Koni Shocks may be available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    As an aside... Are Koni shocks available for earlier cars such as mid to late 1950's sedans and c/k models?

They had a more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme.
    Not sure what you mean by more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme. The later front mounts are the most common type of mounting for cars in the 50's through the 70's + and are still used today.

The later rear type is also very common as well as the earlier one I know about.
    David L

Comment

Found the earlier through 1956 shock configuration. It uses a stud on each end. I also so that there is a different lower control arm in earlier years like 1955. So perhaps my earlier statement is not quite correct but an adapter was used in some earlier years.
      David L

Comment

I know on the gt hawks the later ones have a built in bolt on the axle end and the early ones where stud mounted. I used the 62 and back style on my 64 gt and just changed out the lower mount as they are easier to find and a lot cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
          Not sure what you mean by more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme. The later front mounts are the most common type of mounting for cars in the 50's through the 70's + and are still used today.

The later rear type is also very common as well as the earlier one I know about.
          It is not just the mounting, but the extension and compression measurements. Especially for the rear. If the shock extends too long, and using the Std bumper jack, you might be on the last click before the tire is off the ground.

I've also seen on the front, where the shock did not compress far enough, and ripped the mounting holes off the lower "A" frame. Also on the front, the dog bone on the lower end is longer than a "Chevy" style. Hopefully Koni will use the correct length.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
            It is not just the mounting, but the extension and compression measurements. Especially for the rear. If the shock extends too long, and using the Std bumper jack, you might be on the last click before the tire is off the ground.

I've also seen on the front, where the shock did not compress far enough, and ripped the mounting holes off the lower "A" frame. Also on the front, the dog bone on the lower end is longer than a "Chevy" style. Hopefully Koni will use the correct length.
            As stated earlier the shock will fit not almost fit as is the case with the Camaro shock.

All of the rear shocks have an extension length that is very close.

By the way I decided 50 years ago to not ever use a bumper jack! I carried a hydraulic jack with me in my Studebakers.
            David L

Comment

Originally posted by 64Avanti View Post
              As stated earlier the shock will fit not almost fit as is the case with the Camaro shock.

All of the rear shocks have an extension length that is very close.

By the way I decided 50 years ago to not ever use a bumper jack! I carried a hydraulic jack with me in my Studebakers.
              I have this for a jack...

No Hydraulic oil mess.

Comment

I'm interested in a set.

Comment

No Hydraulic oil mess.
                  i like it!
                  David L

Comment

No Hydraulic oil mess.
                    How well does it work? Has very mixed reviews.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Spoke with Koni today and they are still looking for the drawings. Will have to have a little patience.
                      David L

Comment

Add me to the list. I'll take a set of 4 for my 64 Avanti.

John

Comment

Koni has a fairly extensive variety of products. Twin-tube gas, monotube gas, non-gas hydraulics. Street (red or black) and sporting (yellow). I believe that gas shocks prior to the seventies were generally Bilstein. My only experience with Koni has been the high-tech, non-adjustable FSD, which I liked.

Not sure I see the point in adjustments for wear in occasionally driven collector cars. But adjustment for rebound valving is of some interest. In the early seventies I experimented more than necessary with shocks on my new '73 Camaro L48. I quickly found that some shocks promoted for better control simply familiarized me with every patch and expansion joint in highway paving for miles around. Pointless. I blamed mostly the overly stiff compression valving. But I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject.

So Koni is a respected brand, but nearly as nonspecific as Goodyear. Any clue which product line or technology they have in mind?
                          Last edited by riversidevw; 05-31-2017, 08:26 PM.
                          Gil Zimmerman
                          Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
                          1956 Golden Hawk
                          1958 Packard Hawk
                          1958 President
                          1963 Avanti R2

Comment

The shocks would be the classic shocks that were built back in the 60's and are still built for most applications from the 60's to the 70's. My contact that is working on this has been on travel for the last week so hope to talk to him this week.
                            David L

Comment

Most automotive shocks have most of their damping in rebound (extension). This allows for a softer response when you hit a bump while still providing the required damping. Racing shocks tend to have increased damping in jounce (compression) but that leads to harsher ride.
                              David L

Comment

Why Koni? is there something special about this brand?
                                64 Avanti R1 R5529

Comment

Working...
                                X