Thread: 1965 commander wiper motor

Commander Member

1965 commander wiper motor

My wiper motor was seized ( rear bearing) but I manage to get it to move again. Now when I plug it into the car it pegs the amp guage to total discharge and the wipers don't work. If I just hook up the high speed and low speed wires ( yellow and red) up the 2 speeds both work but when turned off the wipers they don't return to the park position. I assume the other two wire are for park. Can I use the wipers as is and is there a way to fix the park function or should I look for a new motor? Thanks.

President Member

wiper motor

Quote Originally Posted by bill matwijec View Post
    My wiper motor was seized ( rear bearing) but I manage to get it to move again. Now when I plug it into the car it pegs the amp guage to total discharge and the wipers don't work. If I just hook up the high speed and low speed wires ( yellow and red) up the 2 speeds both work but when turned off the wipers they don't return to the park position. I assume the other two wire are for park. Can I use the wipers as is and is there a way to fix the park function or should I look for a new motor? Thanks.
    It will run ok without the park circuit, you will be able to park it with a little practice. I would still find another motor.

Commander Member
    Assuming the wires are all correct. Did you put the correct type of grease in the gear train? If it has graphite you maybe causing a short? GOOD LUCK

Commander Member
    Hi I just wanted to thank you all for reading and answering my post. After fooling around with the wipers I found my problem. The copper (?) disk and contact inside the park mechanism were corroded so I very gently sandblasted them. I figured if I ruined them it wasn't working anyway. After dropping the plastic gear and taking 2days to find it I reassembled everything it works perfectly. The gear fell under my car and was balancing on top of the tailpipe. Thanks again.