Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Packard 352 V8

  1. #1
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sunderland, MA
    Posts
    104

    Packard 352 V8

    A friend is downsizing collection, has an excellent running, refreshed '55 Packard 352, dual quad, complete with a Ford truck 3-sp available. It's in western MA.
    Toby Knoll Garage
    ______

    '51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica


  2. #2
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA, USA.
    Posts
    7,387
    Have him PM me with a photo, contact info and asking.

    jack vines
    PackardV8

  3. #3
    Silver Hawk Member JoeHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    5,352
    Jack,
    I bet you are mainly after that dual quad

  4. #4
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sunderland, MA
    Posts
    104
    The transmission came from a '80's Ford 2WD with
    a 429 engine. It's a 4 speed with 4th being O.D.

    Contact: bassett@facil.umass.edu Tom

    Asking $3500

















    Toby Knoll Garage
    ______

    '51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica


  5. #5
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Prague, MN, .
    Posts
    1,990
    That is a great transmission option along with the dual carb 352. I bet it would really fly. Cheap price too considering everything

  6. #6
    Silver Hawk Member JoeHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by 58PackardWagon View Post
    That is a great transmission option along with the dual carb 352. I bet it would really fly. Cheap price too considering everything
    Too bad its a 55 motor, which has lower compression, less HP, weaker main bearing caps, earlier oiling system, etc..

  7. #7
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sunderland, MA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHall View Post
    Too bad its a 55 motor, which has lower compression, less HP, weaker main bearing caps, earlier oiling system, etc..
    If you are referring to the '56 374 motor, yes, you are right, but the '56 352 was the same as the '55, same HP.
    Toby Knoll Garage
    ______

    '51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica


  8. #8
    Silver Hawk Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Spokane, WA, USA.
    Posts
    7,387
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteson View Post
    If you are referring to the '56 374 motor, yes, you are right, but the '56 352 was the same as the '55, same HP.
    I'm with Joe on this one. It's not possible to directly compare the '55 352" 260 hp Caribbean with the '56 374" 310 hp Caribbean, but the single 4-bbl 352"s, according to published specs, the '55 352" had 8.5 compression and 245 hp and the '56 has 9.5 compression and 275 hp. And yes, the '56 has several other improvements.

    jack vines
    PackardV8

  9. #9
    Speedster Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sunderland, MA
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by PackardV8 View Post
    I'm with Joe on this one. It's not possible to directly compare the '55 352" 260 hp Caribbean with the '56 374" 310 hp Caribbean, but the single 4-bbl 352"s, according to published specs, the '55 352" had 8.5 compression and 245 hp and the '56 has 9.5 compression and 275 hp. And yes, the '56 has several other improvements.

    jack vines
    I thought the '55 352 Carib. engine (dual quad) was 275 hp.
    Toby Knoll Garage
    ______

    '51 Muntz Jet
    '53 Woodill Wildfire/Dodge
    '54 Hudson Hornet Grand National Tribute car
    '55 Studebaker Speedster/Cadillac
    '56 Corvette SR replica


  10. #10
    Silver Hawk Member JoeHall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kentucky, USA.
    Posts
    5,352
    Quote Originally Posted by vetteson View Post
    I thought the '55 352 Carib. engine (dual quad) was 275 hp.
    You could swap 56 heads onto it, and a 56 cam into it. Then any given carb configuration would equal a 56 in rated HP. But you'd still have the weak main bearing caps, earlier oiling system, etc., from 1955.

    What do you mean by, "refreshed" with this motor? Can you be specific? How many miles were on it? How many miles mated to the Ford stick transmission?
    Thanks
    Last edited by JoeHall; 05-30-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •