259 v8 pushrod out and won't go back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 259 v8 pushrod out and won't go back

As I was installing new valve seals, my magnet caught a pushrod and pulled it out. When I went to push it back in, it wouldn't go- sticking out a couple of inches above all the others. Drop oil pan? Move the cranakshaft? I know it sits in a cup inside the engine. Any info/ advice will be greatly appreciated.

Slide the rocker arm sideways so you've got a straight drop down to the bottom of the lifter.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Thanks, Jack
      The rocker arm is off as I had to compress the springs.

Comment

Thanks, Jack
        The rocker arm is off as I had to compress the springs.

Comment

And in the words of SNL late great favorite Gilda Radner: " Never mind..."
          enough oil and some twisting and turning got it back in. Noticed it had a couple of wear marks on the bottom that were opposed to each other at 180 degrees. Just tried putting those marks at different angles

Now if I could just find that last keeper...

Comment

Chevrolet keepers are the same. If you can't find it, any machine shop will have a bucket full of them. Of anyone here will have spares that we could send in an envelope.
            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by cwsimpson View Post
              And in the words of SNL late great favorite Gilda Radner: " Never mind..."
              enough oil and some twisting and turning got it back in. Noticed it had a couple of wear marks on the bottom that were opposed to each other at 180 degrees. Just tried putting those marks at different angles

Now if I could just find that last keeper...
              Is it possible that it is in the lifter your pushrod would go into correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
                Is it possible that it is in the lifter your pushrod would go into correctly?
                Excellent point. Are the keepers ferrous, so that a magnet will pick them up?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  Excellent point. Are the keepers ferrous, so that a magnet will pick them up?
                  Yes. A magnet will pick them up.

Comment

Careful here, a magnet will also pull out the lifter.hold lifter down with stiff wire and fish. Luck Doofus

Comment

Working...
                    X