Thread: New wider wheels

New wider wheels

I read in Turning Wheels about 6 months ago that a company may be manufacturing/selling a new wider steel wheel to better fit today's radial tires. Does anyone have an update?

President Member
    A little junk yard searching will also turn up wider wheels.
    many companies will also put wider rims on the customers centers with backspacing as desired.

Mike

Summitt Racing has them. If you do a search here, the part number has even provided. With the 6" wheels, be sure to get them with 3.75" backspacing, and not 4", which is more common.

It looks like the Stude wheel centers are 12-3/4". Does anyone know of a 15x6 steel wheel with a rim ID of 12-3/4"?

Speedster Member
    I have wheel vintiques on my lark but stude dog dish caps don't fit . So I found some similar looking chevy caps and my bud at the sign shop made some S emblems for the center of the cap. A purist will spot it right away but it looks period correct

I got the wheels for my Cruiser from Speedway. $49 each and free shipping. They work great.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I have wheel vintiques on my lark but stude dog dish caps don't fit . So I found some similar looking chevy caps and my bud at the sign shop made some S emblems for the center of the cap. A purist will spot it right away but it looks period correct
    photo please! thanks, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Thanks JoeHall. I haven't fou d the part number or the wheels on the Summit Racing website. ???

Quote Originally Posted by dansct444 View Post
    Thanks JoeHall. I haven't fou d the part number or the wheels on the Summit Racing website. ???
    They are same as Kelsey Hays 82552, and NWRA 40273, which fits 1979-92 full size FoMoCo. Pretty sure this is the Summitt part number I used, which is same as the KH and NWRA: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...2334/overview/
    Last edited by JoeHall; 06-17-2017 at 05:26 PM.

They seem to be around $95 to $115. Where/when did JRoberts find them for $49?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    They are $83.97 at Summitt. I bought brand new KH 82552s for about $50 each, out the door of a wheel specialty shop in Louisville. But that was around 2002. LOL

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    They are $83.97 at Summitt. I bought brand new KH 82552s for about $50 each, out the door of a wheel specialty shop in Louisville. But that was around 2002. LOL
    Cool beans, Joe. Does that 3.75" backspace work OK on your Hawks; no clearance issues up front with either the tie rod ends or upper, outer trunnions? (I would think it would be OK; it's only .25" more than Studebaker's backspace.)

Also, with the full 6" width, you have no clearance problems with the inside edge of the rear fenders? Also, I'm sure our Studebaker dog-dish hub caps will not work, per other posts here. Right?

I ask to confirm these things, since we get many inquiries about this in / for The Co-Operator. Thanks. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by BobPalma View Post
    Cool beans, Joe. Does that 3.75" backspace work OK on your Hawks; no clearance issues up front with either the tie rod ends or upper, outer trunnions? (I would think it would be OK; it's only .25" more than Studebaker's backspace.)

Also, with the full 6" width, you have no clearance problems with the inside edge of the rear fenders? Also, I'm sure our Studebaker dog-dish hub caps will not work, per other posts here. Right?

I ask to confirm these things, since we get many inquiries about this in / for The Co-Operator. Thanks. BP

Hi Bob,
    I always use 205/75 tires, and have never had a clearance problem with the 3.75" backspace wheels, but have had problems with 4". The 4", of course, move the tire 1/4" inboard, and sometimes will scrape against the rounded corner on the front anti-sway bar, during max steer. They also sometimes cause the tire to kiss the rubber, fender apron in the front wheel well, on the drivers side. They also will not clear the huge 12" brake rotors, on the two Hawks with those brakes; must use 1/4" spacers, but I dislike doing that.

With the 3.75" backspaced wheels, all the above clearance problems are avoided. The full disc Stude hub caps also fit perfectly, but will still, "walk" so that must be dealt with. I use steel valve stems to address that.

No problems whatsoever on the rears with the 3.75. But then, there are no problems on the rear with the 4" either.

If these wheels are available with SMOOTH centers, hubcap clips could easily be added to use the dog dish caps. I use the old VW clips readily available.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Brownsburg, IN, USA.(NW suburban Indianapolis)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Hi Bob,
    I always use 205/75 tires, and have never had a clearance problem with the 3.75" backspace wheels, but have had problems with 4". The 4", of course, move the tire 1/4" inboard, and sometimes will scrape against the rounded corner on the front anti-sway bar, during max steer. They also sometimes cause the tire to kiss the rubber, fender apron in the front wheel well, on the drivers side. They also will not clear the huge 12" brake rotors, on the two Hawks with those brakes; must use 1/4" spacers, but I dislike doing that.

With the 3.75" backspaced wheels, all the above clearance problems are avoided. The full disc Stude hub caps also fit perfectly, but will still, "walk" so that must be dealt with. I use steel valve stems to address that.

No problems whatsoever on the rears with the 3.75. But then, there are no problems on the rear with the 4" either.
    Excellent, Joe; thanks for the report. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioRoy View Post
    Mine are GM copies and you cannot use a traditional small hub cap. I am using a GM cap car plain center cap with trim rings. I have not looked in the Speedway catalogue recently, but got mine just before going to South Bend. I had been using MOPAR cop car wheels, but had clearance problems. Also since they were used wheels I had a difficult time balancing them. Thus I moved to what I have now.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Speedster Member
    2016103195155622.jpg Here is a picture Junior. The cap is a 1967 Impala poverty cap. The emblem is the pattern I made for my buddy at the sign shop. It will have a silver background with a black S as the original did. I have not been able to pick it up because my buddy has had health issues the last couple of weeks. Hope this helps, Lumpy.

Thanks Joe and the others who've contributed to this. I'm asking so I can make my '64 GT Hawk with front disc brakes safer.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dansct444 View Post
    Thanks Joe and the others who've contributed to this. I'm asking so I can make my '64 GT Hawk with front disc brakes safer.

Dan
    problem
    I have Turner discs on the front of my Cruiser with no problems as far as the wheels go.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser

Both my '62 GT and my dads '53 coupe have '83-'97 Ford Crown Vic 15"x 6.5" , 3.75" backspace wheels with 215-70-15 tires with no interference problems at all; the '53 has disk brakes too.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    2016103195155622.jpg Here is a picture Junior. The cap is a 1967 Impala poverty cap. The emblem is the pattern I made for my buddy at the sign shop. It will have a silver background with a black S as the original did. I have not been able to pick it up because my buddy has had health issues the last couple of weeks. Hope this helps, Lumpy.

sweet, I like! cheers, junior

1954 C5 Hamilton car.