No announcement yet.

Brand X front seat for a '57 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand X front seat for a '57 Commander?

I am thinking about putting a split bench seat up front in my four door Commander, maybe power? The lady I'm seeing is much shorter then I am and with the stock seat, if she drives I'll be sitting in the back!
    I intend to keep the stock floor mounted heater. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Charles Eck
    Essex, MD

'57 Commander 4 door sedan, 'Bluebird'
    '66 Ford F-250
    '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Well, wish I had some tips, but, I don't. [V]

My Mom is 4'11" and when she drove the Daytona, my grandad had bucket seats from a little Chrysler or something from the junkyard with 2x4 blocks under the mounting brackets. But that doesn't help you any.

Maybe someone will chime in with some ideas.

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

C'mon guys! Isn't there anyone here whose replaced a front seat in a fifties sedan? This is my first project like this, I want advice from people who have been there!
      Please?

Charles Eck
      Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
      '53 John Deere 50

Studebakers were made to drive! (Besides, they don't get lost as easy in the Wal-Mart parking lot!)

Comment

Hi Charles
        I have seen a '56 Commander sedan advertised on-line that had seats from an late '80's Chrysler Fifth Avenue. They were the diamond tuffed leather split seats that were common in those cars They seemed to fit the car well including the rear seats. They usually had power adjustment for at least the drivers seat. I recall, were quite comfortable for longer trips, though the leather they used was very thin hide that tore easily on the driver's seat after much use. Actually the cloth they used in some cars seemed to be more durable.
        Hopefully, you will be able to find an inexpensive but good set at a local salvage yard. Those Chryslers used to be common in yards up here in Western New York but are thinning out fast now.
        Steve

Comment

The car is coming due for a new interior anyway, I plan to have a local shop redo the seats to match each other anyway. Still, if I find something that will hold up for a little while so I can knock out some of the other work, that would be good!
          Anything I should watch for with that floor mounted heater?

Charles Eck
          Essex, MD

'66 Ford F-250
          '53 John Deere 50

Comment

Working...
          X