Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Step of the New Project

Speedster Member
    Very entertaining and interesting to follow this thread. Keep it coming!
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

So work began today on the 55 President that will serve as the foundation for the Bonneville race car. Got the rear bumper removed, rear fenders off, the front and back windshields cut out, the door and quarter glass removed and finally the doors removed. Ready to remove the body which will happen on Tuesday. Good to have the shop set up and actually working on projects.

So more as it happens
    Dan

Got the Silver Hawk body moved to the front of the shop today. Love that gantry crane. Hope to get it loaded on the trailer tomorrow to take it to its new home. Sad to see it go but excited for the future of the Thunder Hawk.

Got the body parts all set out so they can be loaded into the cars that they will go with. Parts to 55 will go to media blaster and parts for the Silver Hawk will be loaded into it before we load it on the trailer.

Picked up another one of these great heavy duty shelves from Costco this weekend. Only $ 149.95 and very well made and let me tell you heavy. Added some 7.99 casters from HF and it now meets the requirements of the shop.

Same goes for the cut off saw and the drill press. Found a Black and Decker Workmate and added a piece of plywood and a 7.99 HF dolly and it too is shop compliant.

So work continues. More with pictures as it happens.
    Dan

I'd like to know more about that boosted master cylinder that you got under the floor boards.
    1963 Champ "Daisy Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case, next project after the Hawk
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Doug, I purchased the unit from Speedway Motors part number 9106005 for $ 249.99. I think one of the other ones would work better on a Stude as this one is designed to be mounted to the inside of the frame. But I am going to make it work. I will cut off the pedal pivot and weld it to a bracket to bolt it to the top of the frame so the pedal operates in the original position. Then the rest will be fabbed so that it pushes the piston on the master. I hope I can post pictures before years end as we plan on taking the Power Hawk apart and mounting it on my frame during the Christmas break when I have the help of my grandsons. When it happens you can depend on the story with pictures to be posted here. I learned a lot when I installed one of these units on the 1952 Studebaker R11 truck. It had a clutch so it was much more challenging. But as you can tell I do love a challenge.

Got the body unblolted from the frame today. But it was not easy. Even had to cut the head off of one of the bolts as the square nut was spinning inside the frame. Lifted it up and removed the fuel tank.

The torque boxes are in great shape which is good news as they are a pain to replace.

So now it is sitting back on the frame awaiting its turn to be loaded on the trailer for its visit to the media blaster. Loaded the body parts that will go with it to be blasted. So more as it happens.
    Dan

These boxes got me wondering... so I went out in the barn & looked under my pals -54 Starlight & that car doesn't have any, is it only for V8's or even only for supercharged Studebakers?

Nox,

Good to hear from you bud. No the torque boxes are used on the Hardtops and not on the coupes and sedans. They were added to strengthen the body and make up for the lack of the pillar. How is your Stude project coming along?
    Dan

Took this picture right before I left the other night. Too cool like a flash back in history.

Enjoy.

President Member
    Dan, I truly admire your dedication and perseverance. Your posts keep me inspired. I too have probably (according to my missus) way more than I should have on my plate. At home I'm currently hoping to get to fruition my '70 Avanti hot rod, a 1983 Avanti 305 replacement in the form of 406 CID, a more street-able motor for my '63 GT, finishing my '59 Lark HT(almost there) and while I winter in Arizona, my 57 Clipper wagon. I may not get everything to the finished state but giving it a good try keeps me going.
    Keep up the great work and thanks for the updates.
    Bill

Aha, thanx Dan, that makes sense!

Josephine is almost out on the road now, almost...
    I ran into problem trying to prime her by turning the oilpump with drillmashine (done it before without problem), strange; I could easily turn the engine on the crank-bolt in front but by the distributer-slot it was to hard...
    Now then, I still have to make the exhaust system & since I want those old-fasioned cut-outs that comes out just behind the front wheels I've run into some difficulties but that'll be fixed soon I hope:
    I have most piping but not the Y's & mufflers & I'll probably have to rebuild/move the gearbox balk; the torqueflite has overdrive & two different fastening points, I've used the front one so far but I wanna have the silencers as far front as possible because these small blocks have a resonance around 70 km/h (with "normal" gearing, but I have the best high-speed gearing & o.d. so it'll be even higher then) if the mufflers are a bit back...
    But I hope it's gonna be fixed soon so I can slide around in the snow & surprise people & give'em a SMILE!

I sure envy your garage, I'm in our barn without heating & earth "floor", but it works.
    On the other hand I'm not sick so complaining aint much use!
    & it's been + 6-8 celsius for 3 days now...

LOVE your pictures too!!!

