Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts of the International meet in SB.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My thoughts of the International meet in SB.

The only thing I enjoyed a great deal was the
    Studebaker Museum and the Bldg 84 tour. the rest was a flop

The Hospitality room was terrible! Coffee and doughnuts,come on

Didn't get any kind of memorabilia bag, cup etc. nothing at all

For what I paid for this, I did not get my moneys worth.
    Last edited by Steve-o-Reno; 05-07-2017, 11:33 AM.

I have to jump on this comment and disagree. (See the other thread with positive comments - Big Thank you to the Michiana Chapter).

Aside from the weather, which was admittedly cool and wet much of the time, and which nobody can control, I thought the event was well run, especially considering the overtime the smaller group of non-paid volunteers put in to make this event happen.

I wouldn't expect the hospitality room to have much more than what was available. For people who don't seem to know, hotels can charge $5 for a water, and $6-$7 for a soft drink! This would be a waste of everyone's registration money. Buy your own.

There were some nice memorabilia items available at reasonable cost from our vendors: Again, I don't want to pay for the cost of a mug or something I would never use in a registration fee.

If you really think you can run an event better, and you have at least 50 other people in your area who are willing to bust their asses for no compensation for several days and plan for years, go for it!!!

Comment

Steve,

Were you a late registrant for the Building 84 tour, as you did not sign up for the Building 84 Tour when you registered in December? I am asking to see how that process worked for you, and when you registered for the Tour.

55s is right, there were plenty of souvenirs all over the place at the Fairgrounds, and the Museum had some top notch items this year. They out did themselves with the variety of items, and the prices were excellent. I hope you became a member of the Museum as you enjoyed it so much. It's a great place ran by dedicated people.

As far as the Hospitality Room, when I went in there, there was coffee, water, doughnuts, and cookies. That is more than enough. Most all of this was paid for by the Chapter at the hotel rates....

If you knew the sheer amount of moving parts as well as the financials of an event of this magnitude you would actually say to yourself, "I got a bargain", because you did. When I register for shows at my job it starts at $125, and the Hospitality Room is get your own somewhere else.
      Last edited by Bob Henning; 05-07-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Seriously Steve? You should have stayed home. I drove my 57 Commander from Shorewood Illinois. I never went to the hospitality room, just the swap meet and show. Thoroughly enjoyed meeting people in person I've done business with such as Dave Thibeault, Ernie Loga and Jim Turner. Talking with other members was priceless. The hard work that VOLUNTEERS put in is immense. You should be ashamed of yourself Steve. Like Mom said, if you have nothing nice to say be quiet.

Comment

Steve,

I haven't checked your registration but I will. Simply stated, if you were not at Wednesday's Vendor Night you missed out on the chance to win many door prizes and $500.00 in cash. If you chose not to attend the Buffet again you missed out on the chance to win another $500.00 in cash and many vendor Gift Certificates of $50.00. Oh by the way if you did not come down town on Friday you missed out on a chance to win a 50 Commander and many discounts on great food in many restaurants. We ate at Fiddler's Hearth, a great Irish Restaurant on a buy one entree and get one free. Some of the best Irish Food I have had outside of Ireland and Scotland. So don't blame the Michiana Chapter as they did a great job and there was lots of fun and great things to do. As for souvenirs the Studebaker Museum also had a nice collection of them at reasonable prices. Hopefully you did visit there. There was much to do and much see and much to bring home if you took the time. Oh, I forgot one other item a great 8 page insert in Friday's edition of the South Bend Tribune that made a great collector item for me. Coffee mugs and meet bags tend to get broken or worn out from use.
          sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

The last time i looked south bend was still in the usa, where everyone can express an opinion , there are two sides to every story remember that.

