Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: First Step of the New Project

Had to take care of something today and it took me out of the shop for a few hours but it was worth it. I picked up this engine and transmission.

Yes. it is the real deal. 1964 low mileage 409. Was getting water into a cylinder so it was replaced with a small block. My job is to tear it down and find out where the water was getting in. Tomorrow mornings job. I got one fender done for the race car. Cut out the rusted panel and repaired the brace before adding new sheet metal.

Still have to weld up all the trim holes and then it is ready for primer and paint. Progress is good. Shingles were a little better today so maybe they are going away. More as it happens.
    Dan

President Member 4961Studebaker's Avatar
    Looking great.
    61 Lark

Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
    Ya Florida might be too expensive. I wonder if Greyhound would ship it for us. How much are you asking for them? I will keep you in mind and if nothing pops up closer I will let you know. Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I think the last one of these cranks I bought was from Virginia. I will look and see how much it cost to ship it out here.
    Dan
    Fastenall will ship it for you and reasonable too....`11

Tom is finally off of his crazy work hours. He got his frame jig finished and was able to mate the two Studebaker frames together. The 1959 front clip is now attached to the 1955 hardtop frame. Still have to fish plate it and more but at least it is one piece again. Tom and his son Riley brought it up to the shop and we rolled it under the body and lowered it down to see how it fit. everything lines up so all is good.

Waiting on tires and wheels and then we can figure out what front axle to use. More as it happens.
    Dan

colt45sa,
    Just don't ship a hood by them. No matter how rare and how fantastic the condition they just might load something on top of it and ruin it. Very sad and true story.

Had some fun yesterday. Took the Bel Air to the annual Cobra Picnic. This year it was held at the Estrella War Bird Museum. Drove the 45 miles in pouring rain. No leaks so that was good. Had a good lunch then toured the military and automobile museum. Really cool as I had not seen it in a few years as it was under construction last time I was there. Had to take a nap halfway through the day but I made it to the end. Rain had stopped by the time I was ready to leave so I snapped a couple of pictures of the car. They had me between the Mustang and Corvette clubs. Guess that was to keep them from fighting too much. Guy commented on the car and told me his Mustang was probably a little faster than the Chevy. I told him that was because he didn't know the secret of the car. When I told him it had the 400 HP LS engine and Corvette suspension he just quietly sulked away. One of the Corvette guys pointed out that the Gen 2 LS was rated at 400 HP through the cats. Since this car doesn't have cats he suggested the HP was probably closer to 450 to 460. Here are the pictures.

This last picture was really cool. A lady who was taking a picture told me that if I moved over by her I could get a picture of the car and plane reflecting in the water puddle.

So I know it is not a Studebaker but it is the inspiration I am using to make my Hawk fulfill all my dreams for the car. Driving the Chevy makes me really want to get my car done. By the way my dad flew those planes back in WW2. This was the best therapy for me as I had a really tough week. How tough was it. I was too weak and fatigued to even work on the Hawk or anything else for that matter. When I told my wife that she said one word "bad".
    Dan

I am still trying to figure out how to manage the side effects of the new cancer treatments I am on. So I am not getting much done but I am getting a lot of mental engineering and planning done. I can sit in the shop and just look around at the eight projects and make mental notes and even put some on paper. Did get the trailer winch installed for Robin. Part of my trading labor for access.

Still have some painting and welding to do but mostly complete. Just before I left last night I took the leaf springs off the Ford 9" differential we are planning to use on the Packard Hawk clone race car. It was in the 55 President when Tom got the car so we light as well use it. I have been spraying the u bolts for two weeks now and it paid off as the 1/2" gun spun the nuts right off. Took the center bolts out and separated the springs. We are going to use the main leaf to align the differential and then use dual adjustable coil over shocks for ride height and control. One of the leafs had a sticker which led me to believe it has been replaced at one point.

