GT Hawk Rear Quarter Window Pocket "Fuzzy" Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: GT Hawk Rear Quarter Window Pocket "Fuzzy" Substitute

I’m restoring a 1963 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk. The outer “cat whiskers” on the rear quarter window “pockets” are worn down and I wanted to change them. Just to clarify, these are the “fuzzy strips” that fit into the stainless steel roof pocket (Studebaker Part 2124-44) at the “C” pillars. I could not find a forum article, vendor, or service shop in Studebakerland for their restoration. Cat whiskers are easy to find. These seem to have been pressed into place at the factory and I could not find a way to remove and replace them.

I’d read about, and successfully used, adhesive backed Velcro strips as an alternative for traditional “cat whiskers” on another make of car. I decided that this was my only alternative for the Hawk. I changed only the outer strip, as the inner strip was in good condition.

See the attached article on how it was done.
    Attached Files

Thank you for a nice write-up.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

That is a good approach to a difficult problem. A few months ago, when I was at that stage of the Hawk, I was very happy that I didn't have to replace the cat whiskers in that area.
      Perry
      \'50 Business Champion
      \'50 Starlight Champion
      \'60 Lark Convertible,
      \'63 GT R1,
      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Thanks for sharing your search and your work. I hadn't realised these parts were unavailable.
        Nice day to all.
        sigpic

Comment

I got a couple of strips of the material from SI a few years ago. The only issue I found was getting the correct spacing when installing the retainers. Velcro sounds like a good alternative though, maybe even better.

Comment

Working...
          X