Coupe Express running at least 75 MPH on I-80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coupe Express running at least 75 MPH on I-80

I was amazed to see a 1939 Coupe Express in red primer (maybe just oxidized original red paint) zoom by headed westbound (on a trailer) as I was headed home (eastbound) from North Platte, Nebraska today. I think I saw it around Brady NE exit 199 at about 3:30 PM. Was that anyone on the Forum by chance? Since our closing speed was over 100 MPH, I only got a brief glimpse, but I saw a sidemount spare. It looked pretty complete and original, from what I could see in about five seconds. Good luck to whoever owns it, it looks like a nice ride!
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

That would have been Ed and Linda Smith from the Grand Canyon State Chapter on their way back from the International. They were making a "round robin" trip, visiting relatives and some other places of interest along the way.
    sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Darn, I just drove 900 miles across Nebraska and saw two Studebakers,,,, sitting in yards\

Comment

While you are on the subject of Nebraska, when I drove through Maxwell on the 30th of April on the way to SB we suffered a snow storm mid-afternoon. Not being an experienced snow driver its was a bit traumatic especially with semi-trailers jack-knifing off the road. By the time I parked the renter back in L.A I only had seen one nice Golden Hawk along the way. We had clocked up 7000 miles on that trip.
        Brian Greenall
        Melbourne, OZ
        sigpic

Comment

Brian
          Great college football and highly variable weather are Nebraska's claims to fame! That particular storm was more of a slush storm than a snowstorm. We had 3-5" of accumulation here at Holdrege and it was deeper further west at Maxwell. It was like shoveling wet concrete! I hope you are able to see our state under more pleasant circumstances sometime.
          John
          1950 Champion
          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
          Holdrege NE

Comment

By the way, my apologies to ed and Linda Smith if I disparaged the paint job on their vehicle. It could be very nice, I just got a quick glance at it.
            John
            1950 Champion
            W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
            Holdrege NE

Comment

I think Ed would be very happy with your description of the paint. It's a combination of original, some touch-up, and some primer. The CE runs pretty good with some vapor lock problems and sometime overheating in parade situations, all of which he is dealing with as they enjoy the old truck. They had an offer to sell the CE along the road somewhere and were caught by surprise. Ed has some plans for it and it may not be a restoration as much as a maintaining of what you saw. He has a lot of extra parts and, I think. he plans to install the best of them and go from there. Time will tell, but it is a grand ole thing to see and it gathers a crowd whenever they have it out.
              Originally posted by Lothar View Post
              By the way, my apologies to ed and Linda Smith if I disparaged the paint job on their vehicle. It could be very nice, I just got a quick glance at it.
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                I was amazed to see a 1939 Coupe Express in red primer (maybe just oxidized original red paint) zoom by headed westbound (on a trailer) as I was headed home (eastbound) from North Platte, Nebraska today. I think I saw it around Brady NE exit 199 at about 3:30 PM. Was that anyone on the Forum by chance? Since our closing speed was over 100 MPH, I only got a brief glimpse, but I saw a sidemount spare. It looked pretty complete and original, from what I could see in about five seconds. Good luck to whoever owns it, it looks like a nice ride!
                Does this look like what you saw??

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8388 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	1713709
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

We were also stopped in North Plate the same night as Brian, the road were getting rather bad and it was also getting colder well below freezing. There was no reason to keep on going and have problems so we spent the night there.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

That's Ed and Linda's C E.............ready to go for a ride.
                    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Does this look like what you saw??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]64235[/ATTACH]
                    1950 Champion 4Dr
                    1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                      That's Ed and Linda's C E.............ready to go for a ride.
                      Nice trailer!
                      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

[QUOTE=packardHawk58;1054658]While you are on the subject of Nebraska, when I drove through Maxwell on the 30th of April on the way to SB we suffered a snow storm mid-afternoon. Not being an experienced snow driver its was a bit traumatic especially with semi-trailers jack-knifing off the road. By the time I parked the renter back in L.A I only had seen one nice Golden Hawk along the way. We had clocked up 7000 miles on that trip.
                        [/QUOTE

Wow Brian, You drove 7000 miles AFTER traveling half way around the world to reach California, USA!......That feat REALLY shows us some 'STUDEBAKER DEDICATION!!! (By the way, nice looking '57 Golden!

Comment

Thanks for the picture, Richard! That does look like the CE that I saw. I would have sworn that it had a sidemount spare, though.
                          John
                          1950 Champion
                          W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                          Holdrege NE

Comment

That was some of the nastiest body work Ive seen around the headlamps
                            sigpic

Comment

I'd say the one pictured by RQ is the one Annie Goodman from Fresno got running after buying it from the family of late local chapter member Ron King. Some of the story here:
                              Last edited by kurtruk; 05-19-2017, 09:27 PM. Reason: Added link
                              KURTRUK
                              (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X