Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First Step of the New Project

Speedster Member
    Say Dan— I just noticed the Packard Hawk you are borrowing appears to have the wrong fins on it. Those appear to be ‘57-‘58 Silver Hawk fins... don’t know if anyone had noticed that yet... but I believe they can be trimmed at the leading end to the right shape (assuming one has a template from a Golden Hawk to use).
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1970 Avanti

Good spot Ken!
    Yeah the old guy I had bought the PH from wrecked out a 57 Silver Hawk and installed the fins from it on the PH. I don't know why!
    No stress on the fins/ correct mouldings, I have a few in stock, they will be put back to original when the restoration starts.
    Say Dan, give it a kick in the guts and see if it goes? Probably bad fuel in the tank though!
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Sure wish I had a shop like that.
    I especially like the 62 Corvair convertible.
    Any chance it's a Spyder?

I also noticed the fins but I fancy those more than the "correct" ones...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Brian are the fins that are inside the car the correct ones?

TWChamp the Corvair is a Monza according to the emblem I don't see a Spyder emblem anywhere.

I notice two things looking at that picture. The newest vehicle is the 1967 Bronco. This picture shows that I am working on eight (8) projects at one time. I am violating my rule times 6. Malibu is just about done now that I found my top dead center locating tool. The Corvair runs but has a fuel pump leak. New pump on the way. The Packard Hawk is for modeling but I might get it running just for kicks. With no brakes it won't see any roads even our private one. The 55 President is waiting on the media blaster guy to come up and make it pretty. The Bel Air is waiting on parts to install a parking brake system. And my frame is waiting on me to finish the welding and get it in primer. The Power Hawk will get the new intake manifold with adapter plates installed this week. Fun stuff and work but to me it is all play time. Yes, I agree I am so blessed to have a friend like Robin who actually loves having all this action happening. Although three of the cars are his and the Bel Air is his father-in-laws car.
    Dan

I just reviewed the post and realized I forgot the car show pictures. Since the Packard Hawk was still on the trailer Saturday morning I decided to share it with our local group of car people. Every Saturday weather permitting people gather in a local parking lot to show and share. You see everything from new cars with paper plates to full on race cars. So I took the Hawk. People loved it or hated it, to each his own and most have never seen one. Glad I took it over there. Was a lite turnout as the garage tour was last weekend so maybe before I take it back down South I will take it out there again.

The truck next ot it in the second photo was selling two engines. The one in the truck bed was a 215 Dodge truck Hemi engine 1952 vintage. The engine in the trailer was a flat head engine. Both had the transmission attached. Like I said you see everything at the Donut Derelicts gatherings.

Learning every day, I tought Dodge's first Hemi was the 241 in -53, little did I know!
    There was probably never a Dodge Hemi that early & small imported to Sweden.
    Got to google the horse power now...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverHawkDan View Post
    * The one in the truck bed was a 215 Dodge truck Hemi engine 1952 vintage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxnabaker View Post
    Learning every day, I tought Dodge's first Hemi was the 241 in -53, little did I know!
    There was probably never a Dodge Hemi that early & small imported to Sweden.
    Got to google the horse power now...
    I think Dan must have made a typo there? When I googled it, I was able to find references to 51 - 55 241"s and 56 -59 315"s, but nothing regarding any 215.

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Hmmm... no matter how I try I can only find info on Dodge Hemi from -53 & it's the 241 I had as a teen & put in my -62 Valiant.

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

President Member
    I put a 392 Hemi in a 60 Plymouth Fury 4 door hard top sometime around '65.

Mark and Nox,
    I looked it up to and it would appear I mis heard what the guy said or he doesn't know what he has. I am pretty sure he said 1952 so that would make it to early for a 315. So I guess if someone is interested in knowing more or buying it I can call him. I put the early Chrysler, Dodge and Desoto hemi's in a lot of cars and trucks. Best was a clean 1953 Ford f1 that really hauled but looked stock.
    Dan

Trying to get an idea of how the Packard Hawk will look at Bonneville height. Even with the tires off it still is not as low as we plan to run it. SO I need to figure out another way to set it up so that the desired height can be achieved. Looks pretty cool though lowered.

More as it happens.
    Dan

Brian,

Turn up your speakers and take this in. It is a great sound. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Z73_GWHhUr4

President Member Commander Eddie's Avatar
    Dan, that sounds really nice. Very smooth with just the right exhaust note. I like it!
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Sweeter than wine...

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Dan - What sort of condition is the top, rear stainless on the Power Hawk in? Are you still planning to sell it, or has it already been sold?...
    Last edited by 345 DeSoto; 01-16-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Speedster Member
    Trying to get an idea of how the Packard Hawk will look at Bonneville height. Even with the tires off it still is not as low as we plan to run it. SO I need to figure out another way to set it up so that the desired height can be achieved. Looks pretty cool though lowered.
    Dan, there's something I'm not seeing in any of these pictures. Isn't there supposed to be a lower air deflector on this car? It would have a lower appearance, in the front at least, if there was one. Do the rules allow you to use anything other than a stock piece there? Raising up the back end some, would also lower the front more and allow air to escape from the rear. Isn't that your plan?

