Installing Door glass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Installing Door glass?

1961 Hawk. Is there an easy way to install the two washers and hairpins to the pins that are in the window tracks? I just spent over two hours over the course of two days getting them on one window, and I'm not sure they are on right. I can't see them to check. also, what grease is used on the tracks and gear and sector? Thanks! -Jim

I'm guessing your right handed! I bet you got the passenger side in? Those clips are tricky. I use the white lithium grease, easy to clean up. You can put some grease on the washer that way it holds it in place while you work that clip on. Now the clip doesn't have to slide on, you can press or squeeze it on over the spindle. Yes use both hands if needed or find a southpaw Also rolling the window up and down a few time can help with verifying whether or not you got the clips on correctly. Note: With a small mirror and a bright flashlight you should be able to tell for certain if the clips are on correctly. GOOD LUCK

Comment

My '60 Champ is missing some parts on the windows. The track you are talking about, is it on the bottom of the window glass? If so, are these washers and hairpins what secure the spindle in the track? I started a new thread in the technical forum asking about this.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

The washers and window regulator arm clips hold the track on the window crank mechanism pins. The part number is 285030 for the clips, its a good idea to replace these, don't forget the washers and do grease the tracks.

Comment

I quit using white lithium grease about 15 years ago, when I noticed it separated and dried out.

I've been using Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease ever since, and really like it.

Comment

Thank you, az64stude, for letting us know the retainers can be pushed on. I had fought with a retainer for over an hour the other night before I gave up. Tonight I went back out and rolled the window up 3-4 inches which allowed me to get my arm partially in the opening and gave me better leverage. The wire retainer was able to be pushed unto the spindle. I was a happy camper.

Charlie D.

Comment

Working...
            X