No announcement yet.

First Step of the New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had some fun yesterday. Took the Bel Air to the annual Cobra Picnic. This year it was held at the Estrella War Bird Museum. Drove the 45 miles in pouring rain. No leaks so that was good. Had a good lunch then toured the military and automobile museum. Really cool as I had not seen it in a few years as it was under construction last time I was there. Had to take a nap halfway through the day but I made it to the end. Rain had stopped by the time I was ready to leave so I snapped a couple of pictures of the car. They had me between the Mustang and Corvette clubs. Guess that was to keep them from fighting too much. Guy commented on the car and told me his Mustang was probably a little faster than the Chevy. I told him that was because he didn't know the secret of the car. When I told him it had the 400 HP LS engine and Corvette suspension he just quietly sulked away. One of the Corvette guys pointed out that the Gen 2 LS was rated at 400 HP through the cats. Since this car doesn't have cats he suggested the HP was probably closer to 450 to 460. Here are the pictures.

This last picture was really cool. A lady who was taking a picture told me that if I moved over by her I could get a picture of the car and plane reflecting in the water puddle.

So I know it is not a Studebaker but it is the inspiration I am using to make my Hawk fulfill all my dreams for the car. Driving the Chevy makes me really want to get my car done. By the way my dad flew those planes back in WW2. This was the best therapy for me as I had a really tough week. How tough was it. I was too weak and fatigued to even work on the Hawk or anything else for that matter. When I told my wife that she said one word "bad".
    Dan

Comment

• I am still trying to figure out how to manage the side effects of the new cancer treatments I am on. So I am not getting much done but I am getting a lot of mental engineering and planning done. I can sit in the shop and just look around at the eight projects and make mental notes and even put some on paper. Did get the trailer winch installed for Robin. Part of my trading labor for access.

Still have some painting and welding to do but mostly complete. Just before I left last night I took the leaf springs off the Ford 9" differential we are planning to use on the Packard Hawk clone race car. It was in the 55 President when Tom got the car so we light as well use it. I have been spraying the u bolts for two weeks now and it paid off as the 1/2" gun spun the nuts right off. Took the center bolts out and separated the springs. We are going to use the main leaf to align the differential and then use dual adjustable coil over shocks for ride height and control. One of the leafs had a sticker which led me to believe it has been replaced at one point.

So a little progress but very therapeutic for me personally. Next week is a week off treatments so I hope to get more done and hoping I feel better. So as always more as it happens.
      Dan

Comment

• Progress. Tom was off work and I was feeling OK. So we met at the shop and got some work done. Five hours later Tom was happy and the front axle order was placed. Lots to be done but at least we are moving again. After Tom left and I had lunch I moved the car and installed the front nose piece. The front valance is really twisted and bent so I am going to have locate one. Looking for a NOS or good used one. 1956 to 19612 Hawk front valance needed. Hope to get up to the shop tomorrow to get more done on the front nose and start making the new bumper from fiberglass. Sorry there are only three pictures tonight as I forgot the camera. I will take more tomorrow.

Comment

• Got the nose to fit better. Had to cut some more off the fenders to make it clear. Now just have to finish the slide in part.

Took the body off the frame and set the frame up outside so it can be blasted. Going to the Donut Derelicts gathering and then to the shop to meet the blasting guy. Frame should be clean and ready for modifications by noon. More with pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• Brett came up and got the frame blasted.

With the frame done he blasted the body in the places I had asked him to. Now it has that swiss cheese look in a few places. But nothing really bad.

As I was leaving I spotted our new mascot getting ready to cross the road.

More as it happens.

Comment

• Dan, I've heard of using walnut shells for media blasting but never turtle shells!
              Bill

Comment

• Dan, is your blaster guy using the Dustless Blasting tools I see touted on My Class Car? That is what it looks like in the background of shot of the blasting.
                Ed Sallia
                Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

• Originally posted by SilverHawkDan;[1106547
                  As I was leaving I spotted our new mascot getting ready to cross the road.

More as it happens.
                  A very appropriate metaphor, with a similar possibility of consequences, but it doesn't sound like it should be quite as much of a daunting task, or provide near the same degree of satisfaction, as the one you've chosen to attempt!!! Good luck to the both of you, I'm sure you're both in all our prayers!

