Spotting Flood-Damaged Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotting Flood-Damaged Cars

Here's a link to a Hemmings piece on spotting salvaged cars. I'm starting to see some listings for collector cars coming up for auction that have been flood-damaged. Of even more concern are those cars that are misrepresented, their past somehow laundered or VIN numbers switched.

Wonder if some of our dreamers will see "potential" in that derelict hulk of a beached Pontiac wagon illustrated there? I can just see the eBay description. "Always a California car." "Usual Pontiac exterior rust."

Last edited by riversidevw; 07-18-2017, 07:24 AM.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Even though it is a five year old article, it is still good information and advice.
    I have run across flooded cars in the used car business, but never bought any.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Anyone see the episode of Fantom Car the other nite? 63 Hawk was a disguised rust bucket that current owner bought as "restored." He spent another $42,000 on it to get it repaired.
      Last edited by tim333; 08-06-2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I always scour older classic cars for rust when looking to buy one. got a cheapo bore scope that served me well over the years for getting inside fenders, firewall, trunk, frame rails, etc. They got scopes now that plug into your phone so you can look into places you could never get your head. Flood car damage is really much more of a big deal with newer cars and all their electronics and computer modules.

Comment

I bought a 68 Olds Toronado in the early 80's that had been under water. It had been professionally cleaned and all fluids changed, and it was a great car, but it would have needed an entire new wire harness. It had electrical problems, and as I chased them down I found that every connecter and plug had corrosion in it. It was great fun to drive ( 455 Olds) but only got 6 to 8 MPG. I sold it as a parts car.
          Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Working...
          X