Disc Brake Wheels - Picture Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 53k View Post
    You're right. I can't imagine how I had a standard wheel on my Wagonaire or even how I had such a wheel.
    Paul your 2nd wheel looks to be Chrysler or Dodge they have that heavy center ring like yours does.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Scott : Could you email me at not4u@nlis.ca I have a question to ask you about your cars .

Terry

Comment

Terry,

Will Do.
        Scott Rodgers
        Los Angeles
        SDC Member since 1989
        \'60 Lark HT
        \'63 Wagonaire
        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Do the Avanti 5" wide rims in 1963 have the groove to clear the calipers?

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
            Do the Avanti 5" wide rims in 1963 have the groove to clear the calipers?
            Yes Bob, my car rides on 5" wide Avanti Wheels, which is pictured in post #5.
            Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
            \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I think those of us who have been there, done that with dozens of Post war Studes. do know that ALL of the data in the posts above is pretty much well intended guesses.

You do NOT necessarily HAVE TO have the "Double Hump" wheels which by the way were ONLY used on 1964's, to clear your Disc Brakes.

I have said this MANY, Many times here before, but I do realize that everyone is not here at the correct time to see them all.

What you are looking at in the Photos of the "so called Disc Brake Wheel" is a '64 Kelsey Hayes (Div. of GM) type wheel, which does have SLIGHTLY more clearance in the rear than the '63 Budd Wheel, but do not forget that many original '63 Cars had Disc Brakes and Budd Wheels with nice looking smooth centers, not ugly double hump ones and cleared just fine.

Most or ALL Canadian '65-'66 Disc Brake Cars have Budd Wheels, NOT Kelsey Hayes double hump wheels, and work just fine.

Are there SOME '59-'62 Budd wheels that LOOK exactly the same as '63 Budd wheels that DO clear, that do have too little rear clearance for Discs?
              MAYBE, I do not know the clear answer to that one.

Below is a Original Silver '61 Lark 4 1/2 Inch X15 Budd Wheel that looks just like the '63 Disc Brake Budd wheels.
              Are their rear offsets EXACTLY the same as a '63 non-Disc Wheel or even a '63 Budd Disc Wheel?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2096.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1713857 (Click it, one or two times!)

The ONLY Stude. Wheels that I know for sure DO NOT clear Disc Brakes, are the '51 to '57, 5 Inch X15" wheels with the 3 Hub Cap Clip rectangular Holes.
              These will turn about a 1/4 Turn and CRASH and lock Hard!
              Last edited by StudeRich; 05-26-2017, 10:37 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, maybe I am reading your second sentence wrong but the double hump wheels (shown in posts 2, 5, 7) were available in 1963 for the Lark/Hawk (4 1/2 in wide) and for the Avanti (5 in wide).

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                  Rich, maybe I am reading your second sentence wrong but the double hump wheels (shown in posts 2, 5, 7) were available in 1963 for the Lark/Hawk (4 1/2 in wide) and for the Avanti (5 in wide).
                  I agree with this. I have worked on many in the 1960s-1970s when they still had their original wheels. I also bought a 1963 Daytona Wagonaire with disc brakes from the original owner in about 1971 and it had the "double bump" wheels.

EDIT: I will add the quote (StudeRich) being discussed; "You do NOT necessarily HAVE TO have the "Double Hump" wheels which by the way were ONLY used on 1964's, to clear your Disc Brakes. "
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

OK fine, the Kelsey Hayes Disc Brake wheels could have been on some '63's that I did not own, but the point is you do NOT need them for Disc Brakes, you can use some Budd Wheels, I am not sure about ALL Budd Wheels, the year probably does matter.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can use the 1964 up wheels on all disk brake and non disk brake cars.
                      The double hump wheels were 1963 only.

Comment

What is is the best/easiest way to identify 64 and up wheels?
                        Scott Rodgers
                        Los Angeles
                        SDC Member since 1989
                        \'60 Lark HT
                        \'63 Wagonaire
                        \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

The Pictures here on Post # 2, 5 and 7 clearly show the unusual shape of the Center, the ridge or hump just outside of the the Hub Cap Bumps is the major way you identify a Kelsey Hayes later Disc style Studebaker 4 1/2 X 15 Wheel.

Most Studebakers have Budd Wheels like the much better looking '61 shown in Post #21, some years of these also fit the Factory '63-'66 Studebaker, Dunlop/Bendix Disc Brake Setup.

Note that they are NOT '64 and up, they are '64 and a few '63 ONLY.
                          Last edited by StudeRich; 05-28-2017, 09:47 AM.
                          StudeRich
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To add a little more to the confusion, a service letter was issued in late 65 stating that all wheels going forward would be 5" wide. I gave the letter to Bob Palma
                            james r pepper

Comment

Back in 1974 I bought 5 wheels in a junk yard off Ramblers. I don't remember what models they came off. They worked great on my Avanti for years. Later they were on my 64.Daytona convertible with disk brakes.

Denny L

Comment

Working...
                              X