Last edited by Noxnabaker; 12-18-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Ready for Tom to start work on the frame modifications. My grandson and his cousin Norma got he bellhosing modified and drilled and tapped four new holes so the Richmond 5 speed could be bolted to the Studebaker bell housing I had sitting around. With the bell housing and transmission bolted to a 289 I just removed from my Hawk frame we set them in the 55 President frame so that on Sunday Tom can start the process of modifying the frame for a straight axle conversion. Progress for sure. More as it happens.

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
    Ready for Tom to start work on the frame modifications. My grandson and his cousin Norma got he bellhosing modified and drilled and tapped four new holes so the Richmond 5 speed could be bolted to the Studebaker bell housing I had sitting around. With the bell housing and transmission bolted to a 289 I just removed from my Hawk frame we set them in the 55 President frame so that on Sunday Tom can start the process of modifying the frame for a straight axle conversion. Progress for sure. More as it happens.
    Dan, I don't know if I'm alone here or not, but I for one am not overly familiar with the advantages of doing a straight axle conversion? That's a major deviation from factory original. Well within your capability I'm sure! I just dont know how significant, in comparison, the benefits may be? It seems to be popular in some, flat, straight line, racing events. Is it for weight reduction, potential castor adjustment capability, or something more, and how much improvement do you hope it will actually achieve?

Mark
    Last edited by S2Deluxe; 12-10-2017 at 04:02 PM.

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Mark,

There are several reasons. One is the ability to get the car really low in front without having to make major changes to the A arms. Second is as you mentioned the fact that we run 17 degrees of castor to keep the car going straight at over 175 mph. There is a weight reduction but we offset that by filling the axle tube with weight. We really don't want to make the front end any lighter. Another reason is the fact that we limit our suspension travel to 1 to 2 inches so much easier to do with a straight axle. Everyone I have talked to never regretted going to a straight axle. Most ran their car with stock suspension and after having a variety of issues switched it out. So I am going with experience and making the switch now. We are building this car to run and certify at 250 mph. Not that we have any immediate plans to go that fast but it is easier to build for 250 and run 200 then build for 200 and later try to upgrade to a 250 certification. Hope this helps.
    Dan

I may have missed this earlier somewhere, but what class is the car going to run in?
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

SCTA "Classic Factory Production Supercharged". Current "D" engine record holder Dave Bloomberg with an Avanti and the "E" engine record Dave Livesay with an Avanti.

Tom and his son Riley made it up today and had a very productive meeting with Andy who is our project engineer. Lots of things worked out and things on the project are firming up. Tom and Riley got the rest of the trim removed and the headliner too. So now it is ready to go to the media blaster guy. Once the body is off I will set things up for Tom so that when he is off work on two weeks he can swap out the front clip and figure out the axle drop needed so it can be ordered.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Andy and I got the new design mount made for the hoist for the gantry crane. Still not right but it works and is better than the other design.
    We were able to get the body lifted off the frame and set on the floor on blocks. So the body is ready to go to the media blaster guy.

The frame is ready for Tom the change out the front clip.

Progress.
    Dan

Seems like adding the extra weight in the frame instead of the axle would improve handling and traction....?
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Yes, you are right adding weight to the frame will help traction and so thereby handling at speed. Building a car for land speed racing is so different than the drag racing and road racing cars I have build in the past. You really have to think differently than with any other racing venue. I actually have it easy with this build as we are only looking to go just over 200 miles per hour so we build for 250 mph. So much easier than building a 300+ mph car. More as it happens.
    Dan

So Robin finally saw the sign so now I can post it. To thank Robin for sponsoring our race car project with the use of his shop I had Andy Houlbeck with Signs by Andy make a cool wood sign. If you need a wood sign made he is the guy. He is also one of our team members. So Robin and I were working in the shop on Thursday and he looked up and saw the sign and he was very impressed. I am glad it made his day.

Is there someone here who can tell me how to rename this forum? Now that we have settled on a Packard Hawk I would like to change the name to something reflecting that.

I'm never out of wordly ideas, always have way to many for my own world...
    So if it was, not that is is thou, up to me to rename it would be:
    "PackardRacerHawk thread".

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan,
    Go to your first post and click on "Edit Post". Then click on "Go Advanced". You can edit the title there.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

I'm sort of partial to renaming this thread to Floobly J. McKnubbnubb, Junior Ph.D.
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Speedster Member
    I don't know if you really need any more suggestions, Dan, but maybe (Bonneville Packard Hawk project) would be good?

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Picture of four of the eight cylinder heads I picked up yesterday. Will be taking them to Sacramento for porting and polishing and other modifications for the project.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Didn't have what I needed for the Bronco so I worked on the Power Hawk. Got the theater and heater box out. Made a plate to cover the hole. Just have to install the seat now.