Mark
                  Last edited by S2Deluxe; 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM.
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

• Ed,

Yes this is the Dustless Eco-Blasting that a lot of people are talking about. I am very impressed with the work. The surface is easy to paint with just a light 400 grit hand sanding or I use a fine scotchbrite pad. Then prep solvent and then a tack rag and then primer and paint. Sure beats all the work it takes to get a smooth surface with regular blasting. I have tried other blasting methods over the years including soda blasting which I would say is the other method I would use. Walnut shells would be third. For fiberglass bodies I found that soda blasting works best. But with only one turtle in the pond I don't think we could clean much with his or hers shell. LOL Sorry Buzzard I just couldn't resist.
                    Dan

Comment

• Mark,

I like the way you think. I appreciate your praying for me. I know that is the prayers that are keeping me going. By all rights I am not supposed to be here but here I am and although this current trial is tough I know I will emerge victorious.
                      Dan

Comment

• For those who might want to know more about this method of surface preparation here is the link to the company that makes the machines.

Remove virtually any coating from any surface, with NO dust plume. Start your mobile blasting business or improve your existing one with Dustless Blasting.

Because they add a rust inhibitor tot he tank and then rinse with it the metal does not rust right away even though they are using water in the blasting tank. I have a fender that i have not had time to primer yet and it is not rusted even though it was blasted by Brett over a month ago. The rust inhibitor also has a paint adhesion additive so the surface is basically paint ready with good adhesion of the paint. They have sold machines all across America so you should be able to find someone who is using this method in your area. If not maybe its time for a new career for you.
                        Dan

Comment

• I was feeling really bad on Saturday so I didn't even take any pictures of the blasting job so here goes. The frame:

Took the frame up to Tom's house tonight and we put it on the frame jig. He will begin replacing the front cross member and installing the new suspension and straight axle. The Bod:

Tipped it up on its side today so I can carefully inspect the under side. Looks solid and the torque boxes are solid as can be. I guess all that heavy undercoating did its job.

So lots planned for this weekends work party. So more as it happens.

Comment

• Today I got the body flipped back over and set up ready for the first work crew to show up tomorrow. They will be mocking up the interior. Seat, dash, steering column so we can make the final specs for the roll cage. Hope to order it tomorrow and have it installed by the end of the month.

While they are working on the race car I will be installing the new electric parking brake in the Bel Air.

Parts showed up today. Not pictured is the seat. Really like the sprint car collapsible and adjustable steering column.

So more with pictures as it happens tomorrow.
                            Dan
                            Last edited by SilverHawkDan; 06-12-2018, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• WOW! I see it has been a month and a half since I posted here. It has been a rough time for us. My cancer is progressing and the treatments weren't working so now we are just trying to stop and control the pain the tumors are causing. Had my last radiation treatment on Monday and now just have to wait for the cooking to finish and then the healing to begin. Still fighting chronic pain but doing better little by little. So what do you do when you are in pain and not able to go to the shop and get some of the time sensitive work done? Like taking apart the engine that will serve as the back up engine for Bonneville? Why you let your wife do it. Kathy saw my frustration and she assured me that if I told her what to do she could do it. So this afternoon we went up to the shop and she got to work.
                              First she moved the engine over to her work area. Set out the tools and other things she would need.

then she got busy removing each item that I pointed out. She loves power tools so she was in heaven. Off came the heads.

next came the pan, pistons, crankshaft.

Next she took everything off the block to get it ready for the hot tank.

Then she even knocked out the soft plugs. Sure is awesome watching her work.

Task completed she loaded the block in the back of the truck and it is ready to be dropped off in the morning.

Now that this task is out of the way we hope to get started on our Hawk. We have a lot to do and we need to be moving forward. I hope that I get some pain relief because although it is fun and gratifying to watch her work it is not the same as when I am working along side her. By the way she is staying home and is now my 24/7 caregiver which is fine by me. She knows my needs and can tell when things are not right. I am not all that comfortable with having someone I don't know living with us and taking care of me. So more as it happens.

Comment

• Dan,
                                Our thoughts and prayers are with you from Canada. Hang in there! Your wife is a real trooper.
                                Bill

Comment

Working...
                                X