Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What has happened to the once great automobiles?

My dad had a row of early 60's ID at first, up to -65 that is, & they all had alu trunk lid.
    I remember when he "suddenly" had a -65 & it had steel.
    This might also have been for the Swedish market, we were the biggest market for the Traction outside France, so when the DS came they gave us loads of them & as I understand it was also becuse of us (?) that you from about -63 could buy a DS with manual gearbox, I've met French people who told me that the DS NEVER had that, so it might also have been wedish-special?
    My wife's first Citroen was a -69 Pallas with fiberglass roof & manual gearbox.
    A few years ago I spotted a -67 (!!!) Pallas in a barn but someone else beat me to it & it also had both this things...
    (I also shortened a DS to Rallye Coupe' once, lives in Paris now.)

Beginning in 1963, the DS could be ordered with a manual gearbox in France and all other countries. This version is known as the DW model. Of couse, it became almost instantly the car of choice for many rallymen and women. I don't know to what percentage they sold but the semi-automatic gearbox was favored by most French customers. A friend owns one of these and I drove it many times. The manual gearbox is a great advantage when you drive in the mountains. Moreover, the 1963 version had (at last!) a synchronised 1st gear which could be very useful in the snow.

In my opinion there aint a better car in snow, dad never even used snowtires, just let out a wee bit air of the Michelin X...
    (& so did we)