Cleaned up the Chevy intake manifold. Got it marked and started making the cuts. Things were going good but I got tired and let the saw slip and killed my last long blade. So I had to stop for today and go blade shopping. So tomorrow I will finish the cuts and get things cleaned up and ready for paint. Maybe even git it installed this weekend.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Got the manifold cut today. Ground it down to make it look better. Tapped all the holes. Cleaned all the mating surfaces. Ready for paint. Hope to get it installed this week and do performance tests this weekend to compare to factory manifold.

More as it happens.
    Dan

So do you have to overcome inertia or get psyched up to do something like saw away on that manifold? Is it a little white knuckle going while you do it? Sometimes I miss the temerity of my youth. But not much since it can get you into too much trouble.

Doug,

Actually it was easy. The hard part was marking it to make sure I didn't accidently cut off something I needed. Marked it top and bottom to be sure. The manifold was free and they are a dime a dozen in that model so I wasn't that worried. If I was cutting one of the late model expensive ones it might be a little more nerve wracking. Cutting it reminded me of my youth (that was a long time ago) when I used to cut down the Chevies with my Studebaker's and then my Mopars. Best ever was when we brought out the Max Wedge Plymouth Savoy and then the ultimate brand X killer the Hemi cars. So now a Chevy part dies so that a Studebaker can find new youth.
    Dan

Oooo, even if it's of topic, I wanna read about that Savoy... Please?

Got the manifold painted. Got out the plates from Jon Kammer and installed them n the 289. Then installed the manifold.

These are the pieces that got cut off. I will be providing measurements from the valley cover to the air horn on the stock and this manifold for a real life comparison. Hope to have it installed and running this weekend. And if all goes right make the acceleration tests too. More as it happens.
    Dan

OK Nox off topic or not the story is my dad and adopted uncle bought a 1963 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge car. It had the optional 13 to 1 compression High Performance engine. There were stickers all over the car that warned that the car was not designed for daily street driving. Should only be used in supervised acceleration events. Car ran in the 12's in showroom stock condition. Slicks dropped it into the low twelves. Tuning and jetting and some suspension mods (pinion snubber) got it into the high 11's. Bigger and better slicks and some trial and error we got it into the low 11's. Then things got weird and the car ended up with a 383 and became a driver. Got wrecked and then I lost track of it. I had the engine until the late eighties when family pressures forced the sale of the engine and one of the saddest days of my life. And now you know the rest of the story. If I ever come into money that will be the first car I reproduce. I know where and engine compete is so all I need is a few (lots) bucks.
    Dan

Okidoki Dan, thanx! I've also had my early 60's MoPars & the feeling of a (some -62's for me) well prepaierd 413 is rather... eh nice!
    Back to reality.
    (I think I have a knock'n sound in my engine... )

A knock'n sound is not good. I hope it is something simple. You have put a lot of work into that project and a set back is not what you need. Let us know what you find.
    Dan

Thanx & yes, it's hard to hear with only headers but I think there might be something on the left side, so I reckon a piston bolt.

So this is what I brought to the shop yesterday from Anaheim. On loan from Brian of Australia so we can see how these cars were put together and fab all the brackets and such we will need. Will also use the fenders as models to modify our Golden Hawk fenders for the front nose piece. Thank you Brain for loaning this to us. It is going to save us a lot of hours of guess work.

Hope to get it off the trailer and in the shop in the morning. Then get the nose off of it to see how it all goes together. More with pictures as it happens.
    Dan

No problem Dan, and thanks for hauling that Corvette shell down to Stanton for me !
    I am getting prices now to freight the damaged hood that you can use on your project, I will let you know.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Today was shuffle day. Moved everything but the Bronco to make room for the Packard Hawk. Got it off the trailer and parked where I want it.

Since the grandson was there I had him take all the brake shoes off the hawk. He got a lesson in brake drum and shoe removal. Good student.

Things in front went as expected but the rear was weird. The drivers side drum popped when I was tightening the puller. Didn't need to even beat on it once. The passenger side had a hub and slide on drum set up with no finned drum. Did not look Stude to me but what do I know.

So all the brake shoes are off the car it is ready to go to Australia when we are finished with it. I took some time to get familiar with the car and noticed the fan was on backwards.

That kind of stuff bugs me so I turned it around to correct the issue. While I had the fan off I put a socket on the crank bolt and it turned over real free and smooth. Makes me wonder, does it run? So I changed out the burned up battery cables and put a battery in it. Turned over smooth and quiet and a quick glance showed 40 psi oil pressure. So now the question is, does it run?
    Before I left I took this cool picture from a ladder in the corner of the shop. Coolness factor times 10 plus. I might have this one blown up and framed to hang int he shop.

So Monday is Bronco day but Tuesday I hope to get back on my stuff. More as it happens.