Is Your Car For Sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Your Car For Sale?

This may be similar, but from a different standpoint, to the topic/thread on junk it before taking X dollars.

Quite often, I am approached by people who ask about buying my 2001 Acura 3.2 CL coupe with 68K miles. Many on here know my Acura, how it is cared for and the condition it is in. I usually said that it is not for sale. This does not satisfy most of them. I have taken to say that it would take a lot of money to buy it. They then pressure me for a price. I get the idea that they think that they can buy it for $5000. Dealers are advertising similar cars, except with higher mileage, for $10k to $12K. I say that I would sell mine for $15K. This sets them back. I follow up by saying that this is less than one half of what it cost new. I also get comments about the recent paint job - it is original and about how long since I replaced the headlight lenses - they are also original and clear.

I'll ask for comments. Do you think that I am handling this okay? Any other approaches to suggest? This happens often enough to be annoying.

EDIT: In reading what I wrote, I thought that perhaps I should throw it back to them by asking what they would pay. I know that I do not like this on items that ARE for sale, so that is probably why I do not do it.

I never get asked about selling my original owner 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition with 49K miles.
    Last edited by studegary; 06-23-2017, 07:14 PM.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Be careful with that tactic, Gary. I once asked what it would take to buy my '53 Starliner, so I tossed out my "it isn't for sale" price. He mailed a check the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      Be careful with that tactic, Gary. I once asked what it would take to buy my '53 Starliner, so I tossed out my "it isn't for sale" price. He mailed a check the next day.
      Thanks, Matthew. I realize that the price is one that if someone really wanted the car, they would probably pay it. That is okay. I can always get another car.

This reminds me of a Subaru with just about 100K miles on it that I did want to sell. I drove it to an SDC meet and put a "For Sale" sign on it with a description and a price of $1100. Many SDC people said that there was no way anyone would pay that much for that car. I sold it about a week later to someone in my neighborhood for $1000.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Matt,

The same thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago. Only it was a '67 GTO, where he stated a figure that was almost double the going rate for a 66-67 GTO in the mid-eighties. It was a guy riding a motorcycle who asked while next to him at a stoplight. Although he gave him his contact info, he didn't expect any response, but three days later, he showed up with a bank draft for the exact figure he quoted. And no, he did not have any 'seller's remorse' afterwards as he knew it would be subsequently well cared for at the price he sold it for.

Craig

Comment

I tell folks that of course its for sale, all you have to do is offer the right price. When they ask what the number is, I tell them to make THEIR best offer. Twice someone threw out a number that startled me and they then became the new owner. Often times it's some low ball number and I'll let them know that at that price I keep the drive train and interior.
          Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Matt,

The same thing happened to a friend of mine several years ago. Only it was a '67 GTO, where he stated a figure that was almost double the going rate for a 66-67 GTO in the mid-eighties. It was a guy riding a motorcycle who asked while next to him at a stoplight. Although he gave him his contact info, he didn't expect any response, but three days later, he showed up with a bank draft for the exact figure he quoted. And no, he did not have any 'seller's remorse' afterwards as he knew it would be subsequently well cared for at the price he sold it for.

Craig
            I don't have any remorse from selling the '53, that was a very similar scenario. It needed more than I could give it, and the buyer had the resources to do it right. It went for enough to pay for my 4Runner, so no regrets.

Comment

A friend of mine owned an airplane at our local airport. One day after a flight, he was approached by another pilot who said he loved his plane and asked him how much he'd take for it. My friend really didn't want to sell it so he told him an outrageous price to ward him off. The inquirer wrote him a check on the spot!

Is this a case of, "Be careful, you may get what you ask for!?"

Last edited by 56GH; 06-24-2017, 06:32 AM. Reason: Misspelling
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Now for the reverse: How many have made a low ball offer and the guy snaps it up? I did once; that is all it took. After I got the car home, well let's just say any car would have been a better car than the one I bought.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  Thanks, Matthew. I realize that the price is one that if someone really wanted the car, they would probably pay it. That is okay. I can always get another car.

This reminds me of a Subaru with just about 100K miles on it that I did want to sell. I drove it to an SDC meet and put a "For Sale" sign on it with a description and a price of $1100. Many SDC people said that there was no way anyone would pay that much for that car. I sold it about a week later to someone in my neighborhood for $1000.
                  I should have stated that the Subaru in question was seven years old.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I never get asked about selling my original owner 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition with 49K miles.
                    Really?? Nobody is going to ask Gary how much he wants for his 2001 PT Cruiser?? Okay, fine, I will ask..... Gary, how much do you want for your 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      Really?? Nobody is going to ask Gary how much he wants for his 2001 PT Cruiser?? Okay, fine, I will ask..... Gary, how much do you want for your 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser?
                      You will have to negotiate that with Cathy, my wife. She wanted one before they came out. I ordered ours on the first day that dealers could place orders. It took awhile, but we got the first one delivered here (June 13, 2000). The hardest decision was the color - we got the top of the line model and added options. We settled on Deep Cranberry Metallic (different colors look good on different cars). I have added some glitz to the grille and bumper.

I am going to take her out to dinner in it today for our 54th anniversary.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It took awhile, but we got the first one delivered here (June 13, 2000).
                        Are you able to determine just how close yours is to the first (production unit) off the line?

Craig

Comment

We bought a 2001 PT when it was nearly new. It was sort of Barny color purple? The Mrs. loved it. It was nice to drive and easy to get in and out of but used a lot of fuel, I thought. We ran it up to about 140,000 and had some major repairs so traded it in on a Honda she liked....then didn't like (an Insight)

After a few months we traded the Insight in on a new Honda Fit. Easy to get in and out of but unstable on the highway with tall sides, short wheelbase and poor alignment specs. so it blew around like a leaf in the wind.

So we traded that in on a Mazda5 mini van. She loves it. I like it too but it only gets about 27 highway but handles like a car and beautiful in a wind. its the smallest minivan on the market.

Oh yeah, red. She likes candy apple red. The Mazda is red. (so were both Hondas).

Wasted a few thousand on all those trades but its her money and her car and I wanted her happy.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

My wife wishes we still had our red 2003 PT, bought new. We have a red 2012 Dodge Caravan to haul all the grandkids but probably should have traded the 97 Oldsmobile and kept the PT.

Bob Miles
                            Tucson AZ

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              Are you able to determine just how close yours is to the first (production unit) off the line?

Craig
                              I suppose that could be determined, but I know that it would not be near the first built. The first ones built all went to rental companies, possibly only in Florida. This was a test bed application for the cars. That was before dealers could order them for retail delivery. Even though our order went in on the first day that dealer sold orders could go in, it took months to get our car. I think that some number of stock car were built before special ordered cars. I believe that all of the early cars, except perhaps some show cars, were all plain models and not the Limited Edition models that came with leather seats, 16 inch chrome wheels, handling package, side air bags, etc. Ours also has four wheel disc brakes with ABS.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X