Wiring and turn signal cam in steering column 54 Commander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Wiring and turn signal cam in steering column 54 Commander

My wiring is scuffed and bare where is passes out of the steering column tube. I can not find information in my 54/54 service manual nor do I find a exploded view in my parts catalog 53/58. I found a turn signal switch with the wiring, Stude parts #1549450. Is that the correct one ? Where can I find information on how to take apart and reassemble? TY
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

The directional signal wiring diagram is on page 4 of the Electrical section of the '53 Shop Manual. Your exploded view is in the Chassis Parts catalog page 121.
    I don't know if this will be of any help or not. Click image for larger version

Name:	Turnsignal harness.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1715792
    Last edited by rockne10; 07-31-2017, 03:58 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Brad, thank you! I don't have a Chassis Manual. I have the Body Parts Catalog. That's why I was like where the heck is this. Your diagram is a huge help ! I do have the electrical diagram spotted in my shop manual. I need to get the chassis manual so I can get this Commander back together. All of the wire harnesses are missing in this Commander.

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      The directional signal wiring diagram is on page 4 of the Electrical section of the '53 Shop Manual. Your exploded view is in the Chassis Parts catalog page 121.
      I don't know if this will be of any help or not. [ATTACH=CONFIG]65992[/ATTACH]
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

I am in the process of rewiring my '53 Commander with harnesses from Lark Works. They include a wire run chart and schematics with every wire numbered according to the factory circuit numbers plus all wires are original colors. The harnesses are works of art for sure and the prices are excellent. You can order every single wire for the car or just what you need. The best part is help is only a phone call away. I called just the other day and Donald was able to explain what I needed right away. It sure makes for an easy installation. The wait time is also very good considering they make to order. The main dash and body harnesses took about a month but the individual harnesses I received in less then a week. Oh and also all harnesses are identified with original part numbers.

Comment

I just got a quote from Dawn at Lark Works today. I plan on ordering from them. My hardest project on this car will be the wiring as it was all removed by
          the body shop and then lost. I hope someone will have the connector blocks too as I imagine it is similar to my 52 in assembly.

Originally posted by 53commander View Post
          I am in the process of rewiring my '53 Commander with harnesses from Lark Works. They include a wire run chart and schematics with every wire numbered according to the factory circuit numbers plus all wires are original colors. The harnesses are works of art for sure and the prices are excellent. You can order every single wire for the car or just what you need. The best part is help is only a phone call away. I called just the other day and Donald was able to explain what I needed right away. It sure makes for an easy installation. The wait time is also very good considering they make to order. The main dash and body harnesses took about a month but the individual harnesses I received in less then a week. Oh and also all harnesses are identified with original part numbers.

Comment

Working...
          X