So a little progress but very therapeutic for me personally. Next week is a week off treatments so I hope to get more done and hoping I feel better. So as always more as it happens.
    Dan

Progress. Tom was off work and I was feeling OK. So we met at the shop and got some work done. Five hours later Tom was happy and the front axle order was placed. Lots to be done but at least we are moving again. After Tom left and I had lunch I moved the car and installed the front nose piece. The front valance is really twisted and bent so I am going to have locate one. Looking for a NOS or good used one. 1956 to 19612 Hawk front valance needed. Hope to get up to the shop tomorrow to get more done on the front nose and start making the new bumper from fiberglass. Sorry there are only three pictures tonight as I forgot the camera. I will take more tomorrow.

Got the nose to fit better. Had to cut some more off the fenders to make it clear. Now just have to finish the slide in part.

Took the body off the frame and set the frame up outside so it can be blasted. Going to the Donut Derelicts gathering and then to the shop to meet the blasting guy. Frame should be clean and ready for modifications by noon. More with pictures tomorrow.

Brett came up and got the frame blasted.

With the frame done he blasted the body in the places I had asked him to. Now it has that swiss cheese look in a few places. But nothing really bad.

As I was leaving I spotted our new mascot getting ready to cross the road.

More as it happens.

President Member
    Dan, I've heard of using walnut shells for media blasting but never turtle shells!
    Bill

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan, is your blaster guy using the Dustless Blasting tools I see touted on My Class Car? That is what it looks like in the background of shot of the blasting.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan;[1106547
    As I was leaving I spotted our new mascot getting ready to cross the road.

More as it happens.
    A very appropriate metaphor, with a similar possibility of consequences, but it doesn't sound like it should be quite as much of a daunting task, or provide near the same degree of satisfaction, as the one you've chosen to attempt!!! Good luck to the both of you, I'm sure you're both in all our prayers!

Mark
    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-22-2018 at 05:32 PM.

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Ed,

Yes this is the Dustless Eco-Blasting that a lot of people are talking about. I am very impressed with the work. The surface is easy to paint with just a light 400 grit hand sanding or I use a fine scotchbrite pad. Then prep solvent and then a tack rag and then primer and paint. Sure beats all the work it takes to get a smooth surface with regular blasting. I have tried other blasting methods over the years including soda blasting which I would say is the other method I would use. Walnut shells would be third. For fiberglass bodies I found that soda blasting works best. But with only one turtle in the pond I don't think we could clean much with his or hers shell. LOL Sorry Buzzard I just couldn't resist.
    Dan

Mark,

I like the way you think. I appreciate your praying for me. I know that is the prayers that are keeping me going. By all rights I am not supposed to be here but here I am and although this current trial is tough I know I will emerge victorious.
    Dan

For those who might want to know more about this method of surface preparation here is the link to the company that makes the machines.

https://www.dustlessblasting.com/

Because they add a rust inhibitor tot he tank and then rinse with it the metal does not rust right away even though they are using water in the blasting tank. I have a fender that i have not had time to primer yet and it is not rusted even though it was blasted by Brett over a month ago. The rust inhibitor also has a paint adhesion additive so the surface is basically paint ready with good adhesion of the paint. They have sold machines all across America so you should be able to find someone who is using this method in your area. If not maybe its time for a new career for you.
    Dan

I was feeling really bad on Saturday so I didn't even take any pictures of the blasting job so here goes. The frame:

Took the frame up to Tom's house tonight and we put it on the frame jig. He will begin replacing the front cross member and installing the new suspension and straight axle. The Bod:

Tipped it up on its side today so I can carefully inspect the under side. Looks solid and the torque boxes are solid as can be. I guess all that heavy undercoating did its job.

So lots planned for this weekends work party. So more as it happens.

Today I got the body flipped back over and set up ready for the first work crew to show up tomorrow. They will be mocking up the interior. Seat, dash, steering column so we can make the final specs for the roll cage. Hope to order it tomorrow and have it installed by the end of the month.

While they are working on the race car I will be installing the new electric parking brake in the Bel Air.

Parts showed up today. Not pictured is the seat. Really like the sprint car collapsible and adjustable steering column.

So more with pictures as it happens tomorrow.
    Dan
    Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 06-12-2018 at 10:18 PM.

