Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric power steering (EPAS)

Silver Hawk Member
    I expect one would anchor the unit in some fashion that mimics the way it was anchored in the donor car. If you feel you need more support for the motor, weld up a flat plate to be attached to the firewall.dash supports, so that it lies just above the motor, and attach the motor to it using a large U-bolt. Rubber strips to cushion it.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

President Member
    Yesterday I drove a friends' new Ram 1/2 Ton and commented how precise and quick the steering was. It turns out it is also electric! Big surprise it drove so well.
    Bill

Silver Hawk Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
    Yesterday I drove a friends' new Ram 1/2 Ton and commented how precise and quick the steering was. It turns out it is also electric! Big surprise it drove so well.
    Bill
    As does my 14 Ram, these trucks are no longer your father's half tons. At the weekly old fart get together last monday, one of the group that owns a 17 Silverado said his truck was also most like it had no power steering at startup on a -15 deg day when he had parked outside overnight. It loosened up after he drove it some distance but we cogitated that it might be possible that his electric power steering was setup to not over stress the unit by limiting assist against a stiff resistance.

We then went on to more important stuff like local bridge closings and best meals served under $8, you know - the important stuff to we alte kakers.

Bob
    , ,

Agree with using the Toyota unit and already bought one. It is a bit smaller overall than the Saturn unit. The biggest problem in installing it in the Avanti is there is not a lot of room above the column under the dash area for the epas unit. I still haven't gotten the energy to do the install, since driving the Avanti without PS is not really difficult, and the latest Model A project has been consuming my time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    Agree with using the Toyota unit and already bought one. It is a bit smaller overall than the Saturn unit. The biggest problem in installing it in the Avanti is there is not a lot of room above the column under the dash area for the epas unit. I still haven't gotten the energy to do the install, since driving the Avanti without PS is not really difficult, and the latest Model A project has been consuming my time.
    Model A's are also my second love of old cars. Studebakers come first of course. There is a fairly new excellent Model A site called Vintage Ford Forum.