Sears - more bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
    Speaking of K-Marts..... Used to be 5 here in town. We're down to one.
    Here in North San Diego County, we had 4 K-Marts alone (excluding the populous South end of the county, where there were more). Our last one just closed, and is in the process of being converted to a Target.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The K-Mart near me hasn't closed...it hasn't been on any closing lists that I've seen published. But it's been on a downhill slide for quite some time and is disorganized and unclean. I don't see why anyone goes there...I haven't in a long time. At one time it was a vibrant and very busy place to shop. It makes Walmart look like Macy's.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
        Here in North San Diego County, we had 4 K-Marts alone (excluding the populous South end of the county, where there were more). Our last one just closed, and is in the process of being converted to a Target.
        The K-Mart in near by Simi Valley was completely torn down when it closed. They then built a near identical building for Target. It made no sense what so ever. A large box with fluorescent lights is..., well..., a large box with fluorescent lights.
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

The building is supplied by the landlord not the tenant. There must have been some financial and/or tax advantage to do so before Target would sign a lease.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Here is a good summary of Sears problems.

Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Many problems arise for corporations at the top. Sometimes it is stuborn and poor managment at the board of directors meetins. They worry about there own financial benefits over the betterment of the company. I have been in some Sears stores that were dirty with little to no help other than a cashier, same with K mart. Others were nice, clean and helpful. Sucess has a lot to do with management. Some places cut back on a quality product and charge more for it. I miss the Sears catalogues, they used to sell everything so it seems. To bad, another great one time company bites the dust.

Comment

It kinda sounds like the problems Studebaker management faced and how the Board of Directors acted. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Comment

Good historical perspective of how things got so bad.

Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip. a great piece. In the late 60's and early 70's I worked in the Landmark store in the Men's furnishings department. My last two years there we did over $1,000,000 each year and were the 2nd leading Men's Furnishing division in the country. So sad.
                    sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Another element not mentioned are the Sears employees and their retirement fund. As I recall in the mid 70's Sears had already dispensed with pensions (at least for new employees) and had a retirement program which matched employees contributions in the retirement fund on a sliding scale based on longevity. The longer you worked there the more Sears contributed, however all of the contributions were invested in Sears stock. At that time the employees retirement fund was the largest single holder of Sears stock. With all the management changes and decline in stock prices I can't imagine it has gone well for Sears retirees.
                      Dan Peterson
                      Montpelier, VT
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Even more bad news for Sears

Clock is ticking for the formerly Great American Retailer as its holding company shutters yet more Sears and Kmart stores
                        Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

We received word this week that a Kmart a family member has worked at for nearly 40 years will be closing in July. Our family member is to young to retire and likely too old to find a decent replacement position.
                          \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
                          The Replacements.

Comment

these big corporations seem not to care about a long time employee's service. Just put them out to pasture while the big wigs take home a very healthy retirement. It is just going to get worse, lots of competition out there.

Comment

Sears Canada announced today that it lost C$144 million in the first quarter of 2017 and may have to be sold or seriously restructured.
                              Bill Jarvis

Comment

A slow death. Tool have certainly gone down hill quality wise. Just bought a $125 torque wrench and it broke on its second use. Lucky I am young and agile, any older and my jaw would have broke when I took a dive into the fender

Comment

Working...
                                X