Comment

Thank you Lugamatic. I'm sorry if I have offended some people. I'm comparing this meet with previous meets. Even at the 2012 meet they gave us a bag with stuff to remember SB meet. I did buy $100.00 worth of memerbelia. I did register in December for everything, buffet and bldg 84 which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was great to see the guys from the other chapters. I thought vendor night was just for vendors so didn't go. I thought at the buffet banquet they should do the drawing first, so if you didn't want to stay for the presentation etc you could leave. I didn't attend last years IM so I don't know how that compared to this.
              I know it's alot of work for the committee and I thank you for that.
              I hope I answered your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by lugamatic View Post
                The last time i looked south bend was still in the usa, where everyone can express an opinion , there are two sides to every story remember that.
                Originally posted by Steve-o-Reno View Post
                Thank you Lugamatic. I'm sorry if I have offended some people. I'm comparing this meet with previous meets. Even at the 2012 meet they gave us a bag with stuff to remember SB meet. I did buy $100.00 worth of memerbelia. I did register in December for everything, buffet and bldg 84 which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was great to see the guys from the other chapters. I thought vendor night was just for vendors so didn't go. I thought at the buffet banquet they should do the drawing first, so if you didn't want to stay for the presentation etc you could leave. I didn't attend last years IM so I don't know how that compared to this.
                I know it's alot of work for the committee and I thank you for that.
                I hope I answered your questions.
                Lugamatic...SOOoo right on! Although, those of us with Studebaker personalities, sometimes have faceted perspectives with many sides. I recently attended a university graduation service where the speaker spent a very boring amount of time championing diversity and freedom...except, if you didn't think like him...you must be an evil tyrant.

Steve...good post. Unless I'm misinterpreting your words, you are mainly admitting the experience was not in sync with your expectations. I had that kind of reaction to my Air Force tech school. During basic training, they showed us films of tech school. A lovely campus, smiling faces, and it looked like what I had imagined college would be. Turned out, I got sent to a base where the school was overbooked, and we were housed in old drafty WWII barracks, with a pot bellied stove for heat, and to keep us busy,(until we could start classes) we had marching drills, and given details like hand picking dandelions out of the grass! The very first time I ever experienced homesickness! Certainly didn't live up to my expectations!

(However...it did keep me busy)
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

......everything else was a flop..........The swap meet, the car show, the 196 car parade, the cruise night, the comraderie????? What banquet has there ever been where the presentation of whatever was being celebrated came BEFORE being fed?
                  Giving an opinion as to what you thought was missing is good feedback, calling the show "....a flop" is downright rude and an insult to those who worked hard on it.
                  Some car shows have t shirts made up, Steve would have complained if the shirt didn't have his car depicted.
                  Enough said, kudos to those who volunteered countless hours.
                  Last edited by tim333; 05-08-2017, 07:20 AM.

Comment

I guess the moral of the story is, 'if you don't have anything good to say (along with the bad). don't say anything. So.............. stupak

Comment

Thanks jclary. You are correct. It didn't meet my expectations. Our chapter has had 2 International Meets and a few zone meets and we offered much more. BUT, times have changed and it's all about "DOWNSIZING"

Comment

Downsizing and 'cheap' are two different things. stupak

Comment

You all have heard the last from me on this topic. I will take your advice and not say anymore
                          HAPPY TRAILS WITH YOUR STUDE'S THIS SUMMER.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve-o-Reno View Post
                            Thanks jclary. You are correct. It didn't meet my expectations. Our chapter has had 2 International Meets and a few zone meets and we offered much more. BUT, times have changed and it's all about "DOWNSIZING"
                            Well...this is a forum, read..."discussion." And as such, I'm neither agreeing with you or disparaging you. For my tech school story, the problem was "my" expectations. I admit to having difficulty accepting and adapting to the reality of the situation. In hindsight, I excelled in that school, and learned skills that served me well throughout my life. Due to my "overactive" imagination, it also taught me to try and dampen expectation imaginings of events I'm anticipating. It is a characteristic that continues to haunt me.

Fortunately, if we are to believe most post meet comments thus far, the meet was a very positive experience for most in attendance. That should be very rewarding to those who worked so diligently. As in any human endeavor, remembering to bring a good attitude, and wear a smile, goes a long way toward adapting to and overcoming imagined expectations.
                            John Clary
                            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just for the record! A very large percentage of your registration money goes to Cornerstone Registration, not to the local Chapter.
                              Frank van Doorn
                              Omaha, Ne.
                              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
                              X