1963 Seat Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Seat Rebuild

I am getting ready to rebuild my 1963 seats. Does anybody know if there is a foam set and where you can get one?

I've never heard of foam sets available for anything but late model formed foam..... Your upholstery shop will fill things in....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
      I've never heard of foam sets available for anything but late model formed foam..... Your upholstery shop will fill things in....
      Hey Boyd!...Welcome to the forum! Don't know much about '63 seats (never had a Studebaker that new) but Jack is right, a good upholstery shop should take care of making it comfortable. In fact, rather than the original seat, filled with padding from a "low bid" supplier, you have an opportunity to make it better. What '63 do you have? When you get an opportunity, post some pictures. Happy you found us.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

If you have enough of the old foam left to make a pattern, you can cut your own out. Check out upholstery supply places, and make sure that you get high density foam, especially for the seat cushion. It can be cut into shape with an electric knife. That said, I think I agree with others, who recommend an upholstery shop, unless you're on a really tight budget.
        Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

An old upholstery trick is to hog ring an old carpet on top of the springs, then put the foam over that. The carpet will stiffen the springs by tying them together and reinforcing them.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
          X