Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koni Shocks may be available

President Member

Koni Shocks may be available

Just wanted to post that I am working on getting Koni to build some shocks that will properly fit Studebakers. Info is posted on another thread but the title may not catch all of those interested. If you are interested please let me know as the quantity will make a difference in price.
    David L

Commander Member
    I would like to get one set of Koni shocks for my car. So, yes, please count me in. - Rich G

Speedster Member
    I already told you 2 sets for me. My buddy just told me to tell you 2 cars worth for 1964.
    Georger

I'll take a set. Depending on price, maybe 2 or 3 sets.

I'm in -- one set.

President Member
    Hi Dave,
    Although I can fit three of my cars with what I already have, one more set will always get used.
    Thanks for all your efforts.
    Cheers, Bill

Champion Member
    what kind of time frame & price are you looking at? someone had to ask.
    I need a set soon..
    d.

From 51-66 there are two styles of front and three styles of rear. Which are you having made?
    In the end Ignorance will have conquered all adversaries

Don't hasten the end

Commander Member

Count me in for a set of 4 shocks (front and rear) for my 63 Avanti

Quote Originally Posted by 64Avanti View Post
    Just wanted to post that I am working on getting Koni to build some shocks that will properly fit Studebakers. Info is posted on another thread but the title may not catch all of those interested. If you are interested please let me know as the quantity will make a difference in price.
    Please count me in for a set of 4 Koni shocks for my 63 Avanti and thanks for your efforts on this.

Steve

President Member
    Add another set for my Avanti.

Ken Buchanan

President Member
    One set for a 55 State Sedan.
    One set for a 56 President Classic.
    Two sets total. Thanks
    South Lompoc Studebaker

Speedster Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogkiller View Post
    what kind of time frame & price are you looking at? someone had to ask.
    I need a set soon..
    d.
    Same questions, my emphasis however, is on the cost.
    John

President Member
    As an aside... Are Koni shocks available for earlier cars such as mid to late 1950's sedans and c/k models?

They had a more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greyben View Post
    From 51-66 there are two styles of front and three styles of rear. Which are you having made?
    Ok I know of two front styles. The early cars used an adapter that bolted to the lower A-Frame so the upper and lower mounts were similar. The adapter can be removed and the later style front shocks used. So there is no plan to make the earlier style shocks.

I know of two style rear shocks. Those used from 63 and on. Those used from ?? through 62.. Perhaps someone can clue me in on the earlier rears. I do not have access to my earlier parts books right now so I can't look this up.
    David L

President Member
    I don't know the price yet. The classic red shocks are usually somewhere around $180 each list but often sell for $115 to $125. I will just have to wait on Koni for the price. Of course the price will depend on the quantity.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne View Post
    As an aside... Are Koni shocks available for earlier cars such as mid to late 1950's sedans and c/k models?

They had a more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme.
    Not sure what you mean by more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme. The later front mounts are the most common type of mounting for cars in the 50's through the 70's + and are still used today.

The later rear type is also very common as well as the earlier one I know about.

President Member
    Found the earlier through 1956 shock configuration. It uses a stud on each end. I also so that there is a different lower control arm in earlier years like 1955. So perhaps my earlier statement is not quite correct but an adapter was used in some earlier years.

I know on the gt hawks the later ones have a built in bolt on the axle end and the early ones where stud mounted. I used the 62 and back style on my 64 gt and just changed out the lower mount as they are easier to find and a lot cheaper.

Not sure what you mean by more traditional upper/lower mounting scheme. The later front mounts are the most common type of mounting for cars in the 50's through the 70's + and are still used today.

The later rear type is also very common as well as the earlier one I know about.
    It is not just the mounting, but the extension and compression measurements. Especially for the rear. If the shock extends too long, and using the Std bumper jack, you might be on the last click before the tire is off the ground.

I've also seen on the front, where the shock did not compress far enough, and ripped the mounting holes off the lower "A" frame. Also on the front, the dog bone on the lower end is longer than a "Chevy" style. Hopefully Koni will use the correct length.

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SScopelli View Post
    It is not just the mounting, but the extension and compression measurements. Especially for the rear. If the shock extends too long, and using the Std bumper jack, you might be on the last click before the tire is off the ground.

I've also seen on the front, where the shock did not compress far enough, and ripped the mounting holes off the lower "A" frame. Also on the front, the dog bone on the lower end is longer than a "Chevy" style. Hopefully Koni will use the correct length.
    As stated earlier the shock will fit not almost fit as is the case with the Camaro shock.

All of the rear shocks have an extension length that is very close.

By the way I decided 50 years ago to not ever use a bumper jack! I carried a hydraulic jack with me in my Studebakers.
    David L

As stated earlier the shock will fit not almost fit as is the case with the Camaro shock.

All of the rear shocks have an extension length that is very close.

By the way I decided 50 years ago to not ever use a bumper jack! I carried a hydraulic jack with me in my Studebakers.
    I have this for a jack...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...FU5ffgodumwFPg

No Hydraulic oil mess.

