This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proving grounds disappointment

Due to my schedule in checking out of the hotel and then driving to the Navistar grounds to take advantage of the $20 paid to drive the circuit, I was greeted by a very friendly guard who stated that I was too late, but could watch cars exit. I asked of there was a vantage point to at least see the track and she said no. She then stated that several other Studebaker drivers had been refused entry due to the time factor and that some personally were (in her words) "livid." Since there was no end time stated in ANY of the information from SDC, i assumed (incorrectly) that arrival at 10 would get me on track. I was told the last cars were sent out at 9:30. I get that the track is privately owned and that the chapter did a service to allow members to drive their Studebakers on the track, but poor communication exacerbated the situation. This needed information needs to be corrected/added in the future as I am now out $20 and the time wasted driving to the proving grounds.

Otherwise, it was a fine performance by the Michiana Chapter for the event.

Hi Bob. You are correct on a couple of things. One, this is a privately owned facility and two, we are guests. We apologize that you had such an experience, and you are correct about the communication. When I look at your profile, I see that you are fairly local. Can you please email me privately at rhenn15090@aol.com

Thanks.

Comment

I, for one, really enjoyed the laps around the proving grounds. The only thing that got me some, was the wait. We were told to be there by 0800, but the first flight of cars didn't take to the track till after 0930. I understand wanting to hold off till everyone showed up, but at some point being reasonably punctual has to take over. I try to be a very punctual person, and plan my day accordingly. Make no mistake, I am not in the slightest angry, or even disappointed, I spent the wait looking at the cars and enjoyed it. I appreciate all that went into making this available to us once again, as for some reason I skipped it in 2012.
      Brad
      KD0FRQ

1950 Champion
      1964 Cruiser
      1946 M16

Comment

Originally posted by KD0FRQ View Post
        I, for one, really enjoyed the laps around the proving grounds. The only thing that got me some, was the wait. We were told to be there by 0800, but the first flight of cars didn't take to the track till after 0930. I understand wanting to hold off till everyone showed up, but at some point being reasonably punctual has to take over. I try to be a very punctual person, and plan my day accordingly. Make no mistake, I am not in the slightest angry, or even disappointed, I spent the wait looking at the cars and enjoyed it. I appreciate all that went into making this available to us once again, as for some reason I skipped it in 2012.
        I agree, somehow I ended up being the first car to show up at 7:15 thinking that others would be eager to get started early. Despite the wait, I enjoyed every minute talking to other Studebaker enthusiasts while waiting to start. Driving on the same track that our cars were tested on in the past was a great experience that I'll never forget.
        Randy Ridenour
        Frostburg,MD
        1964 GT Hawk
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X