Oil & Lubricants for Classic Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Oil & Lubricants for Classic Cars

This post is strictly to help those preserve their automobiles. Please note there is no monetary gain for myself.
    In my short time experience with the Studebaker Forum I have observed several questions posted about the availability of oil for Classic or Antique cars. Especially SAE 30wt engine oil with zinc. This company has been my go-to for the past 25 years. Their 30wt oil only came in 5 gallon pails, I recently discovered that it comes in quart sizes which, of course, is definitely more user friendly. Here is a contact for a dealer of SCHAEFFER'S OIL MFG. in SW Missouri:
    Harald's Small Engine Inc.
    Richard & Debbie Harald, 417 743 2491, fax 417 743 2314,
    5214 Jasmine Rd. Billings Mo 65610.
    To contact Schaeffer's directly call 1 800 325 9962
    Schaeffer Specialized Lubricant Company,
    102 Barton Street, St. Louis Missouri 63104
    www.schaefferoil.com.
    Happy Motoring!

I will say that Schaeffer Oil is one of the most comprehensive lines of oil and lubricants, well known in many markets except retail to the average car owner.
    I knew about them because many teams that race asphalt oval super late models use Schaeffer Racing Oils.
    I do have a local distributor which is handy.

Comment

Do you run Schaeffer's Oil products in your Studebaker's? Were you aware of the 30wt that now comes in quarts?

Comment

Ron, revisions or deletions of your posts here can be done using the "Edit Post" function.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Ok, some of us aren't as 'Tech Savvy' as others.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
            Do you run Schaeffer's Oil products in your Studebaker's? Were you aware of the 30wt that now comes in quarts?
            Yes, I use Schaeffers Oil in my Studebakers. I prefer the 9000 series full synthetic. I use 5W-40 and I like to buy the gallon size.
            Used in 259 V-8 engines.

Comment

I know, I'm sure there are reams of posts on this topic via search engine, but one simple question as I've never heard of this company before, and appears very specialized; what would be the practical difference between using 9000 series synthetic (I only use synthetic oils for all my cars now), and using Mobil-1 synthetic and adding the appropriate amount of ZDDP with each oil change? (that said, I may do a search and see who distributes the Schaeffer's oil in Mpls/St.Paul. If local, no worse than driving to WalMart for Mobil-1 ;-)
              thanks!
              Barry

Comment

Well; I see there is a Schaeffer rep 6 miles away from me in Woodbury, MN. :-)

Comment

If you want Mobil 1 with more ZDDP the 15W-50 has more. I don't think it's necessary to dose modern API oils with extra ZDDP. I just run a heavy duty engine oil. 10W-30 for most things and 15W-40 in tired things.
                  Joshie

Comment

I prefer to use Schaeffer's Lubricants for many reasons. Just to name a few: (oops, I did get pretty lengthy after all)
                    They are all American from ground to bottle. Everything done in the good ole U S of A
                    They use the very best base stocks and additives.
                    Two things that I know no one else has: Micron Moly and Penetro.
                    Certain oils of Schaeffer's have extra zinc which is absolutely necessary for older engines.
                    Spending some time with a Schaeffer rep will prove to be time well spent. They should have a list of common oils and where they rank. Yes, Mobil will be on the list but you may be surprised where they rank. Schaeffer's does not do regular advertising just simple word of mouth or heavy industry.
                    Plus they've been in business since 1839. Please let me know what you think. Best regards, Ron McGuire

Comment

Probably the Studebaker Conestoga Wagons heading west on the Oregon Trail used Schaeffer's "Black Beauty" axle grease!

Comment

Do your Studebaker's seem to perform well on the 5W-40?

Comment

Studebaker only used the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron McGuire View Post
                            Do your Studebaker's seem to perform well on the 5W-40?
                            Yes, in that there is no oil consumption, no smoke, and reasonable oil pressure in a 90,000 original mile partial flow 259" V-8.
                            1961 Lark hard top.

Comment

That's awesome! I wouldn't have thought that 5w-40 would have been thick enough. Good to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X