Comical but serious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comical but serious

Well...I know some of you are employed by the USPS and this is not (NOT) intended to disparage any individual. But, for those who become entangled in the morass of regulatory buffoonery...here's a good example. Due to my service in Vietnam, the government has agreed that spraying me with agent orange caused my diabetes, and therefore supply the medications for treating the disease. As a bonus, they also enlist the postal service to ship the medications so I don't have to get up off my lazy butt to go pick them up. Often, it works out great. However, sometimes...not so much.

Some of the meds are handling/time sensitive, like temperature, or being tossed around. For those who "worry," the VA & USPS offer "tracking." Occasionally, I use the tracking out of curiosity. Last week, I had my usual overdue Dr.'s visit at the VA, which kicked off a series of RX renewals. So, new meds are trickling in over a period of days. Some in my mailbox, and some from neighbors who must have agreed to finish sorting the mail for the local carrier.

Below, is an example of the fine attention to detail from the USPS, (Read from the bottom up), where the medication was picked up. I live 17 miles from the VA clinic. The local post office is about 3 miles from the clinic. The Greer post office is aprox 10 miles, and I'm about five miles from my post office. In the sequence of "Tracking," you will see the city of Woodruff, S.C. Woodruff is another 25 miles.

Arrived at Post Office GREER, SC 29650 May 19, 2017 7:26 am
    Departed USPS Destination Facility GREENVILLE, SC 29607 May 19, 2017 12:15 am
    Arrived at USPS Destination Facility GREENVILLE, SC 29607 May 18, 2017 9:56 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility WOODRUFF, SC 29388 May 18, 2017 7:19 am
    Departed USPS Destination Facility GREENVILLE, SC 29607 May 17, 2017 6:02 pm
    Arrived at USPS Destination Facility GREENVILLE, SC 29607 May 17, 2017 6:02 pm
    Accepted at USPS Destination Facility GREENVILLE, SC 29607 May 17, 2017 4:47 pm
    Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item May 16, 2017

Noticing the meds were sent to the wrong town, I emailed the USPS pointing out the error. Later in the morning, I received a response from the postal service with instructions. Lots of instructions. More than a full page of instructions, of what I was to do to correct THEIR ERROR! Instead, I waited for the small town post office to open, (10:AM). A very polite lady (Susan) answered the phone, listened to my explanation, actually found the package, and let me know it was correctly addressed, was incorrectly routed, and she would promptly send it back.

So, there you have it...a tiny package, life sustaining package, 17 miles (40 minutes) away, has been traveling for four days and counting....
    Serious...but comical.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Quasi-gubmint agency....
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Not unusual I'm afraid. I had a strange handling incident last week (not serious, just strange). I was sending a two pound part by Priority Mail to Ephrata, PA. I printed the label using my USPS account, wrapped the package and took it to the closest post office (less than two miles). They processed it and got it on the afternoon pickup. It went to Linthicum Heights, MD, where they sat on it for eight hours then sent it on to Baltimore (all our mail is processed there even if it a simple letter to someone in the same zip code). Baltimore got it out very quickly and it arrived at Harrisburg, PA in a few hours. Harrisburg sent it on the Lancaster, PA where it was processed and sent on to Ephrata (maybe 20 miles from Lancaster). Ephrata returned the package to Lancaster where it was promptly returned to Ephrata. Ephrata then very quickly delivered it to the addressee.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I had a package go coast to coast to coast for some mysterious reason... Don't think it ever got taken off the plane.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
          Not unusual I'm afraid. I had a strange handling incident last week (not serious, just strange). I was sending a two pound part by Priority Mail to Ephrata, PA. I printed the label using my USPS account, wrapped the package and took it to the closest post office (less than two miles). They processed it and got it on the afternoon pickup. It went to Linthicum Heights, MD, where they sat on it for eight hours then sent it on to Baltimore (all our mail is processed there even if it a simple letter to someone in the same zip code). Baltimore got it out very quickly and it arrived at Harrisburg, PA in a few hours. Harrisburg sent it on the Lancaster, PA where it was processed and sent on to Ephrata (maybe 20 miles from Lancaster). Ephrata returned the package to Lancaster where it was promptly returned to Ephrata. Ephrata then very quickly delivered it to the addressee.
          Just be glad it didn't make a trip to Ephrata, Washington. The original Jet Thrust News listed my Hawk as having lived in Ephrata, PA, not the correct Ephrata, WA.

Comment

I purchased printer ink off Ebay. TWICE the package was sent across the country, put on the truck, NOT DELIVERED, and returned to sender. Upon the second return to sender I had the person send me a picture of the package. The address was completely correct and legible. The THIRD time the package had arrived at my local post office I immediately went there hoping to intercept it before it got on the truck. Unfortunately it was already "out for delivery." The people at the post office seemed mildly annoyed I was taking their time.