Champion Member
    I'm interested in a set.

President Member

No Hydraulic oil mess.
    i like it!
    David L

No Hydraulic oil mess.
    How well does it work? Has very mixed reviews.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

President Member
    Spoke with Koni today and they are still looking for the drawings. Will have to have a little patience.

Champion Member
    Add me to the list. I'll take a set of 4 for my 64 Avanti.

John

Speedster Member
    Koni has a fairly extensive variety of products. Twin-tube gas, monotube gas, non-gas hydraulics. Street (red or black) and sporting (yellow). I believe that gas shocks prior to the seventies were generally Bilstein. My only experience with Koni has been the high-tech, non-adjustable FSD, which I liked.

Not sure I see the point in adjustments for wear in occasionally driven collector cars. But adjustment for rebound valving is of some interest. In the early seventies I experimented more than necessary with shocks on my new '73 Camaro L48. I quickly found that some shocks promoted for better control simply familiarized me with every patch and expansion joint in highway paving for miles around. Pointless. I blamed mostly the overly stiff compression valving. But I don't have a lot of technical knowledge on the subject.

So Koni is a respected brand, but nearly as nonspecific as Goodyear. Any clue which product line or technology they have in mind?
    Last edited by riversidevw; 05-31-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

President Member
    The shocks would be the classic shocks that were built back in the 60's and are still built for most applications from the 60's to the 70's. My contact that is working on this has been on travel for the last week so hope to talk to him this week.

President Member
    Most automotive shocks have most of their damping in rebound (extension). This allows for a softer response when you hit a bump while still providing the required damping. Racing shocks tend to have increased damping in jounce (compression) but that leads to harsher ride.

Speedster Member
    Why Koni? is there something special about this brand?
    64 Avanti R1 R5529

President Member
    Back in the 60's and 70's Koni was the only high performance shocks available. Those of us who used them like the way they perform. In addition they did make shocks for Studebaker.

I'm in for a set for the Daytona...
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

President Member
    OK it has been a while but I have been discussing the Studebaker shocks with Koni. Had a one hour conference call with them today. They have not been able to find the drawings for the Studebaker shocks here in the US and suspect they were lost in a fire. They do have the drawings in Holland but they are archived in a warehouse. However they have found the damping curves and other data on the shocks. I will be having more discussions next week.

At this point we are just looking at the front shocks for 57 and on and the rear shocks for 63 and on. I am looking at and discussing the 57 through 62 rear shocks. Also the earliest Avanti's through SN 1224 or 1225 used the 57 through 62 shocks. I think we will have a solution for the 57 through 62 rear shocks and this may be workable on earlier models. The biggest problem would be the 56 and earlier front shocks.

Those who did not indicate what year car they wanted the shocks for please let me know.

The shocks will be bases on their 80 series shocks. The original shocks were 82 series. The damping curves will be the same as the earlier shocks.

Speedster Member
    This is a real no-brainer but who is prepared to pay up front for 100+ sets? Would one of the big Stude suppliers work with ya?
    '64 R2 back on da road again

President Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills R2 View Post
    This is a real no-brainer but who is prepared to pay up front for 100+ sets? Would one of the big Stude suppliers work with ya?
    I looked back over this thread, I didn't see anything about a minimum. I'm sure Koni will have one (and what that is, anybody's guess) but nothing was said that I could see.

President Member
    We will have to see. I do have a relationship with Koni for reasons not connected with Studebakers. I do not have plans to work with one of the vendors at this point but I would not say no under the right conditions.

President Member
    David wrote -
    ""The shocks will be bases on their 80 series shocks. The original shocks were 82 series. The damping curves will be the same as the earlier shocks.""

Interesting that many seem to just want "Koni" shocks. No one seem's to care (no one's asked !) about the damping action..!?

David -
    Please explain the 80 and 82 series damping for those of us that aren't up in the older shock performance.
    While I have run them on a couple of cars back in the late 60's/70's...way back, I do not recall the calibration, stock action vs. hi-performance vs. a race shock calibration.

Thanks

Mike

President Member
    Mike,

The damping between the older 82 series and the newer 80 series does not need to be different. Different cars had different damping. The 80 series shocks use different materials that allows them to operate at higher pressures. This allows the use of a smaller piston but still have the same damping characteristics. The damping characteristics for the shocks will close to the same as the original Koni shocks sold for Studebaker's.

The Koni shocks are adjustable for rebound damping. More damping will increase control and improve transient response. Passenger car shocks use more rebound damping than jounce damping to provide a more comfortable ride. Road race cars will normally have shocks that are optimized in both jounce and rebound for each track.

That is my quick response.

President Member
    All of you who indicated they were interested in the Koni shock please let me know what year they are for. If it is for a 63 Avanti let me know the serial number as the rear shocks on early 63's were the same as 62 Studebakers.

President Member
    By the way I indicated that for cars 56 and earlier you could unbolt the adapter that is bolted to the lower control arm and use the newer shocks. That is not correct. The spacing is not correct. I have designed an adapter that will allow using the newer front shocks on the earlier cars.