No announcement yet.

Electric power steering (EPAS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Electric power steering (EPAS)

Thought I should start a thread on this subject, as some of you may have interest in this "upgrade". Most of you probably won't have any interest, so please just ignore it if you like. I don't advocate that anyone should install anything non standard on their car if they prefer to not do so, but some people get their jollies by doing just that. I call them hot rodders, you can call them whatever you like.

Many of these older cars just don't have power steering, many of us don't appreciate the strong arm method all that much. Installing power steering can be done, but it can be a really big job a) finding all the parts to install it, and b) doing the actual installation. There are several approaches to power steering, and at one point Studebaker even did a fully mechanical version. Most use a hydraulic system, with either a conventional steering gear that has hydraulic assist incorporated into it, or a rack and pinion setup with the same. A lot of cars built in the last 10-15 years, are using a totally different approach. Electric Power Assist Steering, or EPAS.

EPAS is a very clean system, having no fluids, hoses, pumps servos, etc. to deal with. It resides totally under the dash of the subject vehicle. I simply senses when one is turning the steering wheel and an electric motor assists to reduce turning effort. It can also utilize other inputs to control how much assist is provides, such as how fast the car is moving. The faster you go, the less assist you may need, however, when stopped, as in parking, you may wish to have quite a bit of assist. Like all other steering assist methods used for street driven vehicles, there is a fail-safe, so if the assist unit fails, you fall back to manual steering, unhindered by the EPAS. That is, it steers just as it did without the installation of EPAS.

Through online searches, I've found that there are several companies selling complete kits for installation of EPAS in most any vehicle. These kits are quite expensive, but in some cases they can be a total plug n play install, meaning they are customized to specific vehicles. You are probably looking at $1500 - $3000, but it just bolts in and works. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a kit for any Studebaker at this time.

SO, DIY becomes the word of the day, and that is what this topic is about. Do It Yourself Electric power Steering for a Studebaker. Knowing that I am a CASO Studebaker owner, I suspect that there are others of the same ilk, who would like a much cheaper solution, and the good news is that it is now available. For about $150 - $200, you can add power steering to pretty much any 12V car. This topic will go into much more detail as my installation proceeds, but basically, we are going to use a small $60 electronic module, available on EBay, and a used EPAS unit from a Saturn Vue, also available on EBay, for a little over $100. We will have to cut the steering column, and hide this unit under the dash, and the cutting and installation is what will be covered by me here. Warning, I have obtained the parts, (module = $55, EPAS unit $110), but will not begin the install for a month or more, due to other commitments, but I wanted to start the discussion to see if there is any interest, ideas, thoughts, etc. on this subject.

NOTE: It would not be helpful to post things like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", or "keep it stock", or "it is not safe to mess with your steering", etc. If those are your comments, I encourage you to simply be polite, and avoid this topic. For those interested, it's their money, their vehicle, and they can and should do as they please. Thank you for cooperating on this point.
    Corley

I am looking forward to seeing more episodes of your adventure , Go for it , Ed

Comment

Corley, you're not the first to install an EPAS in a Stude. Jerry Forester has one in a CK he is working on from time to time, and maybe he will chime in to give us some of his experiences. I'm quite interested in an EPAS for my GT Hawk, as I'm using a GM column with tilt and cruise, and can modify the installation easier before I start the install. That is a ways off so it will be helpful to watch your procedure and progress. Bill

Comment

Watching this one Corley. I always learn a lot from your how-to threads.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have heard of but not seen this conversion of epas units from Japanese cars to older domestic cars and apparently it is an economical solution to after market power steering and works very well. It will be interesting to follow your progress on this project. Please keep and post a photo record for us. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Looking forward to it Corley ! My 55 already has power steering, but what a big, heavy, leaky bundle, ha ! Lightness and no fluid and no huge space taken up in the engine compartment can only be good !

Comment

I'm 100% interested in this for my 56 K model! Please Post as many photos and as much detailed info as possible. My Wife and I will find the Hawk difficult and uncomfortable to drive, with manual steering...

Comment

I am interested in how much space the unit takes away from the knee / leg area?

Are you going to up grade to a bigger alternator?

Comment

Here are some more threads to look at until Corey gets cranked up on his:
                  http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...power+steering

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...power+steering
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC
                  Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                  Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by 70Avanti2 View Post
                    I am interested in how much space the unit takes away from the knee / leg area?

Are you going to up grade to a bigger alternator?
                    The unit under the dash has a motor hanging out to one side, but of course you can have that stick out to the left or right, where ever it fits best. There is still the work gear hanging down,n no matter what rotation the unit is positioned, but it only hangs down about 2.5“.