WOW! I see it has been a month and a half since I posted here. It has been a rough time for us. My cancer is progressing and the treatments weren't working so now we are just trying to stop and control the pain the tumors are causing. Had my last radiation treatment on Monday and now just have to wait for the cooking to finish and then the healing to begin. Still fighting chronic pain but doing better little by little. So what do you do when you are in pain and not able to go to the shop and get some of the time sensitive work done? Like taking apart the engine that will serve as the back up engine for Bonneville? Why you let your wife do it. Kathy saw my frustration and she assured me that if I told her what to do she could do it. So this afternoon we went up to the shop and she got to work.
    First she moved the engine over to her work area. Set out the tools and other things she would need.

then she got busy removing each item that I pointed out. She loves power tools so she was in heaven. Off came the heads.

next came the pan, pistons, crankshaft.

Next she took everything off the block to get it ready for the hot tank.

Then she even knocked out the soft plugs. Sure is awesome watching her work.

Task completed she loaded the block in the back of the truck and it is ready to be dropped off in the morning.

Now that this task is out of the way we hope to get started on our Hawk. We have a lot to do and we need to be moving forward. I hope that I get some pain relief because although it is fun and gratifying to watch her work it is not the same as when I am working along side her. By the way she is staying home and is now my 24/7 caregiver which is fine by me. She knows my needs and can tell when things are not right. I am not all that comfortable with having someone I don't know living with us and taking care of me. So more as it happens.

President Member
    Dan,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you from Canada. Hang in there! Your wife is a real trooper.
    Bill

I sure have missed your posts Dan, glad to see you're still at it & also glad to see you are as lucky as me when it comes to the love-one!
    (I'll have a word with the god in charge to give you some slack... )

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Took yesterday off to heal and not push things after a month and a half layoff. Today we got back to the shop and my wife assembled the parts washing tank. Thanks for the recommendation Bill. After it was together and we discussed the modifications that will be needed, we filled it up with eco friendly fluid (means it doesn't clean that fast but easy to dispose of the old stuff) and she got busy. She got most of the parts cleaned, dried and put in zip lock bags. Then she labelled them and boxed them up. Labelled the boxes and put them on the shelf ready if needed.

She doesn't like my big solvent gloves so I guess I am buying her some gloves tomorrow. I got the heavy duty chain hoist installed on the gantry crane. Now we have two hoists until the electric one comes back from being repaired.

Took awhile as I can only work for so long before the tank runs empty but I got four 570 heads taken apart and ready for taking them to Sacramento next week. Some stuck valves but surprisingly only punched out one guide. Will clean them up and see if I need to look at any of the other heads we have.

Kathy told me when I came out to get some more pistons to dry off that one of them must have a broken ring as she found a piece of metal in the tank after cleaning it. Turns out is much worse if I was going to try and use these pistons. The ring land is broken big time. Will need to see what the wall looks like but when I looked at them two days ago I didn't see any gouges.

So will try and go tomorrow if I feel good. Lots to do and so little time to do it. More as it happens.
    Dan

So I have been looking for some FORGED 259 pistons in standard bore 3 9?16" and someone seemed to think that Studebaker offered them in trucks? Or in some form. I was asked to supply the part number so they could check their stock. H]Does anyone, maybe Bob Palma, have any information about this? Would like to purchase two sets, one for the race engine and another for the back up engine. We will be taking both to Bonneville with us in September. If you have any ideas as to where to find some pistons no matter who the maker please let me know.
    Dan

Speedster Member
    So I have been looking for some FORGED 259 pistons in standard bore 3 9?16" and someone seemed to think that Studebaker offered them in trucks? Or in some form. I was asked to supply the part number so they could check their stock. H]Does anyone, maybe Bob Palma, have any information about this? Would like to purchase two sets, one for the race engine and another for the back up engine.
    Uh oh, Dan, that sounds like something that could be kinda scarce? I'm not really sure, but there are many here who would have a lot better idea, than I do, what may have originally been available. What still exists and where it can be acquired? If there is no more cost effective source, and your pockets are deep enough, they could always be custom made? We're all preying for you, Dan, Good Luck with everything!

