'50 Business Coupe Rear Interior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: '50 Business Coupe Rear Interior

I need some information on the interior of a business coupe in the area behind the seat. It obviously has a large package tray from the seat to the rear window. The side areas from the door to the rear fender have a vinyl covering. It is a 9G-Q1 Deluxe. Was there anything on the floor in the area to the rear of the seat?

The curtain type vinyl can be removed along with an 8" section of the package tray. What would be the purpose of this feature?

I'm pretty sure the 9G-Q1 Deluxe model had a rubber floor material in the area between the seat and the firewall. Is this correct?

As usual, thanks for your input!
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Perry,
    I think the panel that is removable also tilts up towards the window. I thought that was to allow easier access to the trunk from inside the car, by making the opening bigger.

Are you finally getting around to restoring the business coupe? I'd love to see it some time.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, that makes sense, as there are/were little straps from the package shelf to the movable panel.

Yes, I'm starting to work on it, after 34 years. Wish me luck, it is just out of the basket (as in basket case).

I'm still wondering if there was anything on the floor behind the front (only) seat.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

My business coupe is a 1948. But, I don't think there was any kind of mat or floor cover behind the seat. Remember, behind the seat, everything back there is considered a cargo area. Back when I was a little boy, I kinda fell in love with business coupes. Not any particular brand, but I just loved the concept of a cozy single seat car. I don't ever recall seeing a Studebaker business coupe until I was grown. However, I do recall what happened to them after the doctors, salesmen, and school teachers traded them in on newer vehicles. I remember them being used like trucks, as delivery vehicles or service vehicles for plumbers, farmers, and carpenters. I recall folks building tool boxes into the area behind the seats. Often, the floor would be leveled over the hump with plywood, and doors cut in for underneath storage.

Business coupes were usually just that...for business...cheap transportation with a purpose. Just as folks today, buy a truck cab and chassis, and add whatever utilitarian modifications needed for its specific purpose, the same was common for business coupes, back in the day. One thing I like about the Studebaker business coupes, is the bracing in the body was in the walls and package shelf. Many of the coupes had an X brace behind the seat, that limited the access to the trunk area from inside the car. That also cuts down on the size of items that could be hauled.

I don't think it was until the mid to late 1950's, when young postwar teens came of age, and began looking for cheap used cars to customize, that the business coupes gained popularity. Across the automotive landscape, used, beat-up, worn out business coupes could be bought with "car-hop" earnings. In my opinion, for a business coupe, anything behind the seat should be considered a blank canvas, and owners were free to personalize them to suit their needs.

About the "flip up" part of the package shelf. Mine has hinges (I think). I'll have to go out and check to make sure. I believe that for some years, there was a "jump seat" option. Probably a kit. I can't imagine having jump seats in a post war business coupe without modifying the package shelf. If such an item was available for those models, it would have almost certainly required a kit. That might have included some kind of floor mat, but I don't recall ever seeing one. For my coupe, I have installed a covering made from a generic treaded mat material often seen in industrial plants as covering over concrete at work benches. Has worked great for me.

I really think, if business coupes were considered "cool" from the beginning, there would be many more "collectable" survivors today. Instead, they were used up and discarded like old tin soup cans. Happy to learn that you are about to launch another one back into existence...'specially a Studebaker!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I would like to see your progress as time goes on.

Comment

OK, while taking a break in the shade, I remembered this thread from this morning and checked the curtain hanger on my business coupe. Those vinyl straps "ARE" the hinges! Also, it is such a tight fit, it reminded me why I almost never move it. It takes some fiddling to get it back in place.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Roy, at this time, not much different than when you saw it a few years ago. But I'm mentally into it now. See your private messages, please.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Perry. I never saw it. Are you mixing your Roys up?
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  ... Are you mixing your Roys up?
                  All my Roys are "Mixed UP!"
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

No, I think I'm okay. Radio Roy in the bay area, Antenna Roy in the Placerville area. Sorry for the confusion.

John Clary, thanks for the great insight on business coupes. That is a good positive feature you mentioned that there was no X brace between the trunk and passenger area in Studebakers.
                    Perry
                    \'50 Business Champion
                    \'50 Starlight Champion
                    \'60 Lark Convertible,
                    \'63 GT R1,
                    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I have a 49 Champion Business Coupe that I only drove a couple years in the late 70's until some jerk ran a stop sign and T boned it.
                      I don't recall anything being on the floor behind the seat.
                      I still have the car, but it will take a bit of repair to put it back on the road.
                      It was a fun car and got great fuel economy.

Comment

Working...
                      X