As to the alternator question, keep in mind that unlike a hydraulic pump setup, as is typical with PS, this unit only consumes any appreciable power when you turn the wheel. Driving down the road, it hardly takes any power at all. Also remember, these really were first developed for use in electric and hybred cars, so battery drain is very minimal. So no, you will probably never even notice the power it uses, and no need to crank up the charge rate.
                    Corley

Comment

Hot off the presses! Most diy'ers have been using the 02-12 Saturn unit, with an electronic module. This module comes with a potentiometer that adjusts the amount of assist. However, it has been discovered that the Prius unit can be used, sans any add-on electronics, as if not receiving signals from the cars ECU, it defaults to a limp mode, which seems to be just about an ideal amount of assist. So, this is another viable option. For more info, google search “Prius epas“. Lots of info out there..
                      Corley

Comment

EPAS Saturn Vue to Studebaker

Originally posted by Corley View Post
                        Thought I should start a thread on this subject, as some of you may have interest in this "upgrade". Most of you probably won't have any interest, so please just ignore it if you like. I don't advocate that anyone should install anything non standard on their car if they prefer to not do so, but some people get their jollies by doing just that. I call them hot rodders, you can call them whatever you like.

Many of these older cars just don't have power steering, many of us don't appreciate the strong arm method all that much. Installing power steering can be done, but it can be a really big job a) finding all the parts to install it, and b) doing the actual installation. There are several approaches to power steering, and at one point Studebaker even did a fully mechanical version. Most use a hydraulic system, with either a conventional steering gear that has hydraulic assist incorporated into it, or a rack and pinion setup with the same. A lot of cars built in the last 10-15 years, are using a totally different approach. Electric Power Assist Steering, or EPAS.

EPAS is a very clean system, having no fluids, hoses, pumps servos, etc. to deal with. It resides totally under the dash of the subject vehicle. I simply senses when one is turning the steering wheel and an electric motor assists to reduce turning effort. It can also utilize other inputs to control how much assist is provides, such as how fast the car is moving. The faster you go, the less assist you may need, however, when stopped, as in parking, you may wish to have quite a bit of assist. Like all other steering assist methods used for street driven vehicles, there is a fail-safe, so if the assist unit fails, you fall back to manual steering, unhindered by the EPAS. That is, it steers just as it did without the installation of EPAS.

Through online searches, I've found that there are several companies selling complete kits for installation of EPAS in most any vehicle. These kits are quite expensive, but in some cases they can be a total plug n play install, meaning they are customized to specific vehicles. You are probably looking at $1500 - $3000, but it just bolts in and works. To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a kit for any Studebaker at this time.

SO, DIY becomes the word of the day, and that is what this topic is about. Do It Yourself Electric power Steering for a Studebaker. Knowing that I am a CASO Studebaker owner, I suspect that there are others of the same ilk, who would like a much cheaper solution, and the good news is that it is now available. For about $150 - $200, you can add power steering to pretty much any 12V car. This topic will go into much more detail as my installation proceeds, but basically, we are going to use a small $60 electronic module, available on EBay, and a used EPAS unit from a Saturn Vue, also available on EBay, for a little over $100. We will have to cut the steering column, and hide this unit under the dash, and the cutting and installation is what will be covered by me here. Warning, I have obtained the parts, (module = $55, EPAS unit $110), but will not begin the install for a month or more, due to other commitments, but I wanted to start the discussion to see if there is any interest, ideas, thoughts, etc. on this subject.

NOTE: It would not be helpful to post things like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", or "keep it stock", or "it is not safe to mess with your steering", etc. If those are your comments, I encourage you to simply be polite, and avoid this topic. For those interested, it's their money, their vehicle, and they can and should do as they please. Thank you for cooperating on this point.
                        Corley, WE bought the wife's 2002 All Wheel Drive V-6 Vue new, it now has 180,000 miles, ZERO problems with the EPAS and it is a 3600 lb truck. I was nervous when we bought it as 'steer by wire' was new and untried. I will certainly consider the Vue unit as the starting point for my Avanti. Thanks for the lead on the project.

Comment

Thanks for the post Corley.
                          I looked into similar systems for my '59 Lark, but the fact it has the automatic selector on the column pretty much negates the usage for this application. However, my '63 GT is Powershift floor equipped so that may be a candidate at a later date.
                          Keep us posted as you have certainly piqued my interest.
                          Cheers, Bill

Comment

I would love to have something like this in my 50 Commander. At this stage of the game, however, it would require installing a floor shift and the car is too nice for that. I too, look forward to progress reports and wonder... how tall/long is the unit? IE, how much of the steering column will have to be removed?
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

It's been used in Europe too . Here is a link to the setup for a Citroën Traction Avant if this is of any help. Best of luck for your conversion.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X