6v fuel sender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 6v fuel sender

Need a 6 volt fuel sending unit. Any of the universals work right, or buy one for 90.00 from SI.
    1955 Regal Commander.

Before you shell out money for a new sending unit it might pay to remove your sender from the tank to check if the ethanol gas has ruined the cork float. There are universal 12 volt senders, not sure if 6 volt universal senders even exist.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

I got one (p/n 525548, 6v) from SI about 6 years ago for my '54 sedan. It works great now, but had issues 'out of the box'. The first thing I did when I got it was check the full down (empty) and full up (full) positions with the sender hooked up to the dash gauge and a good ground attached. Not very good results, so I bench tested it with an ohmmeter and found that the ohm range was way off. By putting the sender in the tank (tank was empty, just finished cleaning it internally) and moving the arm up with a string tied to the arm and coming out one of the screw holes, and incrementally adjusting the arm and the full & closed stops a little at a time, I finally got the ohm range to read correctly in the full and empty position. Checking it wired up to the dash gauge confirmed everything was correct.

The first time I filled the tank up, there was a gas smell in the trunk. When I got home, some investigating found gas on top of the sender. I wiped it off, checked the screws that hold the sender to the tank (they were tight), and a few minutes later there was more gas on the top of the sender. After thoroughly wiping the top of the sender off, around the screws and everywhere, I used a bright flashlight and was able to see the gas seeping out. It was starting at the center of the fuel sender and seeping out in a circle pretty quick. Tightened the center nut (over the white plastic insulator) but that didn't help much. Then I carefully tightened the two small screws on each side of the terminal (that holds the guts to the mounting plate). That slowed down the seepage and after cleaning the sender off really good, and using the bright light again, I could see the gas slowly seeping out from around the two small screws/washers. See attached picture, I have red arrows pointing to the two screws/washers. Tightened them again, as much as I could without risking breaking/stripping them. The seepage/leakage was much slower, but still there. I ended up using copper malleable washers under these screws, instead of what looks like steel flatwashers that were under them originally.

I've had no issues with the sender since then, and it has worked well. A universal 6 volt sender, if you can find one, would probably not be much more of an issue to dial in than what I had to do with the SI sender. Hopefully SI has improved their sender since I purchased mine, and you may not have the adjustment issue and leak issue that I had. (I did provide feedback to SI regarding these issues.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	6vFuelSender.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1713882
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Good info here. This should be on one of the help sites.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
        X