Turn Signal inop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Turn Signal inop.

On the 1960 Lark, the left turn signal lights come on both front and rear but do not blink.
    The Right side works correctly. How do I go about diag? Thank you.

Husband of Lark VIII girl.

Often that means only one bulb is lit. Sometimes when a ground is missing, the turn signal lamp will ground itself through the other filament. Did you look at both left side front and rear bulbs? Did you also test them at night with the taillights on and observe relative brightness?
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Looking through a welding helmet is a good way to see exactly which filaments are lit.

Comment

The test should still be done with the parking lights on. That's the best way to see if one filament is affecting the other.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I seem to remember on some vehicle that I have owned, that it was caused by the flasher itself. Replacement cured the problem. But most times it's been as stated in Reply #2.
          1966 Y-4 Commander
          1963 8E-10 122 Champ

Comment

Sounds like the left side lights are not drawing enough current to trigger the flasher unit. Check all the connections and grounds at left side lamp sockets make sure you have the correct number bulb types. Try new bulbs . Flasher works for right side so it is good.

Comment

When my 50 Champion quit flashing on the right side last fall, I found the connector for the rear socket must have a bit of corrosion. As soon as I moved the wires it worked agin, so I'll have to unplug it and use some grease in the sockets. It's in a position where water off the tire hits it directly.

Comment

Working...
              X