Restoration questions and opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gminer View Post
    ... looking for interior fabric (Original).
    I suspect you will only find it at Reneé Harger's Southeast Studebaker, if he still has it. He periodically has a run of new fabric milled for orders he has received and those he anticipates so, it will depend on how close you are to the beginning or end of the run. But impeccably perfect original. www.southeaststudebaker.com
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have Rene (Southeast Studebaker) working on the interior of Dad's 50 Champion Starlight now. When I placed my order he had at least enough material to do Dad's car. I suggest you get your order in early because Rene stays backed up with orders.
      Wayne
      "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Does he order the material in or have it made for him to use only? I was just wanting to order it by the yard if I could find this style.
        1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

Comment

You have a very late in the model year (8/29/50) 1950 Champion Regal Deluxe four door sedan assembled in South Bend with a rare, first year (of this type) automatic transmission.

1950 Champion sedans came in three trim levels, 1.3 & 5. You have the top level (5) Regal Deluxe.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

In the 1940's and EARLY 1950's you did not see Cars with Pretty, Bright Colors on the inside or similar to outside Colors.
            That change at Studebaker happened in 1955 and on to 1966.

Today, it is "Back to Future" at the Car Mfg's. all you get is Tan or Gray, very limited just like the 1940's to mid 1950's Cars.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I am a new Studebaker owner. I picked up a 50 Champion. It is a true barn find. 37 years in a barn in Mandan North Dakota. I am having a blast learning about this car. My father loved Studebaker’s. I have most of my manuals, and constantly learning. I am going to endeavor to keep this old gal original as possible. The reason why I wanted to say something here, is that I was wondering about the color of the grill as well. Mine was just metal looking. No color. I stumbled across a note at the bottom of page 82 in the chassis parts catalog. It states, “aluminum painted grilles used on and after car serial numbers in note 5”. South Bend for the Champion would be 581,464. Since mine is number 626032, mine would be aluminum painted. All Champion’s prior to the 581,464, would be chrome and painted grilles. If someone could check for me, to make sure I am reading it right, that would be great. I would like to say hello to Radio Roy. He helped me fine a nice original radio for my car. Thanks Roy, if you remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapiron View Post
                ...The reason why I wanted to say something here, is that I was wondering about the color of the grill as well. Mine was just metal looking. No color. I stumbled across a note at the bottom of page 82 in the chassis parts catalog. It states, “aluminum painted grilles used on and after car serial numbers in note 5”. South Bend for the Champion would be 581,464. Since mine is number 626032, mine would be aluminum painted. All Champion’s prior to the 581,464, would be chrome and painted grilles. If someone could check for me, to make sure I am reading it right, that would be great. I would like to say hello to Radio Roy. He helped me fine a nice original radio for my car. Thanks Roy, if you remember.
                Congratulations on being a new Studebaker owner.

You read the book correctly and thanks for mentioning it. I was unaware that the grills were painted aluminum after the chrome was discontinued. All these years, and I never read that footnote.

Glad the radio worked out for you.

Have fun Studebakering!
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks Roy. In regards to the radio. It’s is very good condition for being 72 years old. Looks all original. I have the face plate off to be re-chromed and will order knew “bullet” knobs. The push buttons are in very good shape. My question, would you have time to restore this? I could email you if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrapiron View Post
                    Thanks Roy. In regards to the radio. It’s is very good condition for being 72 years old. Looks all original. I have the face plate off to be re-chromed and will order knew “bullet” knobs. The push buttons are in very good shape. My question, would you have time to restore this? I could email you if you like.
                    I stopped doing repairs on original technology. Bud was kind enough to take up the slack. he is on the forum.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Ok. Thank you kindly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmallett View Post
                        Hey Dan. Definitely will. Searched most of the day. I looked through SMS, but according to 3 restoration shops I know people at, I was told to steer clear of doing business with them. Hopefully you have a better experience than what they have had. They are fairly large, higher end shops, (that I can't afford. Lol), and they refuse to consider them. However, if they had the material by the yard, I would probably order the raw material.
                        See this is how misinformation gets started-someone said that someone else said that this operation is not to be trusted. Well I have used them several times with remarkably good results!

As far as your 1950 is concerned, your interior seems all original albeit faded in spots. If it were me I would refurbish as an original car using the less then perfect interior that is already there.

I doubt very much that you will find an exact match for the upholstery material. My Sweetie has a 1950 Starlight Coupe in #5 trim level. It has the exact interior that your car has.

The original woven material in her car is no better then fair condition. She can't seem to stomach the cotton batting sticking through the front seat back, so we have been trying to find a substitute. We have the closest match that SMS could provide, but it's not as original. It just doesn't exist! What's more is SMS doesn't have any the chances are really good that it doesn't exist.

I have been looking for remnants of the original so we can piece together what is already there. If you choose to use something other then what is original please give me a shout! But whatever you do don't rip it out. Save it so a crazy like me can use it to piece together an original interior.

Comment

How about putting clear plastic seat covers on the car to keep the original fabric from tearing?

Comment

The door panels look correct as does the 'Greige' paint. I'm not so sure the seats are original. Are those seat covers over the original uph?
                            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                              The door panels look correct as does the 'Greige' paint. I'm not so sure the seats are original. Are those seat covers over the original uph?
                              Dwain, those seats are original, as is the whole interior - unless we are talking about a different car.

Just the facts, please.

Of course, I cannot complain too much, having gotten the color of the late grills wrong all these years.
                              Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-26-2022, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Roy, if you are talking about that Old 2017 Post #1 Photo #1 Seat Upholstery, & #2 Carpet I don't see how anyone can tell much about it at all, as it is Zoomed way too close and too blurry to tell WHAT that is.

However Pic. #3 DOES just look wrong like a smooth, no seams Seat Cover.

The OP's last activity was 12/22/2018 and not here since, so I guess we can't ask more questions.
                                StudeRich
                                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                                X