Upside Down Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Upside Down Fuel Pump

Will a Stewart Warner type electric fuel pump operate and pump fuel if installed upside down? The reason I ask is because the "inlet" and "outlet" are opposite to where they need to be...outlet is towards the fuel tank, and inlet is towards the front of the car (carburetor). If installed upside down, they will be in the correct orientation. Otherwise, I'll need to install the pump on the outside of the frame, and rubber hose to the fuel lines which are on the inside/under the frame...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	stewert warner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	1754004

Couldn't it just be rotated 180 degrees?
    Tom Senecal Not enough money or years to build all of the Studebakers that I think I can.

Comment

Has the car ever run in this condition? If not, that's probably the reason. Is the car positive or negative ground? I don't know the inner workings of those old SW pumps, I suppose it's possible they work "backwards" if installed with reverse polarity???

Comment

TSENECAL - I tried "clocking it, but it's not feasible. It has a built-in mount, which won't allow installing the entire pump 180 out.

63 R2 HAWK - It's a new pump and installation.

Comment

Why not take a piece of flat iron and make a double Z shaped bracket and mount the pump inside the Z. Then bolt the bracket to the inside of the chaise.
          Ron

Comment

Hope that's a new pump.it wont last long so dont to to much trouble.those style pumps,stutter and rattle a bunch and you wont like the noise. an inline pump mounted correctly will serve you much better. Luck Doofus

Comment

The pump won't care if you mount it upside down. But you could, of course, mount it on the other side of the car if you wished to have it "upright".
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

If you mount the pump upside down won't it have a tendency to drain all the gas (the gas in the pump housing) back to the tank making the car hard to start?? They are designed to be mounted so that there's always gas in the housing preventing "dry" starts.

Treblig

Comment

I'm pretty sure that style pump should not be mounted upside down. Just use a piece of aluminum channel to mount it and turn it 180 degrees.

But I agree with doofus that this pump may not hold up to today's gas.

In the 70's and early 80's my Renault R12 GTL went through a lot of those pumps until I finally got rid of that car.

I'd buy a modern rotary pump with no rubber parts. Then you can most likely clock the inlet and outlet also.

Comment

Working...
                  X