Thread: Coupe Express running at least 75 MPH on I-80

Thumbs up Coupe Express running at least 75 MPH on I-80

I was amazed to see a 1939 Coupe Express in red primer (maybe just oxidized original red paint) zoom by headed westbound (on a trailer) as I was headed home (eastbound) from North Platte, Nebraska today. I think I saw it around Brady NE exit 199 at about 3:30 PM. Was that anyone on the Forum by chance? Since our closing speed was over 100 MPH, I only got a brief glimpse, but I saw a sidemount spare. It looked pretty complete and original, from what I could see in about five seconds. Good luck to whoever owns it, it looks like a nice ride!
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

That would have been Ed and Linda Smith from the Grand Canyon State Chapter on their way back from the International. They were making a "round robin" trip, visiting relatives and some other places of interest along the way.
    1966 Daytona (The First One)
    1950 Champion Convertible
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Commander Member
    Darn, I just drove 900 miles across Nebraska and saw two Studebakers,,,, sitting in yards\

While you are on the subject of Nebraska, when I drove through Maxwell on the 30th of April on the way to SB we suffered a snow storm mid-afternoon. Not being an experienced snow driver its was a bit traumatic especially with semi-trailers jack-knifing off the road. By the time I parked the renter back in L.A I only had seen one nice Golden Hawk along the way. We had clocked up 7000 miles on that trip.
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

Brian
    Great college football and highly variable weather are Nebraska's claims to fame! That particular storm was more of a slush storm than a snowstorm. We had 3-5" of accumulation here at Holdrege and it was deeper further west at Maxwell. It was like shoveling wet concrete! I hope you are able to see our state under more pleasant circumstances sometime.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

By the way, my apologies to ed and Linda Smith if I disparaged the paint job on their vehicle. It could be very nice, I just got a quick glance at it.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

I think Ed would be very happy with your description of the paint. It's a combination of original, some touch-up, and some primer. The CE runs pretty good with some vapor lock problems and sometime overheating in parade situations, all of which he is dealing with as they enjoy the old truck. They had an offer to sell the CE along the road somewhere and were caught by surprise. Ed has some plans for it and it may not be a restoration as much as a maintaining of what you saw. He has a lot of extra parts and, I think. he plans to install the best of them and go from there. Time will tell, but it is a grand ole thing to see and it gathers a crowd whenever they have it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    By the way, my apologies to ed and Linda Smith if I disparaged the paint job on their vehicle. It could be very nice, I just got a quick glance at it.
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
    I was amazed to see a 1939 Coupe Express in red primer (maybe just oxidized original red paint) zoom by headed westbound (on a trailer) as I was headed home (eastbound) from North Platte, Nebraska today. I think I saw it around Brady NE exit 199 at about 3:30 PM. Was that anyone on the Forum by chance? Since our closing speed was over 100 MPH, I only got a brief glimpse, but I saw a sidemount spare. It looked pretty complete and original, from what I could see in about five seconds. Good luck to whoever owns it, it looks like a nice ride!
    Does this look like what you saw??

IMG_8388 copy.jpg
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Silver Hawk Member
    We were also stopped in North Plate the same night as Brian, the road were getting rather bad and it was also getting colder well below freezing. There was no reason to keep on going and have problems so we spent the night there.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

That's Ed and Linda's C E.............ready to go for a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    Does this look like what you saw??

IMG_8388 copy.jpg
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    Nice trailer!
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Banned
    [QUOTE=packardHawk58;1054658]While you are on the subject of Nebraska, when I drove through Maxwell on the 30th of April on the way to SB we suffered a snow storm mid-afternoon. Not being an experienced snow driver its was a bit traumatic especially with semi-trailers jack-knifing off the road. By the time I parked the renter back in L.A I only had seen one nice Golden Hawk along the way. We had clocked up 7000 miles on that trip.
    [/QUOTE

Wow Brian, You drove 7000 miles AFTER traveling half way around the world to reach California, USA!......That feat REALLY shows us some 'STUDEBAKER DEDICATION!!! (By the way, nice looking '57 Golden!

Thanks for the picture, Richard! That does look like the CE that I saw. I would have sworn that it had a sidemount spare, though.
    John
    1950 Champion
    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
    Holdrege NE

President Member
    That was some of the nastiest body work Ive seen around the headlamps

President Member
    I'd say the one pictured by RQ is the one Annie Goodman from Fresno got running after buying it from the family of late local chapter member Ron King. Some of the story here:
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...light=Ron+King
    Last edited by kurtruk; 05-20-2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Added link
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Those headlights were added by a PO and Ed made an attempt to smooth them out a little. He has a set of fenders that are much better with side mounts and proper headlights. It's a work in progress and 90% of the people that see it have no idea if the lights are correct or not. He's just putting a rather rare vehicle in front of as many people as he can, promoting Studebaker and having fun. That can't be all bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by COMMANDERPINK1 View Post
    That was some of the nastiest body work Ive seen around the headlamps
    1950 Champion 4Dr
    1957 Thunderbird

Do any Forum members know if this cool Coupe Express changed hands at South bend or not?

Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ

I don't know but its a really nice truck. Much too nice to restore. Actually its got a newish interior, very well done and a late model OHv v8 (not sure which brand Chevy?) Its ready to enjoy. Great patina.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderations View Post
    Isn't that the one that George DeBono rescued some 40 years ago? The headlights give it away.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

President Member
    Yes, Roy. Read the link in post #15.

As...uh...shall I say "odd" as the headlights are, that's become the way everyone's been able to keep track of this CE throughout it's history.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln