No announcement yet.

1953 2R6 Gas gage ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: 1953 2R6 Gas gage ???

My wiring diagram shows a 3 terminal gas gage. I have a 2 terminal gage in the dash now. Is it possible this is a 12V gage installed at the time of 12V conversion (12+ ground [now - ground] ) ? I'd like to get the gage working and to install the voltage inverter if necessary.... Don't know that I need one ?

I might have answered my own question.... but for everyone/anyone else: On my CD I can see that the 2E-8E trucks all have 2 terminal gas gages. I'm assuming mine, in the 53' is from a later year.....anyone think differently ?

Comment

Jack,

I have a NOS early 2R gas gage, 676661, and it has three terminals on the back.

Unfortunately I don't have any of the later gages, 6 or 12 volt, to compare it to.

Dan
      Dan Peterson
      Montpelier, VT
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
      1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Your truck may have a 3R (1954) gauge and sender in it. Does this truck have the 2R style instrument cluster with with a long, narrow speedometer and two gauges on either side of it? Or is it more of a square cluster with gauges in the four corners?
        Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I have the long rectangular cluster. Interesting that it may be a 2 terminal 6 volt gage. How would I know what voltage the gage is ???

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
            I have the long rectangular cluster. Interesting that it may be a 2 terminal 6 volt gage. How would I know what voltage the gage is ???
            Your 53 truck most probably has the Type B instrument cluster. Look at the back side of the cluster from the engine bay. If it is Type A, the back side of the speedometer housing will look like a diamond, or triangular shape. If it is Type B, the speedometer housing will be rectangular shaped. There is a production number listed in the book, or one of the many service bulletins that gives a point at which Studebaker made the switch. I'll have to look, but I think the Type B instruments have 2 terminals?
            Bo

Comment

The Type B gauges are two (2) terminal.
              Bo

Comment

If you have the rectangular cluster, it is almost certainly 6 volt. The single-wire sender and two-wire dash gauge were used on 2R6 trucks after serial R6-415.. The same sender was also used on all 3R and E-series trucks.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

As I have now changed to 12V negative ground, I'm hoping the gas gage may now work. I have a NOS (6V) tank unit. My dilemma is determining 6 vs. 12 v guage. I don't want to destroy the 6 V gas/dash unit and was planning on a 6 to 12 V reducer from 5th Avenue. Can I assume the 6V tank unit will work OK with the 12V ?

Comment

The ohms resistance is what needs to be matched up wither it is a 6 volt or a 12 volt the sender must match the gauge.thre are charts on the forum that have the ohm specs for the senders.
                    Hawkowner

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkowner View Post
                      The ohms resistance is what needs to be matched up wither it is a 6 volt or a 12 volt the sender must match the gauge.thre are charts on the forum that have the ohm specs for the senders.
                      Hawkowner
                      I'm not familiar with these charts. Could you tell me where, or show me a link so I can get a look at the information? I could have used that the other day???
                      Bo

Comment

Working...
                      X