No announcement yet.

First Step of the New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know if you really need any more suggestions, Dan, but maybe (Bonneville Packard Hawk project) would be good?

Mark
    sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

• Picture of four of the eight cylinder heads I picked up yesterday. Will be taking them to Sacramento for porting and polishing and other modifications for the project.

More as it happens.
      Dan

Comment

• Didn't have what I needed for the Bronco so I worked on the Power Hawk. Got the theater and heater box out. Made a plate to cover the hole. Just have to install the seat now.

Cleaned up the Chevy intake manifold. Got it marked and started making the cuts. Things were going good but I got tired and let the saw slip and killed my last long blade. So I had to stop for today and go blade shopping. So tomorrow I will finish the cuts and get things cleaned up and ready for paint. Maybe even git it installed this weekend.

More as it happens.
        Dan

Comment

• Got the manifold cut today. Ground it down to make it look better. Tapped all the holes. Cleaned all the mating surfaces. Ready for paint. Hope to get it installed this week and do performance tests this weekend to compare to factory manifold.

More as it happens.
          Dan

Comment

• So do you have to overcome inertia or get psyched up to do something like saw away on that manifold? Is it a little white knuckle going while you do it? Sometimes I miss the temerity of my youth. But not much since it can get you into too much trouble.
            1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
            1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
            1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
            1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
            1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
            1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

• Doug,

Actually it was easy. The hard part was marking it to make sure I didn't accidently cut off something I needed. Marked it top and bottom to be sure. The manifold was free and they are a dime a dozen in that model so I wasn't that worried. If I was cutting one of the late model expensive ones it might be a little more nerve wracking. Cutting it reminded me of my youth (that was a long time ago) when I used to cut down the Chevies with my Studebaker's and then my Mopars. Best ever was when we brought out the Max Wedge Plymouth Savoy and then the ultimate brand X killer the Hemi cars. So now a Chevy part dies so that a Studebaker can find new youth.
              Dan

Comment

• Oooo, even if it's of topic, I wanna read about that Savoy... Please?

Comment

• Got the manifold painted. Got out the plates from Jon Kammer and installed them n the 289. Then installed the manifold.

These are the pieces that got cut off. I will be providing measurements from the valley cover to the air horn on the stock and this manifold for a real life comparison. Hope to have it installed and running this weekend. And if all goes right make the acceleration tests too. More as it happens.
                  Dan

Comment

• OK Nox off topic or not the story is my dad and adopted uncle bought a 1963 Plymouth Savoy Max Wedge car. It had the optional 13 to 1 compression High Performance engine. There were stickers all over the car that warned that the car was not designed for daily street driving. Should only be used in supervised acceleration events. Car ran in the 12's in showroom stock condition. Slicks dropped it into the low twelves. Tuning and jetting and some suspension mods (pinion snubber) got it into the high 11's. Bigger and better slicks and some trial and error we got it into the low 11's. Then things got weird and the car ended up with a 383 and became a driver. Got wrecked and then I lost track of it. I had the engine until the late eighties when family pressures forced the sale of the engine and one of the saddest days of my life. And now you know the rest of the story. If I ever come into money that will be the first car I reproduce. I know where and engine compete is so all I need is a few (lots) bucks.
                    Dan

Comment

• Okidoki Dan, thanx! I've also had my early 60's MoPars & the feeling of a (some -62's for me) well prepaierd 413 is rather... eh nice!
                      Back to reality.
                      (I think I have a knock'n sound in my engine... )

Comment

• A knock'n sound is not good. I hope it is something simple. You have put a lot of work into that project and a set back is not what you need. Let us know what you find.
                        Dan

Comment

• Thanx & yes, it's hard to hear with only headers but I think there might be something on the left side, so I reckon a piston bolt.

Comment

• So this is what I brought to the shop yesterday from Anaheim. On loan from Brian of Australia so we can see how these cars were put together and fab all the brackets and such we will need. Will also use the fenders as models to modify our Golden Hawk fenders for the front nose piece. Thank you Brain for loaning this to us. It is going to save us a lot of hours of guess work.

Hope to get it off the trailer and in the shop in the morning. Then get the nose off of it to see how it all goes together. More with pictures as it happens.
                            Dan

Comment

• No problem Dan, and thanks for hauling that Corvette shell down to Stanton for me !
                              I am getting prices now to freight the damaged hood that you can use on your project, I will let you know.
                              Brian Greenall
                              Melbourne, OZ
                              sigpic

Comment

• Today was shuffle day. Moved everything but the Bronco to make room for the Packard Hawk. Got it off the trailer and parked where I want it.

Since the grandson was there I had him take all the brake shoes off the hawk. He got a lesson in brake drum and shoe removal. Good student.

Things in front went as expected but the rear was weird. The drivers side drum popped when I was tightening the puller. Didn't need to even beat on it once. The passenger side had a hub and slide on drum set up with no finned drum. Did not look Stude to me but what do I know.

So all the brake shoes are off the car it is ready to go to Australia when we are finished with it. I took some time to get familiar with the car and noticed the fan was on backwards.

That kind of stuff bugs me so I turned it around to correct the issue. While I had the fan off I put a socket on the crank bolt and it turned over real free and smooth. Makes me wonder, does it run? So I changed out the burned up battery cables and put a battery in it. Turned over smooth and quiet and a quick glance showed 40 psi oil pressure. So now the question is, does it run?
                                Before I left I took this cool picture from a ladder in the corner of the shop. Coolness factor times 10 plus. I might have this one blown up and framed to hang int he shop.

So Monday is Bronco day but Tuesday I hope to get back on my stuff. More as it happens.

Comment

Working...
                                X