They stated the reason for the returns was that my home was vacant. Ah, no, we have many cars in the driveway, open windows and 99% of the time we meet the postman at the box. They had no explanation for the 20+ days to deliver a 3 day package and the 18,000 miles it traveled to go 3,000 miles. They had the "stuff happens" attitude. For years we had a marginal postman. One day he was gone and we seemed to get beginners that changed every three days (I guess our route is not desirable). Thankfully we eventually got "Speedy Gonzales" who was always timely and seemed to have perfected the art of getting the mail in the box without bringing the truck to a complete stop.

The irony of all this was the printer broke and I never got to use the well traveled ink.
            Last edited by wittsend; 05-19-2017, 08:59 AM.
            '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

No detailed comments from me, but with my eBay store - the Post Office loses things a lot, UPS breaks stuff (and denies it), and FedEx just charges too darn much (but their performance never disappoints).
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I had much trepidation about starting this thread. Even in "stovehuggers," I didn't know if I could compose my thoughts in a manner that wouldn't kick off some kind of hateful debate, where we choose sides and start attacking each other. Thankfully, so far, that has not happened (and I hope it don't). However, you guys have kept me from a "must happen to only me" pity party.

For us "Face Book Holdouts," this forum is about as close as we get to social media. There was a time when I thought I was the only one left not using facebook. However, I have had many fellow SDC members confide they have not, and do not intend to go that route. Heck, I've got lots of friends who still don't know computer basics. I don't say "never" to facebook, or other social media venues, because I see the day coming where some essential services will require it.

In the meantime, I'll slog along with my "hand crank" lifestyle, and thank you folks for putting up with me.

A few minutes ago, the post-person arrived and deposited my package in the correct mailbox. With all its warts, hiccups, fits & bits, out postal system is probably still the best on earth. However, that does not inoculate them from criticism, nor should it.

And, to derail my own thread...Chris Pile, and others with an eBay store, how 'bout posting your store link? I don't know of any terms of service it would violate for the forum, and if you have Studebaker parts listed, that would be a bonus. I know of several SDC eBay vendors, and try to visit their sites when I think of it. Having a link would be a good reminder.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My wife shipped two boxes USPS from Kingman to Albuquerque. The destinations were one block apart. One went right over there and the other one took a detour to Florida before heading back to NM. I shipped a package USPS to NC where delivery was attempted but it was on a Saturday and the business was closed. The carrier noted that she would try to deliver it again on Monday. It was never seen again. Now we get insurance on everything we ship thru the post office.
                  Rick
                  Kingman, AZ

Comment

I still laugh at the time Fed-Ex called me about a package to be delivered.
                    But the item was missing and the only thing out for delivery was a piece of plywood with the address label on it.
                    Seems either the bands snapped, and the product lost, or the bands were cut and the product stolen.
                    Of course I refused the shipment. Then I got a call from the shipper saying that I must have received the item and returned the packing crate.
                    Uhhhhh, Noooooo. Credit my account and you fight it out with Fed-Ex.
                    Too funny.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Some years back I had a '67 Dodge Charger. It needed a piece of trim that was difficult to find in decent condition. I found a NOS piece and the shipper was in Canada. I paid him and he shipped it plus forwarding me the UPS tracking number. It went into the US Customs facility at the border and apparently got lost as no record of it leaving was discovered.

It took about two years of fighting with UPS by the shipper to get my money back which he forwarded to me. I avoid UPS whenever possible...I find Fedex is less expensive anyway.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

And, to derail my own thread...Chris Pile, and others with an eBay store, how 'bout posting your store link? I don't know of any terms of service it would violate for the forum, and if you have Studebaker parts listed, that would be a bonus.
                        I sell Studebaker stuff from time to time, but my focus on eBay and Reverb is musical items and guitar parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
                          No detailed comments from me, but with my eBay store - the Post Office loses things a lot, UPS breaks stuff (and denies it), and FedEx just charges too darn much (but their performance never disappoints).
                          Chris, you have pretty much summed up my experience too.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I shipped a kit to San Francisco Ca. several years ago vis UPS. 2 of the 3 packages arrived safe and sound. About 10 days later I get the 3rd package delivered bac to me with "No Such Address" stamped allover it. I called UPS and gave them the first 2 tracking numbers, they politely told me they were delivered. I gave them the 3 tracking number, and was told "No Such Address" I asked them to look at all 3 address's. The guy said "Hey. they're all the same" So when I asked why the one was returned back to me he said, " I have NO idea"

UPS just does NOT hire Ivy League Graduates! <G>

Jim
                            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                            their Memorials!

Comment

I am reminded of the movie scene where the guy is checking in at the airline ticket counter, gives them three suitcases, and says"I want this one to go to Chicago, this one to Denver, and this one to Miami". The clerk says "I am sorry sir, we can't do that" and the guy says "Well, you did it last week!"
                              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Working...
                              X