Comissioning new Navy aircraft carrier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comissioning new Navy aircraft carrier

Today I watched the complete ceremony for putting the new aircraft carrier (USS Gerald Ford, 78) into service and really enjoyed the proceeding. It appears the Navy still has a fondness for lots of ceremony and historical procedure.
    I guess it is a little more enjoyable when one isn't wearing starched whites and standing at attention in the heat for the speeches. My TV, A/C and easy chair added to the enjoyment.
    Still it was a viewing that prompted me to go back down to the enlistment office and sign up for another twenty years. Sadly, the recruiter's building has been torn down sometime since 1956 and I need wait till Monday.

In 1966 we were puttering around off the coast of Rhodesia when the British Navy carrier (HMS Ark Royal) appeared over the horizon. That thing looked huge! By today's carrier norm it would be a rowboat size.
    We were kind of expecting them as we had been low level buzzed by a pair of jets a little earlier. I could hardly believe how large that ship looked. Perhaps it had to do with there being nothing else in sight.

(They were checking the integrity of their Rhodesia blockade.) The carrier blinker signaled: "Are you the missile tracker Valdez?"
    Our resident wiseazz blinked back: "Yes, are you the carrier?"
    Their answer "Yes."

(For today's fact checkers: "missile tracker" was our ship's cover ID)
    This should be almost safe after fifty years -- or I could do 20 in a federal pen.
    The Valdez is long gone and cut up for scrap metal.
    Last edited by Lark Parker; 07-22-2017, 01:53 PM. Reason: name correction
    sigpic
    Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Dale-
    I hate to nitpick a great story, but the British carrier's name was Ark Royal, not the reverse.

US aircraft carriers are now expected to remain in service for 50 years, so the USS Gerald R. Ford should still be protecting the country when nearly all of us are gone.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

And only 2 billion over budget
      American iron, real old school
      With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
      With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
      With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
      The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
      I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
        Dale-
        I hate to nitpick a great story, but the British carrier's name was Ark Royal, not the reverse.

US aircraft carriers are now expected to remain in service for 50 years, so the USS Gerald R. Ford should still be protecting the country when nearly all of us are gone.
        Dang, I had the name correct and for some dyslexic reason -- changed it.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Dale-

Skip Lackie I also hate to nitpick but the correct name should be HMS Ark Royal.

John S.

Comment

Originally posted by greyben View Post
            And only 2 billion over budget
            My sources, which I will not name, indicate the cost overrun was $46.27 for the last six months.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Packard53 View Post
              Skip Lackie I also hate to nitpick but the correct name should be HMS Ark Royal.John S.
              Speaking of "picking"...today, in triple digit temperatures, I picked some tomatoes, okra, and corn.

No "nits." In fact I just Googled nit. YUCK!!!! You "Nitpickers" can keep 'em.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Yes Dale, despite the decades' gone by, you may have violated national security. Just go stand outside, and the feds should be along in a few minutes. LOL

Comment

Working...
                X