This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to the guy in the blue 63 convertible 4 speed

I'm terrible with names, but I wanted to thank him again for staying with my 1917 and a special thanks to a couple locals in an suv that got out and pushed me up to the top of a hill during the parade (who also hung on for dear life on the coast down the hill into the gas station). Neither of them had to stop, but they did...along with another Studebaker in front of me (they offered their help and stayed around until I started moving, although not on my own power). I also want to thank the attendant who allowed me to keep it there until I could pick it up.
    The guy with the convertible ran me back to the fairgrounds to pick up my tow vehicle. I then picked up my U-Haul early, poured fuel in the vacuum fuel pump and drove it on the trailer and still made it downtown by 7:30. It turns out there was more junk in my tank than I originally thought and at slow speeds the engine could get enough fuel through the dirty filter.
    I bought the vehicle in November, got it running by January and by Monday of the meet week was able to drive it 20 feet, by Tuesday it was 0.4 miles before having my wife tow me home. On Wednesday I loaded it up for the show. I was able to drive it around the show Wednesday, through judging on Thursday and took it on the road on Friday. But the long fast parade (with the added hill) was just too much for the dirty filter. When I finally got out of downtown it was after 10:00 at night and the police security let me back into the fairgrounds to drop off my car.
    Everyone was so kind. Nobody had to stop, nobody had to help, nobody had to push, the guy with the 63 didn't have to run me back to the fairgrounds, the attendant didn't have to let me leave the car, U-Haul didn't have to let me pick up the trailer a day early and the cops didn't have to let me back into the fairgrounds. But everyone did, and I am so grateful because of all of them doing what they didn't have to do.

Was this at the IM in South Bend?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yes, it was during the parade downtown on Friday afternoon.

Comment

Steve, I hope you read this.

Comment

I purposely stayed near the back of the parade because I only gave it a 50/50 chance of making it. By this weekend I will have my freshly cleaned and sealed fuel tank back in, so hopefully that doesn't happen to me for again for a while.

Comment

Working...
          X