Thread: T86

Commander Member

T86

I'm wanting a top shift on my t86od. The shifter I have has six bolts in a square pattern that matches my older t86. The newer ones have the two front bolts set closer. Which shifter can I find to match the newer t86?

Silver Hawk Member
    Have you driven a top shift T86? Just asking because I helped a friend do all the parts chasing, removing the tranny, overdrive lock-out modifications, cutting the hole in the floor. After driving it a while, he opined the shifting action was inferior in feel to the sideshift conversions he'd had previously, sold it and started over with Hurst conversion. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Commander Member
    I have and they were ok. My problem with the side that's in there is seat clearance. I want the bench seat back. This truck had a 5 od so there is no column shift. I've adjusted that side shifter every way possible and still have to use buckets.the shifter in it is a hurst.

Silver Hawk Member
    There is a top shift cover for the later T86 with the "non-square" top cover pattern. Newman and Altman had NOS top-shift T86's for sale, meant for taxi service. I bought one. No overdrive, though, but since it's a long-tail T86, one could be added easily enough.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Silver Hawk Member
    My problem with the side that's in there is seat clearance. I want the bench seat back. . . I've adjusted that side shifter every way possible and still have to use buckets.
    Get past the idea the Hurst shifter has to be mounted on the existing bracketry and use the existing rods. FWIW, here's the shifter bracket and short rods I made for the T85 in my C-cab. The shifter location ends up close to where a top shifter T86 would be. It would be easy to make something similar for the T86, using both top cover bolts and tailshaft housing bolts for mounting.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 05-17-2017 at 01:18 PM.
    PackardV8