Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Step of the New Project

Speedster Member
    Very entertaining and interesting to follow this thread. Keep it coming!
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

So work began today on the 55 President that will serve as the foundation for the Bonneville race car. Got the rear bumper removed, rear fenders off, the front and back windshields cut out, the door and quarter glass removed and finally the doors removed. Ready to remove the body which will happen on Tuesday. Good to have the shop set up and actually working on projects.

So more as it happens
    Dan

Got the Silver Hawk body moved to the front of the shop today. Love that gantry crane. Hope to get it loaded on the trailer tomorrow to take it to its new home. Sad to see it go but excited for the future of the Thunder Hawk.

Got the body parts all set out so they can be loaded into the cars that they will go with. Parts to 55 will go to media blaster and parts for the Silver Hawk will be loaded into it before we load it on the trailer.

Picked up another one of these great heavy duty shelves from Costco this weekend. Only $ 149.95 and very well made and let me tell you heavy. Added some 7.99 casters from HF and it now meets the requirements of the shop.

Same goes for the cut off saw and the drill press. Found a Black and Decker Workmate and added a piece of plywood and a 7.99 HF dolly and it too is shop compliant.

So work continues. More with pictures as it happens.
    Dan

I'd like to know more about that boosted master cylinder that you got under the floor boards.
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Doug, I purchased the unit from Speedway Motors part number 9106005 for $ 249.99. I think one of the other ones would work better on a Stude as this one is designed to be mounted to the inside of the frame. But I am going to make it work. I will cut off the pedal pivot and weld it to a bracket to bolt it to the top of the frame so the pedal operates in the original position. Then the rest will be fabbed so that it pushes the piston on the master. I hope I can post pictures before years end as we plan on taking the Power Hawk apart and mounting it on my frame during the Christmas break when I have the help of my grandsons. When it happens you can depend on the story with pictures to be posted here. I learned a lot when I installed one of these units on the 1952 Studebaker R11 truck. It had a clutch so it was much more challenging. But as you can tell I do love a challenge.

Got the body unblolted from the frame today. But it was not easy. Even had to cut the head off of one of the bolts as the square nut was spinning inside the frame. Lifted it up and removed the fuel tank.

The torque boxes are in great shape which is good news as they are a pain to replace.

So now it is sitting back on the frame awaiting its turn to be loaded on the trailer for its visit to the media blaster. Loaded the body parts that will go with it to be blasted. So more as it happens.
    Dan

These boxes got me wondering... so I went out in the barn & looked under my pals -54 Starlight & that car doesn't have any, is it only for V8's or even only for supercharged Studebakers?

Nox,

Good to hear from you bud. No the torque boxes are used on the Hardtops and not on the coupes and sedans. They were added to strengthen the body and make up for the lack of the pillar. How is your Stude project coming along?
    Dan

Took this picture right before I left the other night. Too cool like a flash back in history.

Enjoy.

President Member
    Dan, I truly admire your dedication and perseverance. Your posts keep me inspired. I too have probably (according to my missus) way more than I should have on my plate. At home I'm currently hoping to get to fruition my '70 Avanti hot rod, a 1983 Avanti 305 replacement in the form of 406 CID, a more street-able motor for my '63 GT, finishing my '59 Lark HT(almost there) and while I winter in Arizona, my 57 Clipper wagon. I may not get everything to the finished state but giving it a good try keeps me going.
    Keep up the great work and thanks for the updates.
    Bill

Aha, thanx Dan, that makes sense!

Josephine is almost out on the road now, almost...
    I ran into problem trying to prime her by turning the oilpump with drillmashine (done it before without problem), strange; I could easily turn the engine on the crank-bolt in front but by the distributer-slot it was to hard...
    Now then, I still have to make the exhaust system & since I want those old-fasioned cut-outs that comes out just behind the front wheels I've run into some difficulties but that'll be fixed soon I hope:
    I have most piping but not the Y's & mufflers & I'll probably have to rebuild/move the gearbox balk; the torqueflite has overdrive & to different fastening points, I've used the front one so far but I wanna have the silencers as far front as possible because these small blocks have a resonance around 70 km/h (with "normal" gearing, but I have the best high-speed gearing & o.d. so it'll be even higher then) if the mufflers are a bit back...
    But I hope it's gonna be fixed soon so I can slide around in the snow & surprise people & give'em a SMILE!

I sure envy your garage, I'm in our barn without heating & earth "floor", but it works.
    On the other hand I'm not sick so complaining aint much use!
    & it's been + 6-8 celsius for 3 days now...

LOVE your pictures too!!!

Ready for Tom to start work on the frame modifications. My grandson and his cousin Norma got he bellhosing modified and drilled and tapped four new holes so the Richmond 5 speed could be bolted to the Studebaker bell housing I had sitting around. With the bell housing and transmission bolted to a 289 I just removed from my Hawk frame we set them in the 55 President frame so that on Sunday Tom can start the process of modifying the frame for a straight axle conversion. Progress for sure. More as it happens.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
    Ready for Tom to start work on the frame modifications. My grandson and his cousin Norma got he bellhosing modified and drilled and tapped four new holes so the Richmond 5 speed could be bolted to the Studebaker bell housing I had sitting around. With the bell housing and transmission bolted to a 289 I just removed from my Hawk frame we set them in the 55 President frame so that on Sunday Tom can start the process of modifying the frame for a straight axle conversion. Progress for sure. More as it happens.
    Dan, I don't know if I'm alone here or not, but I for one am not overly familiar with the advantages of doing a straight axle conversion? That's a major deviation from factory original. Well within your capability I'm sure! I just dont know how significant, in comparison, the benefits may be? It seems to be popular in some, flat, straight line, racing events. Is it for weight reduction, potential castor adjustment capability, or something more, and how much improvement do you hope it will actually achieve?

Mark
    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 12-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Mark,

There are several reasons. One is the ability to get the car really low in front without having to make major changes to the A arms. Second is as you mentioned the fact that we run 17 degrees of castor to keep the car going straight at over 175 mph. There is a weight reduction but we offset that by filling the axle tube with weight. We really don't want to make the front end any lighter. Another reason is the fact that we limit our suspension travel to 1 to 2 inches so much easier to do with a straight axle. Everyone I have talked to never regretted going to a straight axle. Most ran their car with stock suspension and after having a variety of issues switched it out. So I am going with experience and making the switch now. We are building this car to run and certify at 250 mph. Not that we have any immediate plans to go that fast but it is easier to build for 250 and run 200 then build for 200 and later try to upgrade to a 250 certification. Hope this helps.
    Dan

I may have missed this earlier somewhere, but what class is the car going to run in?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

SCTA "Classic Factory Production Supercharged". Current "D" engine record holder Dave Bloomberg with an Avanti and the "E" engine record Dave Livesay with an Avanti.

Tom and his son Riley made it up today and had a very productive meeting with Andy who is our project engineer. Lots of things worked out and things on the project are firming up. Tom and Riley got the rest of the trim removed and the headliner too. So now it is ready to go to the media blaster guy. Once the body is off I will set things up for Tom so that when he is off work on two weeks he can swap out the front clip and figure out the axle drop needed so it can be ordered.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Andy and I got the new design mount made for the hoist for the gantry crane. Still not right but it works and is better than the other design.
    We were able to get the body lifted off the frame and set on the floor on blocks. So the body is ready to go to the media blaster guy.

The frame is ready for Tom the change out the front clip.

Progress.
    Dan

Seems like adding the extra weight in the frame instead of the axle would improve handling and traction....?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.