more clutch talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch / Torque Converter: more clutch talk

So awhile back I put a 63 289 in my 55 coupe it needed a clutch so thinking newer is better I went and used a jeep clutch that is a bolt in, a late 70 s. Anyway after two thousand miles or so the stock clutch linkage had a failure and it's because of the spring pressure it's equally as hard on my leg. So now I'm checking stock set ups. There are two different pressure plates to chose from a 10 - 10.5 inch and a 9 spring and a 12 spring. I have a 10 inch 9 spring that needs rebuilding I'm not racing this car I'm just a 66 year old with bad knees and just want to drive the car. The 289 is suppose to have a 10.5 set up. So what I would like to hear is what others have used and how friendly there clutch is to them and how a 10 inch clutch did behind a 289 vs a 10.5 inch clutch. Thanks to all that respond.

If you can find a good, old clutch house (we have a few here), have them drop the spring pressure some for your usage. Unless you're towing or pulling hard, an old hand can set you up..

Comment

Yep. I have been advising against HD clutches in Studes for many years now. They do more harm than good, cause linkage failures, and take the fun out of driving a stick. I'd recommend a pressure plate sprung for light/normal duty. Absolutely no reason to have a mega PSI setup, in an OEM Stude 259/289. Look in the Parts Manual for specs, and take yours to a clutch rebuild shop and have it set up for standard 289, or even 259. Alternatively, order a PP from SI or other Stude vendor by part number, and emphasize that you do NOT want them to substitute your order with a HD clutch.

Comment

Thanks that's what I was thinking that the 10 inch with 9 spring would do fine. We have a good shop here in Sacto. that I'm pretty sure have all the specs I just wanted to here from others with more Studebaker experience.

Comment

I agree with Joe. I also own a few Model A's and they have a pretty stiff clutch, so many go with a different pressure plate, and often that means the flywheel also needs to be modified. The nicest, softest clutch I can ever remember driving was in a 1949 Chevy pickup. It took very little pressure, yet never slipped. I wish all clutches were that nice. Sometime I'll have to look it up to see what they use, but I think it's a diaphram pressure plate.

Comment

Working...
          X