited as promised. Click and see.

This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Randy_G
            This website is for sale! automotivehistoryonline.com is your first and best source for information about automotivehistoryonline. Here you will also find topics relating to issues of general interest. We hope you find what you are looking for!

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Randy_G

I have gotten alot of e-mails and have searched old posts ( thanks to Brad) I think I have got all of the dealers up that I have recieved in the last week, Check it out and let me know if anything comes to mind. All photos are credited as promised. Click and see.

Randy_G
              American Service Center, listed as Washington, DC, is actually in Arlington, VA. A DC dealer was McNey Motors. In Greencastle, PA there was Fox Studebaker (now Fox Buick, Chevrolet, Volvo).
              Somewhere I have a packet that I picked up at the Zone Depot in Burlingame, CA in 1967 listing all dealers in the western US. I'll try to find it and see if I can scan it to email.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/64%20Daytona%20Convertible/Copy%20of%20DaytonaConvert7-20-06.JPG[/img=right]

Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

FWIW (I'm sure you know this, Paul) ASC is still in business as a Mercedes-Benz dealership, and apparently is one of the largest in the area.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

quote:Originally posted by ROADRACELARK

I'm sure there is a very knowledgable person associated with the Studebaker archives that might very well be able to locate the "Dealership Directory". As stated before, there were always changes being made with names, locations, etc. but the directories had to be up-dated periodically ...there's bound to be one, or more, there somewhere. I know, this would take all the fun out of members posting dealerships they remember. but this might keep some of us from having an memory "melt-down"[:0] Just a thought.
                  Dan Miller

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
                  Road Racers turn left AND right.
                  I agree with Dan. I enjoy reading these posts, and will add what I can. But surely there was a master list used by Studebaker (even if it did have to be updated often), and perhaps it still exists somewhere in the archives? Sure would make things a lot simpler.

Comment

The Electric Garage - Woodland CA (est. 1909)

Killough Motors - Pittsburgh CA (near Sacramento - as was the
                    Electric Garage - which might still be in business)

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle!!

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OK, in the Western PA area, a few dealers I can recall were:

Eaton Motors, Allegheny Avenue, Oakmont
                      Langer Brothers, Route 19, West View (Pittsburgh)
                      Catanese Brothers, Russellton, PA
                      Zellsmann Motor Company, 128 South Bluff St., Butler, PA
                      A.R. Boarts, Butler and Kittanning, PA
                      Mervis Motors, Oakland (Pittsburgh)

And in Central Pennsylvania:

Meachum Motor Company, Lewisburg
                      Hassinger Brothers, Milton, PA
                      Zimmerman's, Sunbury, PA

Comment

See..........."Dealership List".......... elsewhere on this site....Brad

Comment

In Edmonton, Mills Motors on the corner of Jasper Avenue & 109 Str until 1964. (Also sold Rootes Group cars and light commercial vehicles). The head mechanic, Albert DeBleik, bought up all the parts and then set up shop on his own on 112 Street and 103 Ave until 1980 when he retired. Ray-Val Motors, 8504-109 Street (at that location until 1973), handled Studebaker up until 1966, and then carried Renault until mid-1979 when the stronger AMC dealer a couple of blocks away carried both AMC and Renault. In Calgary, Harry Forrester was the Studebaker and Mercedes-Benz dealer until 'the end'. He still sold Mercedes-Benz for a few years after Studebaker stopped making new cars to sell. Later they took on the Datsun franchise. Today, Marlborough Nissan is the successor to Harry Forrester Motors. In Clive, Alberta, Clive Sales & Service sold Studebakers from 1946 until 1966 and still continued to provide parts and service until 1986 when Laurence Williams, the proprietier passed away. Up until that time, the old 'Studebaker' dealer sign still hung on the front of his building. In Lethbridge, Mechanics Sales & Service (now Lethbridge Nissan) was the Stude dealer. Two of my Studebakers were sold new there. In Olds, Alberta, I believe the Stude dealer's name was Latimer & Yule Ltd.

Craig

Comment

I saw Frank Drumheller today at out chapter meet. For those that are not aware, Frank and I comprise the Studebaker fire service in Central Virginia. Frank has a 1948 M-16 that came from Bloomington, WI and I have a 1946 M-16 from Earlville, IA and a 1949 2R17A from Litchfield, CT.

Following the Omaha meet Frank headed out to Bloomington to meet the folks at the fire department. In looking at the map he noticed that he would pass within 25 miles of Earlville, so he made a detour. To make a long story short he found the fire house and when no one was there he stopped at a bar just down the street. It was noon on Saturday and they were open with one customer. Turns out the customer knew a couple of folks in the department and they came down.

They in turn called a fellow that had worked at the Studebaker dealership as a mechanic when my truck was delivered new. The department kept it until 1956 when it was sold to a local auctioneer for $1500 after they bought a '51 Ford. The auctioneer kept it until the early '70's when it went to West Virginia and then to me.

To get back on track the dealer's name in Earlville was Parkin Motor Company. The were also the Chrysler-Plymouth dealer and Frank gave me a picture of the building. Nice to get a little history on a vehicle that you own. As an added surprise, the former mechanic sent me an old dealer nametag that he had.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Davis Studebaker
                              606 N Main St
                              Rochester, MI

Just a small thing to point out on the dealer listings. On the website, it doesn't tell you what type of dealership it was. All those dealerships didn't sell Packards and not all sold Studebakers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                              Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                              LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I thought about that, I will go back and make a notation which is Packard and which one is Studebaker.
                                thanks for visiting the site and posting another dealer for me to add. Keep them coming!

Randy_G

Comment

Working...
                                X