No announcement yet.

First Step of the New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure did. Thanks for the re-take and looks good too.

Comment

Our newly formed racing team is looking for a standard bore block that does not need to be bored out. Little to no taper. A set of four blot main caps. Also looking for one of those NOS 259 crankshafts that have been floating around for years now. Also looking for a Kinsler, Hilborn, Enderle mechanical fuel injection set up for small block Chevy. Richmond or Jerico five speed transmission. If you know where we might purchase any of these items please let me know.
      Dan

Comment

I thought some of you might like the picture I took with my cell on Friday afternoon.

Took the Corvette and the Bel Aire to the local car show today. Corvette was part of the local Chevy dealer display. They parked it next to a 2017 model to highlight the differences. Funny part was the 54 had people around it all day and not so much for the new one.

Guy wanted picture of the 56 sitting next to his 55 T-Bird that had just won best T-Bird award.

This 1934 Plymouth was my pick for the best of show. Sadly there was not one Studebaker at the show but next year I will work to fix that.

Small car show and the judging is done by the participants not volunteer or hired judges. Judged by your peers. I agreed with just about very pick.
        Dan

Comment

Just got back from a two day road trip. Team meeting and then picked up the transmission for the Hawk. Got a sweet deal on the transmission with shifter. One more piece which gets us that much closer to having everything we need to get started in October. Got the fuel injection system in make a deal mode. Closed the deal on two (2) Pro Chargers with extras. Need to make a road trip to Sacramento to get the engine build started. Also need to get the crank drive for the blower. This project is coming together really well and feels like it is meant to be.

Does anyone have one of those 259 NOS crankshafts that have been floating around for years? Would like to find one. Also need a block that is still standard bore and not in need of boring out. Anyone have or know who has these items?
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
            Just got back from a two day road trip. Team meeting and then picked up the transmission for the Hawk. Got a sweet deal on the transmission with shifter. One more piece which gets us that much closer to having everything we need to get started in October. Got the fuel injection system in make a deal mode. Closed the deal on two (2) Pro Chargers with extras. Need to make a road trip to Sacramento to get the engine build started. Also need to get the crank drive for the blower. This project is coming together really well and feels like it is meant to be.

Does anyone have one of those 259 NOS crankshafts that have been floating around for years? Would like to find one. Also need a block that is still standard bore and not in need of boring out. Anyone have or know who has these items?
            Dan
            We've got NOS 259 cranks, but you may find one closer than Florida. We'd be happy to ship one either way.

Comment

Dan, Best to get a 232 block and bore it out to 259 size. That way you will get a nice round bore.

Comment

Alan,
                Grat idea. Now why didn't I think of that. I will check with Ed as he had several of them last time I visited him. I was in La Habra on Thursday night but by the time I was done picking up the transmission it was after eight and I didn't want to come by that late. I am planning a trip to Clay Smith Cams and then to Norco so I will try to get by to see you and your projects.
                Dan

Comment

Ya Florida might be too expensive. I wonder if Greyhound would ship it for us. How much are you asking for them? I will keep you in mind and if nothing pops up closer I will let you know. Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I think the last one of these cranks I bought was from Virginia. I will look and see how much it cost to ship it out here.
                  Dan

Comment

Well after I met with the cardiologist I decided that if he wasn't overly worried about the fluid around my lung I would go to the shop and get some work done. I missed four days of working after my oncologist called all excited about the amount of fluid around my heart. So I got the fuel tank our of the Hawk as it is not good enough to hold fuel. That gave me access for bolts to mount the temporary gas tank. I installed the marine tank and mde wure it is secured to the trunk floor.

I still need to get some gas hose to hook it up. Moved on to the exhaust leaks. I thought the flange gaskets might be blown out but no:

The pipes are just worn thin. Tried to fix one but not going to happen. Took them over to my buddies muffler shop and he will make me some new pipes and supply some flanges. Then I will weld it all up and make it quiet. Tomorrow is chemo day but Thursday I hope to remove the front seat and work on the dash gauges and wiring.
                    Dan

Comment

I agree with Alan on most everything Studebaker Racing related, but JMHO, no way would I build a max effort 259" on a bored 232" block. This usually gets by on a stock build, but thin cylinder walls and high boost pressure are not for Bonneville.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Jack, I thought Studebaker used the same block for all the V8s. If this is true, why would boring a 232" to 259" specs make the cylinder walls any thinner than on a stock 259"?
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I have bored many 232 blocks out to 3 9/16" and 3 5/8" and run them with no problems. But there is always one and you would be stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                            Ya Florida might be too expensive. I wonder if Greyhound would ship it for us. How much are you asking for them? I will keep you in mind and if nothing pops up closer I will let you know. Thank you for replying to my inquiry. I think the last one of these cranks I bought was from Virginia. I will look and see how much it cost to ship it out here.
                            Dan
                            If you're thinking of using an Over bored 232" Block, why not use the 232" Crank as well? If it has a good Crank, there isn't any reason it wouldn't be adequate, is there?

Mark
                            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

So with only four days left before shoulder surgery I had to get some work done. The following pictures tell the story. I had to wait until late this afternoon before working as it was too hot. When I left tonight after 9 PM it was still 79 degrees outside. Deck lids swapped out (temporary) and modifications done to the rough one. Air pressure test fitting installed. Hood prop rod fabricated with spring. New throttle linkage arm to allow chevy carb to come all the way down to idle. Tachometer installed with shift light. No I did not cut the dash. Removed less than 1/16" of material from overlay to make it fit. Air pressure test gauge installed but need to fabricate a holder for it. Changed the oil and put it back on the ground. Next it goes to the muffler shop for the new head pipes. Then in a month when I am able to drive again I will begin the aero testing per our engineer Andy's instructions. So there will be a break but I will be back with more on this exciting project. 210 MPH in 2018.
                              Dan

Comment

Another piece of the puzzle showed up yesterday. Got the right one for the job. Our tuner guy used this type injection on his Bonneville car.

Adapter plates should be here next week. Gathering parts while I heal up from my shoulder surgery.
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X