Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: NOS Bulb Sockets etc.. For 1950 Studebaker Champion

  1. #1
    Speedster Member Bmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Posts
    103

    Question NOS Bulb Sockets etc.. For 1950 Studebaker Champion

    I am looking for some wiring harness scraps, sockets, ideas, etc... Really ANYTHING in regards to adding components to a Champion. I would like to add a radio (I have one in line to purchase - I would need to refurb it first), add a lighter, and add my clock I acquired. Is there any place to grab just the snippets I need or are these all hard to find things?
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

  2. #2
    Golden Hawk Member rockne10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa, USA.
    Posts
    13,326
    You can pick up wire terminals and in-line fuse holders at any auto parts store. Bulb sockets are also not vehicle specific, though they will be bulb specific, and can also be obtained at auto parts stores. They will probably NOT have the old style in stock but don't let them tell you they can't get them.

  3. #3
    Champion Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Grass Valley Ca.95945
    Posts
    6
    My 1950 starlight dash instrument panel and turn signal tel tail sockets had a ultraviolet glass socket in between the front plate and the back metal cover ,the bulb snapped into the back plate . the reason for the ultraviolet lens was as I was told was a black out for the war so the dash lights wouldn't reflect at night but still give enough light to see the gauges.
    The wiring for the dash lights where single contact with two wires center HOT and the socket externally grounded .
    it's been a while seance I worked on mine and I converted over to led hop this helps. Dan at gminer

  4. #4
    Golden Hawk Member rockne10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa, USA.
    Posts
    13,326
    Quote Originally Posted by gminer View Post
    ... the reason for the ultraviolet lens was as I was told was a black out for the war so the dash lights wouldn't reflect at night but still give enough light to see the gauges.
    Not quite true. We were fighting no domestic wars in 1950.
    "SPREAD YOUR ARMS, HOLD YOUR BREATH...and ALWAYS TRUST YOUR CAPE !" --Guy Clark

    Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

  5. #5
    President Member TWChamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    3,096
    Not many 1950 Champion owners paid the few extra dollars for a clock, so finding the light and fused power wire for it is a bit hard. The fuse holder is a short metal part in line.
    I got lucky in South Bend a few weeks ago, and one dealer removed these two wires from his instrument panel and sold them to be for $1.

    I like to find original terminals and light sockets by going to junk yards and buying the parts. French Lake in Annandale, MN has quite a few Studebakers. 320-286-2560

  6. #6
    President Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Southern Maryland
    Posts
    645
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmallett View Post
    I am looking for some wiring harness scraps, sockets, ideas, etc... Really ANYTHING in regards to adding components to a Champion. I would like to add a radio (I have one in line to purchase - I would need to refurb it first), add a lighter, and add my clock I acquired. Is there any place to grab just the snippets I need or are these all hard to find things?
    Rhode Island Wiring Service actually lists the harness for your clock.
    http://www.riwire.com/ . They sell supplies like bulb and fuse holders, terminals and authentic wire, too.
    Mike M.

  7. #7
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fresno, California, USA.
    Posts
    3,784
    http://www.larkworks.com/ may also be able to help.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)




    Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

  8. #8
    President Member WinM1895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Simi Valley CA
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    Not quite true. We were fighting no domestic wars in 1950.
    Korean War began in 1950, and in 1951/52, the automakers were forced to use "Korean War chrome."

    Anyone that has restored a 1952 knows what this "chrome" actually is composed of.

    Finding unpitted chrome parts for these cars (even if it's NOS), is almost impossible.

  9. #9
    Speedster Member Bmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Rhode Island Wiring Service actually lists the harness for your clock.
    http://www.riwire.com/ . They sell supplies like bulb and fuse holders, terminals and authentic wire, too.
    Mike M.
    Mike, THANK YOU.
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

  10. #10
    President Member WinM1895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Simi Valley CA
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by rockne10 View Post
    You can pick up wire terminals and in-line fuse holders at any auto parts store. Bulb sockets are also not vehicle specific, though they will be bulb specific, and can also be obtained at auto parts stores.

    They will probably NOT have the old style in stock, but don't let them tell you they can't get them.
    If the parts peeps are dumb clucks that know nothing about old cars and could care less, this is exactly what they'll say.

    Most of y'all are probably aware that chain auto parts stores don't have parts listed on computers for older vehicles.

    So, you have to get the parts clucks to look in their paper parts catalogs, that are usually stashed under the counter.

  11. #11
    Speedster Member Bmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by WinM1895 View Post
    If the parts peeps are dumb clucks that know nothing about old cars and could care less, this is exactly what they'll say.

    Most of y'all are probably aware that chain auto parts stores don't have parts listed on computers for older vehicles.

    So, you have to get the parts clucks to look in their paper parts catalogs, that are usually stashed under the counter.
    YUP! You should see their faces when they try to ask over and over for the year and model of the car I am needing parts for when I ask for something specific that I know I need. I also have a 1973 Porsche 914 with a SBC 350 motor conversion from Renegade Hybrids. "Is it the 1.8 or 2.0?"... "It's the 350."... "Sir, that's not an option."... "EXACTLY! now, can I get what I asked for?" lol
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

  12. #12
    Speedster Member Bmallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Rhode Island Wiring Service actually lists the harness for your clock.
    http://www.riwire.com/ . They sell supplies like bulb and fuse holders, terminals and authentic wire, too.
    Mike M.
    Unfortunately, they had them for other models, but when I called, they said they would have to make a custom section for each one I was after. I am going to have to go to the schematic to trace the color, gauge, fuse, length, and connectivity before they will make one. lol

    I might as well make it myself then.
    1950 Studebaker Champion 4 Door Sedan

  13. #13
    President Member WinM1895's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Simi Valley CA
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmallett View Post
    YUP! You should see their faces when they try to ask over and over for the year and model of the car I am needing parts for when I ask for something specific that I know I need. I also have a 1973 Porsche 914 with a SBC 350 motor conversion from Renegade Hybrids. "Is it the 1.8 or 2.0?"... "It's the 350."... "Sir, that's not an option."... "EXACTLY! now, can I get what I asked for?" lol
    Coupla years ago I was at Auto-Zone buying wax, a elderly lady drove in w/a 1970 Cougar, said her grandson wanted her to buy points and condenser.

    The parts cluck said that Ford never made a Cougar. I boomed out: "YOU WANNA BET?" Pointed to the parking lot: "THERE IT IS!"

    IDIOTS!
    Last edited by WinM1895; 06-02-2017 at 10:16 PM.

  14. #14
    President Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Fresno, California, USA.
    Posts
    3,784
    Check this out:

    http://www.larkworks.com/how-to-order.html

    Just an example...
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)




    Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •