No announcement yet.

First Step of the New Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would use a fiberglass replacement hood. That way any scoop configuration is easily accomplished and you don't cut up a serviceable steel hood. I have slit many hubs on my Superlark years ago by having a lubricant on the taper. For the record, I split a hub on my buddies 426 Hemi powered 63 Plymouth as well by not installing it dry. The problem surfaces when you start sticking the tires and the hub experiences the applied torque.
    If this will be a gas coupe class car, not a production class, The hawk trunk lid lends itself to a spoiler much better than a 53/55 coupe trunk lid. If speeds of near 200 are expected, consider rectangular vent tubes between the panel behind the rear window to the floorpan over the rear axle. Without those vent tubes, the rear will raise off the ground at 200. You must vent the high pressure under the car at the rear axle to the low pressure at the base of the rear window.
    Nice car though. I love 56 Power Hawks.
    james r pepper

Comment

Pictures from today's "Day of Discovery". Our Project Manager installed the SBC to Studebaker plates we purchased from Jon Kammer. They are great and fit like a glove. Next he put the Kinsler fuel injection set up on. It will help us reach our goal of 230+ mph. The black top plate has a long and colorful Bonneville history. Tom dug out some old dry sump oil pans that had seen action on the salt. He plans to graft one of them to a Studebaker pan for our dry sump system. Great fabricator and so glad he is our project manager. I will post more as it happens.

Comment

James,
        I have not been able to locate a source for fiberglass Hawk hoods. Do you know of one? The car is being built for the Production class so a Hawk deck lid will be mandatory. Working with S.C.T.A. on an alternate method of venting the air at the rear of the car. Former crew member for Terry Hunt (the Guam Bomb) is our Project Manager. He was schooled by Terry on all things Studebaker and Bonneville. Very blessed to have him working on this build.

Comment

Good luck with your project! I'll be watching for updates

Comment

I don't know much about this so I'm just thinking & hoping I don't sound totally mad, but when it comes to ventilating the rear inside / trunk of the car:
            How about having louvers at the outside rear of the fenders, like the fake louvers on the "finned" Hawks but lower down?
            Or otherwise; open a split at the top of ther ear ribbed panel, then it wouldn't be so obvious?
            Just my own thoughts...

Comment

'Just checked in on this project, Dan. What a great build and all the interesting things you've encountered. Thanks for the rolling progress. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob and Nox welcome aboard. I have some good news for all the people who were not happy "The Power Hawk will NOT be turned into a race car". Going hardtop with a window fix from the famous Studebaker record holder and all around good guy Terry Hunt who raced the Guam Bomb to record speeds. Although it will not be turned into a race car it will undergo some changes and will end up one of the most beautiful and unique Studebakers you have ever seen. So much is happening with no time right now to share but I promise a full report as soon as I can get things sorted out here.
                Dan

Comment

Lumpy,
                  Thanks for the encouragement and thanks for following us. If you want to join the party even for a day or weekend let me know. This is being done as a team effort and all are invited.
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
                    Bob and Nox welcome aboard. I have some good news for all the people who were not happy "The Power Hawk will NOT be turned into a race car". Going hardtop with a window fix from the famous Studebaker record holder and all around good guy Terry Hunt who raced the Guam Bomb to record speeds. Although it will not be turned into a race car it will undergo some changes and will end up one of the most beautiful and unique Studebakers you have ever seen. So much is happening with no time right now to share but I promise a full report as soon as I can get things sorted out here.
                    Dan
                    Dan, your brothers, Ed and Bill are delighted about the Power Hawk. I'd buy it off you as is if you were willing.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

It's mine now and I have a big plan for it. So it is not for sale. I think everyone will love what I plan to do with it. It will be my one of a kind creation.
                      Dan

Comment

From what I've seen so far from your stuff I trust you...!

Comment

Nox,

Thank you for that compliment. At my age I am trying to make my last project the dream and vision I have had since the 1960's. I was inspired by George Barris watching him work his magic as a young and man and teen. I am building what I consider a tribute to him and his genius.
                          Dan

Comment

That SURE impresses me as I always had a soft spot for customs!
                            (Josephine's gonna get her face done too)
                            I just saved a 53-54 custom front from being originalized by trading it for a friend who's car I'm working on, so he got the original stuff & another guy got the custom front.

Comment

Picked up the manifold that will be modified to make it fit the Studebaker engine.

Need to remove the water passages to clear the distributor and oil fill pipe. Plus it will make it look like it belongs. Plan to get the Hawk brakes and lighting fixed this week so the first of the aero tests can be performed. Will include acceleration tests in the first runs. Then swap out the intake manifolds and rerun the tests. Then change the carburetor and rerun the tests again. Should be able to provide a real world record of how much improvement the Jon Kammer intake manifold plates make on a stock 259 engine.

Also got the shocks for the 1956 Bel Air. Man these things are amazing and look like a work of art not shocks. QA1 dual adjustable (compression and rebound) shocks, Hypercoil composite springs which are fully adjustable. This allows for the factory fiberglass leaf springs to be removed and not have to worry about them cracking and breaking. This should be a huge improvement in the ride and handling of the car. Can't wait to get them on the car. Hope to install them on Thursday.

As always more as it happens.
                              Dan

Comment

It has been awhile. I got sick from chemo and then just as I got feeling better we decided to not cancel our long planned trip to the Pacific Northwest. Because of health issues my wife had to drive most of the 3000 miles we covered. I owe her big time for that. Stopped by my brother Bill's house and got to see up close his new purchased 1957 Golden Hawk. Cool car and it runs great. Talked cars and bench raced for a whole night. He and I used to drag race at Lions in the 70's and I even let him drive the Deceptive Lark down the track when he was only 14. Why not I was that age when I first raced at San Fernando Drag Strip.

Left Washington and headed to Oregon to my older brothers house. Had a good visit and picked up the short block I had purchased from an SDC guy in Portland. He delivered it to my brothers house. Here are some pics of the crate the engine was in:

Here is the label that was inside the crate:

And some inside the magic box pics:

It is obvious that some critters called this home at one time. Some wood rot but not bad overall. The packing label will go in the build book and the crate will become wall art for my brother and me.

Now for what was inside the magic box. It was a brand new 232 short block. We thought it might have been a factory rebuilt block as the pistons were marked 1-3-5-7- and 2-4-6-8 and a line and under the line was the number 30. That led us to believe it might have been bored out .030. When I dropped it off at the machine shop in Sacramento they put a mic to it and it is 3 3/8" which is standard for a 232. It was cool to see that the crankshaft main bolts were drilled and safety wired by the factory. This block will serve as the foundation of one of the two engines we will be using next year at Bonneville and El Mirage. It will end up somewhere between 232 and 259 depending on the sonic testing. Plans call for 30 pounds of boost so it will have to be solid. The best part about this block is no rust thinning to worry about. More as it happens.
                                Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X