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

I am currently looking at options. Ross and Diamond will make them for us but at a hit to the budget. Thank you to all who are praying for me and my wife. Still holding out for a miracle but for now nothing new treatment wise has shown up. I have beaten the beast 10 times and I am not ready to give up now. So we press on.

Grandson made it up so I had him bolt a set of blank heads on the 259 I used at Bonneville in 2011. Then he bolted the new R3 style exhaust headers to the heads. Then he went out to the storage container and dug out the side pipes we used on the Bucket List Dream Avanti in 2010. These were made by Mike Howe when we had Karl Sparks "Twin Charger" engine in the car.

Now we can see how much work the cylinder head guy has to do to clean them up and port them to match the heads, We will cut the pipes and remove the three inch pipes and build a new system from there. Progress is good. More as it happens.

Yipeeee! The block is back from the machine shop. All clean and with all plugs removed. Magnafluxed and new cam bearings. Now we can start to modify it for racing. Progress finally.

So more as it happens.
    Dan

Okay, I'm confused again. Which engine is this?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

This is the back up 259 for the Packard Hawk. The main engine is the 232 that I picked up at your place last year. It is at the race shop in Sacramento being outfitted with four bolt mains and a dry sump oiling system Among other things. This block will replace the block that got damaged by the driver in 2011 who melted it down. It will have the Clay Smith camshaft (R3/5 specs) and a wet sump 10 quart pan. The heads will be Hutchison modified and it will use the same Kinsler fuel injection system. We are taking a back up engine so we won't need it. Hope this clears up the confusion.
    Dan

Dan, got it. So what are you doing with the stock heads from the 232?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

It was short block, no heads. Remember you cleaned the top of a piston to see if it had markings on it. Both engines will be running completely trick heads from RHR shop.
    Dan

It was short block, no heads. Remember you cleaned the top of a piston to see if it had markings on it. Both engines will be running completely trick heads from RHR shop.
    Dan
    Sheesh! I am getting old. I do remember that it was a short block now that you mention it. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Finally got to go back to the shop today. It felt good to be back. Can't do much until my finger heals (had surgery to clean out an infection) so I did some cleaning and organizing. Dug out the Clay Smith cam to set it next to the roller cam for the 299 for next year. man what a difference.

Put a cam I had laying around into the old 259 block and put a bolt in the cam to mark the cover for cam center. Painted the inside of the caver and then slid the cover on. Got my mark and drilled a 3/8" hole. Checked alignment and it is good to go. Need to fab a hub for the 3/8" hex and then a tool steel hex shaft to drive the fuel pump and we are good to go. Progress.

Sorted through over 25 years of Studebaker gaskets. Put the good ones in zip lock bags and labeled them. Put them all in a plastic tote and labeled them and now ready for race day. Cleaned off two tables of clutter and now have an idea on how to organize things. Always changing ever evolving thing. So all in all a good day. More as it happens.
    Dan

What is the hole in the front cover for? I'm not familiar with that modification.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

It looks like the plan is to drive the fuel pump off of the front of the cam, with a hex drive, running through the timing cover.

Quote Originally Posted by tsenecal View Post
    It looks like the plan is to drive the fuel pump off of the front of the cam, with a hex drive, running through the timing cover.
    Okay, that makes sense. I understand the reference to the fuel pump.

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

President Member Jerry Forrester's Avatar
    I'm thinking it's to install a button to hold the cam in place. It IS a roller lifter cam after all.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Actually the first guess was right. We are making a bolt for the cam that has a 3/8" hex in the end of it. A tool steel hex shaft will connect to a drive hub spindle and that will drive the Hilborn fuel pump. We are using a mechanical Kinsler Injection unit for our 259 and later engines. Direct port injection.

The hole will be bigger once we have the hub and know the spindle size. Stay tuned for more as it happens.
    Dan

Brian Greenhall.
    Here are the pictures of the Stude.

We can go over it when you get here.
    Dan

Thanks Dan, I appreciate it!
    See you in a couple of weeks.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