Mark

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

President Member
    Today was shuffle day. Moved everything but the Bronco to make room for the Packard Hawk. Got it off the trailer and parked where I want it.

Since the grandson was there I had him take all the brake shoes off the hawk. He got a lesson in brake drum and shoe removal. Good student.

Things in front went as expected but the rear was weird. The drivers side drum popped when I was tightening the puller. Didn't need to even beat on it once. The passenger side had a hub and slide on drum set up with no finned drum. Did not look Stude to me but what do I know.

So all the brake shoes are off the car it is ready to go to Australia when we are finished with it. I took some time to get familiar with the car and noticed the fan was on backwards.

That kind of stuff bugs me so I turned it around to correct the issue. While I had the fan off I put a socket on the crank bolt and it turned over real free and smooth. Makes me wonder, does it run? So I changed out the burned up battery cables and put a battery in it. Turned over smooth and quiet and a quick glance showed 40 psi oil pressure. So now the question is, does it run?
    Before I left I took this cool picture from a ladder in the corner of the shop. Coolness factor times 10 plus. I might have this one blown up and framed to hang int he shop.

So Monday is Bronco day but Tuesday I hope to get back on my stuff. More as it happens.
    Dan , Please do not let your grandson work on the brakes without an asbestos filter.
    You have no idea what asbestos will do to his lungs.
    I hope others with asbestos related breathings problems will pipe up.
    Robert Kapteyn

Good call Robert. It has been so long since I worked around the stuff it just slipped my ,ind. The good thing is we didn't really encounter dust as things were clean like someone had inspected the brakes. But excellent advice. Thank you.
    Dan

So things are progressing here. One of our team members, Andy, drove up from Palmdale this past weekend and we spent two days getting some work done. We got the front nose off the Packard hawk to see how it is attached to the frame and fenders. Figured out how to fabricate a mounting that will allow for it to slip on and be pinned. Then took the Golden Hawk fenders and modified them to match the Packard Hawk. Removed the core support to allow for measurements for the coming modifications. Found the front valance had taken a big hit or two. Too a few minutes to see how easy it might be to straighten it out. Not bad so an hours work it could be made like new. Got the welds cut off and removed the fins from the Packard. We will be modifying them to match the Packard fins.

Day two saw Andy get the President race car body stripped of all brackets and trim. Piled up all the sheet metal so all is ready for the media blasting guy who is coming on Friday to clean it all up. Hardest part was removing the door hinges. Heat and PB Blaster got the job done along with the impact hammer of course. Andy brought up some tools and parts for the car so I need to look them over and decide what can be used for the project. Andy and I took another shot at removing the pistons from the 289 Avanti engine that Dave Bloomberg donated. It has been soaking in Marvel Oil for two months. Yep it worked, all the pistons are out and the crank and cam removed. This block will serve as our foundation for the "C" engine build in 2020. So it was a good two days. More as it happens.
    Dan

Just found out we are now in need of two (2) front valance panels for a 1953 to 1955 Commander or Champion. I am no expert so I am not sure how many applications used the same valance panel so maybe someone here can help me out with that info. We are going to be using one of them on the Packard Hawk race car. The other is for a 1953 Champion. SO if you have what we need let me know. Would of course prefer something here in California. North would be great as I am planning a trip to Sacramento to the engine builders so I can fit it in my travels.
    Dan

Dan, do you have repair and parts manuals for these cars?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Ed,
    No I do not. That is why I was asking here. I figure someone has BTDT. I found one today and will go by and see it tomorrow or Monday. It is supposed to be in good condition. Still need one for Toms car.
    Dan

I'll be watching closely, Dan!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Chris,

Welcome to the build site. You planning to go to Bonneville in September? If so we would welcome you to our team as a crew member and if you wanted a job to oversee we can arrange that too. We are a bunch of guys and gals who are looking to have fun and hopefully go fast.
    Dan

No can do, Dan. But keep an eye out for a guy named Roy from our chapter who is a course steward during Speedweek. He'll be looking for you, too.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Got some automotive jewelry in the mail today. Ken Evans four bolt main caps. That should help hold the 20 pounds of boost we are planning on applying to the Stude engine.

The one thing you cannot do when building a maximum performance Stude engine is be a CASO. SO progress is being made. Need to make a trip to Sacramento to the machine shop to drop these of and pick up a bunch of Alston Engineering stuff.
    More as it happens.

Finally got a break in the weather and got some media blasting done. Four fins and two fenders and then it started raining again. I really like this new method. Paint ready with no having to sand before hand. No danger of warping the metal as it is delivered with water so not heat. I had him not spend too much time on the insides except where repairs will be done. This guy does nice work.

More as it happens.

