X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Panther?

Hi,
    This is my first post!
    First of all, I live in the south west of the UK and have owned a 1928 (1929 model) Studebaker Dictator Royal for several years. Believe it or not this lovely car has never been touched bodily or mechanically since 1928! It is in an amazing original condition and I drive it to many classic car shows, carefully!
    I collect Studebaker memorabilia and have recently acquired a beautiful heavy chromed car badge which portrays a well sculptured leaping panther between the names Studebaker and Panther. It has threaded holes on the reverse which means it must have been attached to something. But what?
    The badge was found in a drawer in a garden shed here in the U.K. and according to the elderly lady owner she tells me that it has been there for many years! The badge is approx. 6"x 4" and after cleaning and polishing it is in mint condition! Apart from Packard Panther, any ideas?

Can you post some pictures?
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Interesting, Ray...
      I did a little looking and found a similar question asked way back in 2002...
      Nobody knew the answer then, either...

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I was just reading a UK vintage trucking magazine not long ago stating the different named Studebaker commercial models that were only used for the British market; some I can't say I heard being used in North America.

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Thanks for replies, I will post some photos asap, it's nightime here so I am off to bed!
          Ray

Comment

I also have one of the Studebaker Panther emblems as well as an ad provided by Richard Quinn for the 1935 commercial trucks marked 'The Studebaker Pierce-Arrow', the Panther Series. Studebaker Distributors LTD, 385-7 Euston Road, London, N.W.I.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              I was just reading a UK vintage trucking magazine not long ago stating the different named Studebaker commercial models that were only used for the British market; some I can't say I heard being used in North America.

Craig
              Thanks Craig. We learn something every day.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks to all for their input, especially to Craig for the article on Studebaker trucks in the U.K which answered my question! Photo of the badge is hopefully attached, it will now be framed and hung on my garage wall with the info.
                Amazing the power of the internet and a great website!
                Ray
                Attached Files

Comment

Impressive looking badge! Thanks for posting a photo of it!!

What will be better yet, will be to find a 3-5 tonner UK-market Stude truck to affix it to!

Craig

Comment

Hi Craig, I have already started looking!
                    Ray

Comment

Craig;

you never cease to amaze me with your ability to research archives, we are all lucky to have you here!
                      sigpic

Comment

Pretty cool badge!
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Before today, I've always associated the Panther with Paragon Motors….
                          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

My thoughts about the Panther name goes to 600 & 650 cc one-barrel bikes...
                            & if I had a badge like THAT it would be over my bed until I got the vehicle for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Museumbloke View Post
                              Hi Craig, I have already started looking!
                              Keep us all posted if you do find something there.

It appears larger vintage commercial vehicles have a huge following in England, and chances are, one could still be kicking around somewhere.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X