Picked up the 3 5/8" stroke crankshaft today. Had the machine shop clean and polish it. It mic's at .001 under which is what I requested. Ready to go to work.

Got the Corvair, both Hawks and the Bronco covered so I am ready, if the weather is as predicted, to spray the primer on the parts that got blasted.

Moving forward a day at a time. Starting to feel good and it will last this week then another chemo next week. Got to get as much done as I can while I am feeling up to it. So more as it happens.

Dan, is that the crank from the engine you picked up here in Oregon?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Champion Member
    Ed
    3 5/8 stroke I think would be for a 289.
    57 Golden Hawk

Dan, I have found that all you can do is all you can do. Take it and work on stuff when you can. I am still loving following the projects you are working on. Thanks for keeping us up to date.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Ed,
    No this is the crank I Andy and I took out of the engine Dave Bloomberg gave us. It was the 289 that was in his dad's Avanti. Yes a 3 5/8" stroke is a 289 crank. The crank that was in the 232 I picked up from you is at the machine shop in Woodburn waiting to go back in the block after the four bolt mains are installed.
    Dan

Joe,

You are right on that one. It is so therapeutic to go to the barn and get lost in my projects. Makes me glad I have some many right now. If I hit a road block or an't concentrate I go to something simple and press on. I think one of the reasons I have been so successful in my 12+ year battle with the beast is because of my escape hatch of projects. I can be totally worn out and if I force myself to go to the barn it is not long before I forget I was tired. With the camper parked there it is easy to catch a nap if needed and sometimes I just sit in my chair and rest. Takes me longer now days but who's in a hurry? I am glad that the effort I take to take pictures and post here is a blessing to people. Why should I be the only one that is blessed? Thanks for the encouragement.
    Dan

What you're doing impresses me too Dan & pictures also helps!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

OK I finally got to work on the "Catfish" Packard Hawk. I spent most of the day helping Robin install and then remove the engine from the Bronco. We needed to make sure that everything fits and we ended up making the shifter hole bigger. The shifter was hitting the floor when you went for second gear. Made sure the engine mounts I made fit right and everything had clearance. This Coyote engine is a tight fit in a 1969 Bronco. But the good news is that it does now fit.

After finishing with the Bronco I finished drilling out the seven broken bolts in the door hinge plates. Tried everything I know to get them out but not this time. So I drilled them out and then ran the tap through them to remove the old bolts. Took out a Bearclaw latch I have and set it in place and it will work great and fit nicely.

Robin helped me move the gantry crane over one bay so I could lift the body up. Raised it up for a close inspection and evaluation. It is heavily undercoated but that is no problem. It will stay in place and we will work around it. It should provide some protection against the salt. Set it on the heavy duty saw horses and got to work. Made the six pins that will serve as locating pins for the back of the fenders. After the frame is in place I will make the front fender mounts and they will be a simple lift off fender.

I hope to start on the brackets for mounting the front nose piece together. The a slide in system will be put in place. This way the front nose piece is slid off the car. Then the fenders are removed. Now all work that is needed is so much easier. Access is everything in racing. We are also making the doors both swing out and lift off to make it easier when working on the car. It was a good day as it seems we are getting closer to figuring out my new meds. My shingles came back and we are figuring out what meds work and still allow me to do my "therapy" at the barn. We are very close as I had no issues except mild pain. So more as it happens with pictures.

Cool! I have a question thou: why the grey primer "X"es on the plating?
    Oh, & also; any pictures of some of the 6 pins?
    This sure is interesting stuff!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan

Dan, was that your Power Hawk I saw in some pictures posted of the Studebaker show in Northridge?
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Nox,
    The primer is marking the areas that I want the media blaster guy to work on. Not having the whole car done as it is not needed as it is a race car. If you look at the front view photo you will see the six pins. Basically a 5/16" bolt with a fender washer and nut and the head of the bolt cut off and the top rounded. There are plates of sheet metal that go on both sides of the fender bracket that is usually bolted to the body. They have a 5/16" hole in them and when the fenders are put in place we will mark and pin them so that the pins in the body will bring the fender into alignment in the back. The front is a bracket with two Dzus fasteners.

Ed,
    Yes, that was the Hawk. I drove down early morning and back that evening. I won the "Longest Distance" award. LOL. I got a lot of positive comments on the front grille modification. In fact several people said "now that is how they should have made them". No negative comments but they might have been keeping them to themselves. Hope to have the hood finished and the fins installed by May for the La Palma meet.

Aha & ok Dan!
    I missread it at first, thought it was 6 pins to hold the rear fenders, "silly me" as the English says...
    I also thought about this system because I've had & also worked on Citroen ID/DS, check out their system; the rear fender hangs on 2 pins in the front + a top rail & holds in place by one (1!) bolt at the rear.
    The front fenders also hangs on 2 pins by the door pillar but then there's 3 (if I remember right) to hold it at the front.
    & the door hinges... the same as on my AMI6/daily driver, such a sweet system!

Josephine
    Champion V8
    4d sedan